Piraeus to Athens step by step Please, Thanks

happy_travellers

I always take a bit of foreign currency with us. I would never rely on bank machines (computer glitch, card not working ect). I put anything big on Visa and use local currency for drinks ect. In Canada our banks have Euros readily available and other less common currency can be ordered in 3-4 days. I can't imagine not be able to get some foreign currency at a bank in the US. Totally agree with letting your credit card company know that you are going away, learned this the hard way!

Karen

THANKS, Karen! We can get the euros and other Europe currencies from our banks in Ohio. BUT, the exchange rates and costs makes it less than ideal. I've got twenty euros in hand now, left from our summer 2008 cruise, plus some English pounds, too. We've always had good luck and success using the ATM's all over Europe. We'll be ready for our July 1-16, 2010, cruise from Copenhagen to the Norway Coast, fjords, etc. All of the port stops will be in Norway, making the currency situation easier to manage. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I always take a bit of foreign currency with us. I would never rely on bank machines (computer glitch, card not working ect). I put anything big on Visa and use local currency for drinks ect. In Canada our banks have Euros readily available and other less common currency can be ordered in 3-4 days. I can't imagine not be able to get some foreign currency at a bank in the US. Totally agree with letting your credit card company know that you are going away, learned this the hard way!

Karen

THANKS, Karen! We can get the euros and other Europe currencies from our banks in Ohio. BUT, the exchange rates and costs makes it less than ideal. I've got twenty euros in hand now, left from our summer 2008 cruise, plus some English pounds, too. We've always had good luck and success using the ATM's all over Europe. We'll be ready for our July 1-16, 2010, cruise from Copenhagen to the Norway Coast, fjords, etc. All of the port stops will be in Norway, making the currency situation easier to manage. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Yes, maybe banks in Canada give a better exchange rate; in the US it borders on thievery! :)

I agree it does feel more comfortable to have a few euros on hand upon arrival -- I generally keep a few from a previous trip. However, I've also gone with no local currency in pocket and never had a problem getting money even at the airport ATMs if necessary, including Turkey and Egypt.

Yes, maybe banks in Canada give a better exchange rate; in the US it borders on thievery! :)

I agree it does feel more comfortable to have a few euros on hand upon arrival -- I generally keep a few from a previous trip. However, I've also gone with no local currency in pocket and never had a problem getting money even at the airport ATMs if necessary, including Turkey and Egypt.

Must be the BANKER in me but I always want to have some local money on me.

Reason one - having to take a taxi to find an ATM once cost me more than exchange.

Lining up at an ATM tells pick pockets were I have just put my money is reason two.

REASON #3 I just might need a cold drink before I find the ATM!

Have a wonderful and HAPPY NEW YEARS everyone! Karen

We live in a city of 125,000 in the USA and none of our local banks have Euros. We got ours from our local AAA office. We got about 180 euros from them to get us started. I wanted to have enough with us to not have to hassle with getting money from an airport ATM knowing we'd be exhausted after the flights. We had arranged transportation to our hotel from RomeCabs and I wanted to be able to cover our first day or so of cash expenses with us.

The next morning I got Euros from a Rome ATM.

Our family of 4 (10 and 3 years old kids) did Athens on our own. Left the ship as soon as it was possible (around 8:10 a.m.) Followed the map handed to us on the way out of the terminal building to get to the metro station. Took about 25 minutes. Bought tickets at window using a combination of grunts, gestures, etc. Validated in validation machine. Trip took 15-20 minutes. Piraeus is the end of the line, so you can't go wrong. Exited metro at Monastiriki and essentially followed our noses up the hill to the Acropolis. Did get help from one man using grunts and gestures and the word "Acropolis" to make sure we were going the right way. There are also brown guidance signs.

Bought the 12 euro ticket for the three of us who needed it (preschooler free) and saw temples, etc. Pretty much everything was under some kind of renovation/scaffolding, which limited how much you could see. There are interpretive signs in English, but they mostly talk about the renovations, not what you are looking at. Glad we did our research in advance. (Loaded Egypt, Greece, and Rome: Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean on the Kindle before we went and read it on the sea days. Highly recommend this book if you like an academic approach that integrates the development of the cultures). Relatively clean bathrooms in modern building on the top. We were done after about 90 minutes and just as the tour buses started arriving. Group tours from the ships looked dreadful - 60 people being yelled at. One tour guide even had a whistle she was blowing at her group. Not our kind of thing at all.

