US immigration

thecatcher

Just been told by Cunard that in view of the 4 hours it takes to clear US immigration control, Q Victoria will not dock in Brooklyn at the scheduled 6pm on 11th January, instead it will be 6am on 12th January. I would have thought that Cunard have enough experience to keep to the original docking schedule.

So can anyone tell me if 4 hours is a typical time to clear immigration and have you had this problem when docking in Brooklyn?

Every so often, I think its the crew has to go thru immigration and the process takes longer. I know Conquest this morning in Galveston has one of these dates. Im not sure how often they have to do this proces. Everyone always just hopes it isnt on their week.

Host Mach up on the Carnival threads can give you more details.

Just been told by Cunard that in view of the 4 hours it takes to clear US immigration control, Q Victoria will not dock in Brooklyn at the scheduled 6pm on 11th January, instead it will be 6am on 12th January. I would have thought that Cunard have enough experience to keep to the original docking schedule.

So can anyone tell me if 4 hours is a typical time to clear immigration and have you had this problem when docking in Brooklyn?

I don't think Cunard has any control over the US Immigration Department. Cunard can only abide by their rules. Perhaps it is a matter of having to clear the crew, but regardless, if Immigration is telling them it'll take four hours...it'll take four hours. Really can mess up flights home...but then, it's another night on the ship, so not all bad!

You can never tell what immigration is going to do. On our last cruise (not Cunard and not Brooklyn) they decided to require all non US citizens to disembark first, delaying the start of disembarkation for everyone else by 2 hours. At least you were informed of this in advance. On our cruise it was a surprise that even the ship's captain was not informed about in advance.

Unfortunately sometimes, some bright spark comes up with an idea such as separating all the non-US/Canadian cruisers. We have cleared customs/immigration in most cases in under 45 minutes - until that one time when it took us almost three hours.

It is a complete lottery. In this case though, it sound like an extended immigration process with the crew. At least the line has had the good fortune and sense to forewarn everyone.

Sounds more like they want to avoid overnight docking fees.

Overnight docking fees as well as overtime for ICE agents. It is my understanding that immigration officers that work cruise ships are paid overtime any time the ship docks after "normal" pier business hours.

The older I get, the more I turn to the adage, "follow the money" when something seems amiss.

Overnight docking fees as well as overtime for ICE agents. It is my understanding that immigration officers that work cruise ships are paid overtime any time the ship docks after "normal" pier business hours.

Hello,

Please list alternatives. US Immigration officials have an impossible job, because one slip and our beloved country could be in grave danger. No matter how hard they work, someone wants to cut their pay, and lower whatever little status they have.

So, what would you do to replace US immigration as it is presently constructed?

Hello,

Please list alternatives. US Immigration officials have an impossible job, because one slip and our beloved country could be in grave danger. No matter how hard they work, someone wants to cut their pay, and lower whatever little status they have.

No one is complaining about ICE pay. Only speculating as to why the QV is arriving 12 hours later than scheduled.

Hello,

Who said anything about replacing immigration?? I have been told by all the ICE/port agents I deal with daily at Port Elizabeth, Newark, Bayonne and Brooklyn/NYC that a ship, ANY ship, that wants clearance after normal business hours, the cruise line/shippping line will PAY any overtime.

I tried to get a ship cleared in Philly last spring (loaded with South American fruit and wine that my company NEEDED to get delivered). I was told they could care less what time the ship docked. IF I wanted clearance BEFORE normal business hours, I would pay (actually the cargo owner would pay). We had to clear crew in Philly, so not tooo many people but still took 2 ICE agents for the crew PLUS USDA and ICE for the cargo. The price was over $2000.00. Pretty expensive PER HOUR charge for about 6 hours. My customer decided to wait until 6AM.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :cool:

ICE agents should not be the ones clearing ships. They are the investigative branch for CBP. It is CBP who clears the ships.

Ah.....imigration, US, UK European or as I term them anti tourism brigade. They are a law unto themselves. If travelling from UK to US we are supposed to fill the old green form in on line. The cruise line know who is on the ship, passports and boarding cards are checked everytime you leave and board the ship. Your details are checked god know how many times, but imigration need to justify their jobs and check it all again:D Anti tourism brigade as said before:D

Archived