10:40 am flight on a Monday

mehitabel

If we do express departure and hurry down to the departure point on the ship EARLY with our bags, how does a 10:40 am flight look out of MIA? It'll be a Monday morning, April 26th, with two other ships in port (Majesty and Imagination, both coming off of 3-day cruises).

ETA: We'll be coming off of the Jewel's 10-day, if that clarifies anything more.

If we do express departure and hurry down to the departure point on the ship EARLY with our bags, how does a 10:40 am flight look out of MIA? It'll be a Monday morning, April 26th, with two other ships in port (Majesty and Imagination, both coming off of 3-day cruises).

ETA: We'll be coming off of the Jewel's 10-day, if that clarifies anything more.

Miami is a busy airport and the expressway can get busy on workdays if there are any delays on the ship you might not make it IMHO would try a later flight to be safe

Miami is a busy airport and the expressway can get busy on workdays if there are any delays on the ship you might not make it IMHO would try a later flight to be safe
Exactly. Traffic will be much worse than on a weekend. If that ship gets in a little late, express departure will not help the OP in getting to the airport on time.

Unless you run into immigration and customs problems you'll probably be fine. Do you have pier to airport transfers with RCI?

I personally would not do it; although you'd make that flight more often than not, there is only a very small amount of wiggle room in the event of delays. With Mondays being a busy travel day (and two other ships in port), if you do miss the flight, it may be hard (and expensive) to get on another flight. Also many travel insurance policies would not cover your additional expenses of having to purchase new tickets if you miss your flight because of not alloiwng enough time in between the ship's scheduled arrival and your flight's scheduled departure.

Unless you run into immigration and customs problems you'll probably be fine. Do you have pier to airport transfers with RCI?

Do they offer transfers for people with such an early flight? Regardless, transfers are slower and more expensive than a cab so even if an option, that would not be the way to go.

If they do offer the transfers for that flight period.. they WILL by contractual agreement make sure that you are off the ship on a bus and at the airport in time for the flight... I've learned this from previous experience.. If you do spring for the extra transfer they'll take care of you.. Sometimes I wish they had this attitude towards the folks that made all their own arrangements

If they do offer the transfers for that flight period.. they WILL by contractual agreement make sure that you are off the ship on a bus and at the airport in time for the flight... I've learned this from previous experience.. If you do spring for the extra transfer they'll take care of you.. Sometimes I wish they had this attitude towards the folks that made all their own arrangements

While I appreciate everyone's response I live in Miami, have lived here for over 30 years, every cruise we have taken that has gotten back on a Monday, I am sitting at my desk at work in Coral Gables, no later than 8:30 most of the time 8:00. Coral Gables is far away than the airport. Do the express check-out and you will be fine! Have a wonderful cruise!

I wouldn't do it. Miss the flight and you will be hit with all sorts of extra expenses.

Better to book a later flight and if you should get to the airport early, standby for the earlier one.

One other factor. Why spend your whole cruise worrying about whether you will make the flight?

With always the possibility of the ship not being cleared for Customs due to stragglers

Just curious .. I realize that there are frequently unexpected delays at customs/immigration, but not sure what you mean by stragglers. Coming off the ship? How would that affect those who got off before them?

Are you sure about this?

There are many things that can prevent timely disembarkation which are outside of the cruise line's control: immigration issues, labor (port) issues, weather, mechanical to name a few. All the contracts in the world won't help you get off the ship if there's a problem.

That said - I would take this flight with a few caveats: check in on line for your flight from the ship's computers the day before. If you get there within an hour before the flight, and the flight is oversold, you are less likely to be bumped if you checked in early. Take a look at the map of the airport in advance so you know where you are going. Be organized - every minute might count. I would never get on one of the cruise's buses - they will wait to fill up while you sit there going nuts. and then they will make multiple stops to drop off people and sort through luggage, or just dump everyone in one, inconvenient spot. I would head to the taxi line without delay, with all of your documents in order, all bananas and other contraband thrown out, and everyone in your party together. I would have exact fare for the taxi driver. I would also know when the next flight is just in case. Monday's are busy - but airports start to clear out around 9 in the morning after most business travelers are on their way. Good luck.

Our flight connects in DFW, and there are LOTS of them throughout the day. I think we'd be fine to catch another just in case.

Good thinking about the online flight check-in on the ship, airport map and exact fares--I'll do all of those things.

Just curious .. I realize that there are frequently unexpected delays at customs/immigration, but not sure what you mean by stragglers. Coming off the ship? How would that affect those who got off before them?

Non-US citizens are sometimes called to present themselves and their documents to immigration officials before the ship is cleared to begin disembarkation. If these non-US citizen cruisers are sleeping late, at breakfast, or otherwise "straggling" they could hold up the whole ship. Sometimes the ship is cleared in advance of the final destination depending on what the last port is (a US port like Puerto Rico or Key West, or sometimes an immigration official actually boards the ship at the last port and rides the ship in, doing the paperwork in route).

If they do offer the transfers for that flight period.. they WILL by contractual agreement make sure that you are off the ship on a bus and at the airport in time for the flight...

That is not true. They merely offer transfers as a "convenience" but make no promise that you will arrive at the airport in time for your flight.

Here is an example of how stragglers can delay other passengers. On my last two cruises, immigration chose to come aboard and see every single non-US, non-Canadian citizen on board the ship the morning of debarkation. No one was allowed to debark until every single foreign national had cleard immigration.

In October on the NCL Star (LA), the delay was minimal. Self-debark passengers were getting off about 8:10. In the terminal builing a customs agent took our customs form, but nobody checked our US passports, so we flew through the terminal.

In December on Celebrity Constellation (San Diego), some foreign nationals apparently did not report to the on board immigration agents, dispite written instructions in advance and repeated announcements that morning. Nobody (not even US self-debark) was able to leave the ship before 10 am. Many unhappy passengers, possibly missing flights. And unhappy crew searching for the selfish people holding everyone up. One we got to the terminal building, custom forms were collected, but US passports were not checked. Nevertheless the building was packed with tense people rushing everywhere.

Please realize, the ships did not choose this method of immigration clearance. The US authorities call the shots. If immigration tells you to wait, you have to wait, no matter how early your flight. Both these experiences were west coast, and the time to clear was very different (one good, one bad). You may be OK in Miami. I'd print boarding passes the day before, use self-debarkation, use a taxi, have carry-on airline bags only, and have a back-up plan. It will probably work--I sure hope so since you have purchased tickets.

Archived