Walked down and visited Temple of Zeus, Roman Forum and some other sites that are also included on the 12 euro ticket. Roman Forum also has a bathroom - not so clean, but you do what you have to when you have a 3-year-old. Bring your own sanitizer on the trip with you. Also your own toilet paper.

They were getting ready for Christmas (orthodox churches celebrate on Epiphany), so had fun going through children's fair (get Santa to lead your kid on a pony). Went back to Monastiriki Square for lunch. Had a street souvlaki (the restaurants with the sidewalk tables have walk-up windows that are cheaper, which was great with us) and enjoyed a band concert of Christmas songs from a fully uniformed marching band, and got some free pastries from a lady in a Santa outfit who was giving them out. We hung out and people watched, and then headed back to the ship at about 3 p.m.

A very nice, low-key day that was thrilling for the 10-year-old who has a thing for Greek mythology and was not very expensive for us.

We had a printed out map of Athens to find things, but found that maps they hand you or that you bring tend to be in Roman letters, while street signs are in Greek letters. It's worth having a look at the Greek alphabet before you go so you don't confuse your Ps with Rho's. etc.

We had a printed out map of Athens to find things, but found that maps they hand you or that you bring tend to be in Roman letters, while street signs are in Greek letters. It's worth having a look at the Greek alphabet before you go so you don't confuse your Ps with Rho's. etc.

Wish the internet had existed in 1971 so we would have been better prepared for our honeymoon in Greece.

We rented a VW Beetle to travel the Peloponessus and picked it up in Athens. With our trusty road map on my wife's lap we proceeded to circle through Athens at least twice as we tried to translate from Roman letters to the Greek alphabet on street signs.

The marriage survived.

Wish the internet had existed in 1971 so we would have been better prepared for our honeymoon in Greece.

We rented a VW Beetle to travel the Peloponessus and picked it up in Athens. With our trusty road map on my wife's lap we proceeded to circle through Athens at least twice as we tried to translate from Roman letters to the Greek alphabet on street signs.

The marriage survived.

Ah, how wonderful that must have been, despite the language issues. I too travelled around Greece in an old beetle in 1971, purchased in Munich for $200! That marriage did not survive, alas, but that's for the good, since my second one has thrived, and I took my husband to the Peloponnese a few years back. I hadn't actually been to that part of Greece, but it reminded me at times of the old days. Touristy, but just a bit, not too much. It's a beautiful place still!

This may be a stupid question, but are the metros in Athens above or below ground? About how long does it take to get from the ships to Athens?

Also, are taxis an option? I'm assuming that there must be taxis lined up at the pier......

This may be a stupid question, but are the metros in Athens above or below ground? About how long does it take to get from the ships to Athens?

Also, are taxis an option? I'm assuming that there must be taxis lined up at the pier......

Both! From Piraeus, the green line is mostly above ground, but in central Athens itself, the metro is mostly belowground. It's a 20-minute walk from the cruiseport to the metro terminus in Piraeus, then about a 22-minute metro ride to central Athens.

Taxis are definitely an option; about a 20-minute ride to central Athens for about 15-20 Euros, depending upon how well you bargain. The taxis are lined up right outside the cruise port terminal.

Enjoy!

Our family of 4 (10 and 3 years old kids) did Athens on our own. Left the ship as soon as it was possible (around 8:10 a.m.) Followed the map handed to us on the way out of the terminal building to get to the metro station. Took about 25 minutes. Bought tickets at window using a combination of grunts, gestures, etc. Validated in validation machine. Trip took 15-20 minutes. Piraeus is the end of the line, so you can't go wrong. Exited metro at Monastiriki and essentially followed our noses up the hill to the Acropolis. Did get help from one man using grunts and gestures and the word "Acropolis" to make sure we were going the right way. There are also brown guidance signs.

Bought the 12 euro ticket for the three of us who needed it (preschooler free) and saw temples, etc. Pretty much everything was under some kind of renovation/scaffolding, which limited how much you could see. There are interpretive signs in English, but they mostly talk about the renovations, not what you are looking at. Glad we did our research in advance. (Loaded Egypt, Greece, and Rome: Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean on the Kindle before we went and read it on the sea days. Highly recommend this book if you like an academic approach that integrates the development of the cultures). Relatively clean bathrooms in modern building on the top. We were done after about 90 minutes and just as the tour buses started arriving. Group tours from the ships looked dreadful - 60 people being yelled at. One tour guide even had a whistle she was blowing at her group. Not our kind of thing at all.

Walked down and visited Temple of Zeus, Roman Forum and some other sites that are also included on the 12 euro ticket. Roman Forum also has a bathroom - not so clean, but you do what you have to when you have a 3-year-old. Bring your own sanitizer on the trip with you. Also your own toilet paper.

They were getting ready for Christmas (orthodox churches celebrate on Epiphany), so had fun going through children's fair (get Santa to lead your kid on a pony). Went back to Monastiriki Square for lunch. Had a street souvlaki (the restaurants with the sidewalk tables have walk-up windows that are cheaper, which was great with us) and enjoyed a band concert of Christmas songs from a fully uniformed marching band, and got some free pastries from a lady in a Santa outfit who was giving them out. We hung out and people watched, and then headed back to the ship at about 3 p.m.

A very nice, low-key day that was thrilling for the 10-year-old who has a thing for Greek mythology and was not very expensive for us.

Question please - did you not transfer from the green line to the red line at Omonia Station? My notes say to take green line from Pireaus and transfer to red line at Omonia square. Take red line to Akropolis.

Thank you!

Question please - did you not transfer from the green line to the red line at Omonia Station? My notes say to take green line from Pireaus and transfer to red line at Omonia square. Take red line to Akropolis.

Thank you!

There are two ways you can do it. If you transfer at Omonia and go to the Akropolis stop, you will have the easier route of access up to the Acropolis. If you take the direct route to Monasteriki, you don't have to change lines but you do have a steeper trek up to the Acropolis.

They were getting ready for Christmas (orthodox churches celebrate on Epiphany)

Orthodox faiths generally use the Julian calendar, not the standard Gregorian calendar, which makes Christmas about two weeks later.

• 3 weeks later...
Here are the notes I've compiled (based on information on this board and my own research) for our DIY plan for Athens next June:

Depart ship early – around 7:00 to 7:15 am, because there is a lot to see and it does take a while to get into Athens from the port of Piraeus. You can walk to the metro (about 30 mins) or look for a taxi. There is a good, safe sidewalk, and as long as you keep the water on your left and keep walking past all the ferry piers, you can’t miss seeing the escalator and overhead walkway that lead across the main street to the metro stop. Fare is 1 €, or 3€ for an all-day pass, and the metro was very efficient since it is not affected by traffic.

There is only one subway line at Piraeus (Green line). The Green line is also called the Electric Train; it’s not considered the “metro” as the Red and Blue lines are. Beware of pickpockets on the trains. Take the Green line to Omonia station (Omonia square) and transfer there to the red line. Travel on red line to Akropolis stop.

When you get off the metro, look around to get your bearings. First, visit Hadrian’s Arch (at the entrance of the Temple of Zeus; Amallias Avenue) and the Temple of Olympian Zeus (completed by Hadrian around 130 AD). The Temple opens at 8am. You can buy your 12 € combo ticket here and use it at most of the places visited this morning. If time permits, visit the new Acropolis museum, close to the SE entrance of the Acropolis.

Next, head for the southeast entrance of the Acropolis (included in your 12 € combo ticket). There is so much to see there, including the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, the Propylaia, the Odeion of Herodes Atticus, and the Theater of Dionysus. (Get Frommer’s “Athens Past and Present” book and Peter Connolly’s “The Ancient City” before your trip to get oriented.) If you prefer a guide, there were several of them offering tours by the entrance. Be prepared: some part of the Acropolis is almost always in scaffolding.

Coming down off the Acropolis, walk to the ancient Agora (included in your 12 € combo ticket). (For a good map, see http://www.athensguide.com/map/athens.htm .) Tour the Temple of Hephaestos (the only ancient Greek temple with an intact roof), the Agora, and the small but excellent museum housed in the Stoa of Attalos. Then head next door to the Roman Forum (also included in combo ticket) and view the Temple of the Winds.

Then head towards the National Archaeological Museum: walk to the Monastiraki (Green line) metro stop nearby, and take it to Viktoria stop, then walk until you can see the museum. It should be time for lunch and there are tons of cafés near the museum.

Map showing location of Viktoria metro station and museum: http://www.dolphin-hellas.gr/Maps/Athens/Map-Mousseio.htm

At 7 €, the National Archaeological Museum of Athens is an amazing bargain. What a superlative collection! You can easily spend hours here and still not see everything. They have some incredible pieces, including the well-known smiling Kouros, the spear-throwing Poseidon rescued from the sea, the jockey of Artemision, and Trojan gold including Schliemann's "Gold Mask of Agamemnon".

After the museum, return to the Viktoria station and take the Green line Metro back to Piraeus, and walk or (hopefully!) taxi to the ship. Allow about an hour for transit back to the ship (e.g., plan to leave the Museum by 4pm).

Another good interactive map with photos and explanations: http://www.chem.uoa.gr/Location/AthensMap/Athensmap.htm

Highly recommended walking tours are offered by this company:

http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/tour04.html

Great research. You can usually ask for a pocket metro map at the train stations. I would suggest buying the all day pass which allows you to travel on the electric rail, buses, trolleys, the urban rail and the metro. If you are headed to the Acropolis on the green line(electric rail) which travels from Piraeus to Kiffisia. I would strongly suggest making the transfer from the green line(electric) to the red line (metro )at the Syndagma station instead of at the Omnia station. It is a less confusing. At the Syndagma station, you can exit the station to see the Parlament building and see the changing of the guards(just across the street). Than go back into the station on the red line and get off at the Acropolis station just a few exits away.

Opps! I made an error in the above post. Again, I would suggest making the switch of the lines at Monistriaki (I said Syngdama). The Omonia station is very confusing and again to be mindful of your belongings--pick pockets.

If you would like to find out time tables, pricing and see the metro maps you can go to www.amel.gr and click on the British flag for an english version of the site. I have always picked up a pocket map(free) in English that shows all the lines from the stations. The best value is to purchase the all day pass. This pass is called the 24 hour pass for 3euros. You can ride any form of transportation for the day: Electric train, the metro, trolleys, buses or the suburban rail. Remember to valid the ticket prior to boarding.

The electric line is line #1 (green line--Pieraus-Kiffissia)

The Metro has two lines: Line 2 is the red line and Line 3 is the Blue line.

From Piereaus take the green line seven stops and switch at Monistriaki to the Blue line. You will than transfer from the blue line after one stop at the Syndagma station and than take the Red line one stop to Akropoli station. This is the Acropolis stop.

Again at Syndagma you could exit the station to see the changing of the guards.

Opps! I made an error in the above post. Again, I would suggest making the switch of the lines at Monistriaki (I said Syngdama). The Omonia station is very confusing and again to be mindful of your belongings--pick pockets.

If you would like to find out time tables, pricing and see the metro maps you can go to www.amel.gr and click on the British flag for an english version of the site. I have always picked up a pocket map(free) in English that shows all the lines from the stations. The best value is to purchase the all day pass. This pass is called the 24 hour pass for 3euros. You can ride any form of transportation for the day: Electric train, the metro, trolleys, buses or the suburban rail. Remember to valid the ticket prior to boarding.

The electric line is line #1 (green line--Pieraus-Kiffissia)

The Metro has two lines: Line 2 is the red line and Line 3 is the Blue line.

From Piereaus take the green line seven stops and switch at Monistriaki to the Blue line. You will than transfer from the blue line after one stop at the Syndagma station and than take the Red line one stop to Akropoli station. This is the Acropolis stop.

Again at Syndagma you could exit the station to see the changing of the guards.

Thanks for the details. Stopping at Syntagma might be a good option for some, but I'm not interested in seeing the changing of the guards (done it already), and would rather not switch trains twice. Is Omonia really that bad? (I am used to taking public transit.)

I have been to Athens on 12 different occasions spending a few weeks to a few months and in my opinion--I would avoid the Omonia station. The transfers are very quick and easy between the red/green/blue lines. For others(I know you have seen the changing of the guards) at the Syndgama station --with your back facing the guards --you can walk across the street and past the square where you will see a MCDonalds. If you walk the street that is to the left of the MCDonlads you can walk all the way to the Monistriki area where you can get some nice views of the acropolis and see lots of touristy vendors. This area has some nice typical tavera resturants at the end of the long street--Thanasis and Savas both are well known in for their Souvlaki and Gyros. This area is also nice for people watching. This is a nice way to break up your day and visit to the Acropolis.

I don't remember it being a very long walk from Monastiraki station to the Acropolis. We didn't bother switching trains and the walk from Monastiraki was very pleasant.

There are different entrances to the Acropolis. I'm planning to go to the one nearest the Akropoli station for several reasons: 1) less of a climb to the top of the Acropolis, and 2) it fits into my schedule for the day better (e.g., other things nearby that I want to see, such as the temple of Zeus, the Acropolis museum) so I don't have to backtrack later.

Here are the notes I've compiled (based on information on this board and my own research) for our DIY plan for Athens next June:

Depart ship early – around 7:00 to 7:15 am, because there is a lot to see and it does take a while to get into Athens from the port of Piraeus. You can walk to the metro (about 30 mins) or look for a taxi. There is a good, safe sidewalk, and as long as you keep the water on your left and keep walking past all the ferry piers, you can’t miss seeing the escalator and overhead walkway that lead across the main street to the metro stop. Fare is 1 €, or 3€ for an all-day pass, and the metro was very efficient since it is not affected by traffic.

There is only one subway line at Piraeus (Green line). The Green line is also called the Electric Train; it’s not considered the “metro” as the Red and Blue lines are. Beware of pickpockets on the trains. Take the Green line to Omonia station (Omonia square) and transfer there to the red line. Travel on red line to Akropolis stop.

When you get off the metro, look around to get your bearings. First, visit Hadrian’s Arch (at the entrance of the Temple of Zeus; Amallias Avenue) and the Temple of Olympian Zeus (completed by Hadrian around 130 AD). The Temple opens at 8am. You can buy your 12 € combo ticket here and use it at most of the places visited this morning. If time permits, visit the new Acropolis museum, close to the SE entrance of the Acropolis.

Next, head for the southeast entrance of the Acropolis (included in your 12 € combo ticket). There is so much to see there, including the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, the Propylaia, the Odeion of Herodes Atticus, and the Theater of Dionysus. (Get Frommer’s “Athens Past and Present” book and Peter Connolly’s “The Ancient City” before your trip to get oriented.) If you prefer a guide, there were several of them offering tours by the entrance. Be prepared: some part of the Acropolis is almost always in scaffolding.

Coming down off the Acropolis, walk to the ancient Agora (included in your 12 € combo ticket). (For a good map, see http://www.athensguide.com/map/athens.htm .) Tour the Temple of Hephaestos (the only ancient Greek temple with an intact roof), the Agora, and the small but excellent museum housed in the Stoa of Attalos. Then head next door to the Roman Forum (also included in combo ticket) and view the Temple of the Winds.

Then head towards the National Archaeological Museum: walk to the Monastiraki (Green line) metro stop nearby, and take it to Viktoria stop, then walk until you can see the museum. It should be time for lunch and there are tons of cafés near the museum.

Map showing location of Viktoria metro station and museum: http://www.dolphin-hellas.gr/Maps/Athens/Map-Mousseio.htm

At 7 €, the National Archaeological Museum of Athens is an amazing bargain. What a superlative collection! You can easily spend hours here and still not see everything. They have some incredible pieces, including the well-known smiling Kouros, the spear-throwing Poseidon rescued from the sea, the jockey of Artemision, and Trojan gold including Schliemann's "Gold Mask of Agamemnon".

After the museum, return to the Viktoria station and take the Green line Metro back to Piraeus, and walk or (hopefully!) taxi to the ship. Allow about an hour for transit back to the ship (e.g., plan to leave the Museum by 4pm).

Another good interactive map with photos and explanations: http://www.chem.uoa.gr/Location/AthensMap/Athensmap.htm

Highly recommended walking tours are offered by this company:

http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/tour04.html

Again, great research. Another comment is if you go to the site mentioned above www.athensguide.com. There is a hop on and hop off bus that stops at the major twenty sites in Athens. You can pick this bus up in the Syndgma area. The bus number is 400 and cost 5 euros (valid for 24 hours). You have to purchase the ticket from the driver. The bus runs from 7AM - 9PM and would save some walking. To see a map of the route you can visit the site.

My 79 year old mother and I will be staying at the Airhotel Parthenon after our cruise. Should we take the metro to the Akropoli station or do you think we need to take a taxi straight from the port? We will each have a wheeled suitcase and a carry on bag. Also, when you change to the red line do you need to buy another fare?

There are different types of tickets that you can buy. When you purchase your ticket make sure you get a ticket that includes the electric line(green line) and the Metro. There are different fares if you are using just the green line. If you google the athens metro you can pull up a transit map and fares. I belive one of the fares is valid for 90 minutes. The best value woud be the all day pass for 3 euros. You can travel on the the electric rail, metro, trolley, and buses (any of the combination for 24 hours). Remember you must validate your ticket prior to boarding. There is machine you stick your ticket into prior to boarding. Remember to kept your ticket until you exit your form of transportation even if it isn't a 24 pass.

Archived