Flying in on the day of your cruise

DAllenTCY

Thanks to the latest attempt to blow up an airplane the other day, we all can expect longer delays at the airport. Some experts now advise 4 hours before your flight for international flights, and more than 2 hours for domestic. You'll find longer, slower security lines. You also may be required to check more bags, and you may only be allowed one carry on bag....which you may not touch for the last hour of your flight. You may no longer place anything under the seat in front of you. Some say that you can not use a blanket or pillow, or place a jacket on your lap. It can only get worse...just be prepared.

Oh, by the way...you can't go to the bathroom for the last hour of the flight.

David

Thanks to the latest attempt to blow up an airplane the other day, we all can expect longer delays at the airport. Some experts now advise 4 hours before your flight for international flights, and more than 2 hours for domestic. You'll find longer, slower security lines. You also may be required to check more bags, and you may only be allowed one carry on bag....which you may not touch for the last hour of your flight. You may no longer place anything under the seat in front of you. Some say that you can not use a blanket or pillow, or place a jacket on your lap. It can only get worse...just be prepared.

Oh, by the way...you can't go to the bathroom for the last hour of the flight.

David

So, if you can't go to the bathroom for the last hour of the flight, some genius will decide, oh, maybe we should stop serving in-flight coffee and drinks. It will happen, you watch.

So, if you can't go to the bathroom for the last hour of the flight, some genius will decide, oh, maybe we should stop serving in-flight coffee and drinks. It will happen, you watch.

So what will prevent the evil-doers from "using" the restroom at 70 minutes before landing to enact their dastardly deeds? :rolleyes:

Food for thought......

Apparently, you can't have access to your carryon luggage or have a book, magazine, etc. in your lap for the last hour either.

My daughter flew back - direct - from Honduras to YYZ (Toronto), so her flight wasn't affected, but people boarding flights to US destinations had a full luggage search AND a pat down. Yikes.:eek:

This morning I read on the Transport Canada website that you can't have carry on luggage other than a small purse, camera, necessary medical devices, laptop, coats,... Now what will I do if my luggage doesn't arrive when I do? I always pack the essentials in my carry on, just in case. I guess the restrictions will make boarding quicker but I will be antsy the whole flight to see if our luggage makes it to the connecting flight. I don't need the extra worry but I will celebrate if all goes well with my travels on Friday. Perhaps I will do the layered look for travelling..... Oh well.

This morning I read on the Transport Canada website that you can't have carry on luggage other than a small purse, camera, necessary medical devices, laptop, coats,... Now what will I do if my luggage doesn't arrive when I do? I always pack the essentials in my carry on, just in case. I guess the restrictions will make boarding quicker but I will be antsy the whole flight to see if our luggage makes it to the connecting flight. I don't need the extra worry but I will celebrate if all goes well with my travels on Friday. Perhaps I will do the layered look for travelling..... Oh well.

I'm flying to Florida this Friday via Toronto. I just bought a smaller camera bag to fit in my "small purse" today. I'm also worried about my luggage not showing up. Maybe I'll wear my bathing suit under my jeans and top instead of undergarments :) Oh, and a pair of Depends. Wouldn't want to tinkle in my panties.

I'm flying to Florida this Friday via Toronto. I just bought a smaller camera bag to fit in my "small purse" today. I'm also worried about my luggage not showing up. Maybe I'll wear my bathing suit under my jeans and top instead of undergarments :) Oh, and a pair of Depends. Wouldn't want to tinkle in my panties.

Good luck Sue. We just flew back from Ft Lauderdale today. The flight arrived 10 minutes late,we had NO PROBLEMS in FLL. No line up's no hassles, the fastest I've ever made it to a gate in my life!!! It was little under 20 minutes from the curb to the gate including checking in 2 bags.

When we arrived back in YYZ I noticed the long lines and extra screen that was happening. Take something warm it was very cool when we left.

Bruce

Remember that old TV ad for luggage where the man wore all his clothing instead of using a suitcase? Well, that may be what we will all be doing soon. I've depended on that carry on bag instead of checking in bags for lots of trips. Shame that our way of life changes because of extremists.

Ha ha ha ha

Good luck Sue. We just flew back from Ft Lauderdale today. The flight arrived 10 minutes late,we had NO PROBLEMS in FLL. No line up's no hassles, the fastest I've ever made it to a gate in my life!!! It was little under 20 minutes from the curb to the gate including checking in 2 bags.

When we arrived back in YYZ I noticed the long lines and extra screen that was happening. Take something warm it was very cool when we left.

Bruce

Thanks for the update. Good to hear you had a positive experience. I've heard it's not too bad at the Ottawa airport and most flights are leaving on time. It's Toronto that has me concerned. Hope Security doesn't think my "small purse" is too big. At least I have a direct flight back to Ottawa from Orlando. Maybe by Jan. 15th all will have settled down a bit.

And this is why driving looks more and more and more and more attractive... If I need to start flying in two days prior I may as well drive myself and stop when and where I'd like, pack what I want how I want, eat and drink what I'd like, etc.

Next up, full body cavity searches...

... you may only be allowed one carry on bag....which you may not touch for the last hour of your flight. You may no longer place anything under the seat in front of you. Some say that you can not use a blanket or pillow, or place a jacket on your lap. Oh, by the way...you can't go to the bathroom for the last hour of the flight.

David

But all of these restrictions only apply for flights landing in the US, don't they?? I hope they don't apply to our upcoming flight to Europe. Of course, that's 9 months away and the rules could all change several times by then. :rolleyes:

But all of these restrictions only apply for flights landing in the US, don't they?? I hope they don't apply to our upcoming flight to Europe. Of course, that's 9 months away and the rules could all change several times by then. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's for flights landing in the US. I hope things will be changing soon. Flying is bad enough without all these extra precations going on now. If this continues I will think about cancelling my Oct.2010 cruise in favor for flying somewhere that doesn't require these restrictions.

What about carrying on meds? Any new restrictions for that?:confused:

Not so far. I think I read somewhere that people were saying no carry on....purse or otherwise. I wonder how that would work. Hmmmm...where do I put my passport....my money...meds..etc. This is a very frustrating situation and we are getting minimal info in Canada. We have been told you can carry a small purse....ok what does that mean? Do my meds need to fit into my small purse?

Not so far. I think I read somewhere that people were saying no carry on....purse or otherwise. I wonder how that would work. Hmmmm...where do I put my passport....my money...meds..etc. This is a very frustrating situation and we are getting minimal info in Canada. We have been told you can carry a small purse....ok what does that mean? Do my meds need to fit into my small purse?

Does this mean I can't carry my HUGE Dooney?:eek:

I'm pretty sure it's for flights landing in the US. I hope things will be changing soon. Flying is bad enough without all these extra precations going on now. If this continues I will think about cancelling my Oct.2010 cruise in favor for flying somewhere that doesn't require these restrictions.

We were thinking about putting a deposit on a spring cruise when we were onboard, but when we heard about the recent problems we decided we'd wait and look for something in Europe or out of Canada in the spring so we could avoid all the problems.

We were thinking about putting a deposit on a spring cruise when we were onboard, but when we heard about the recent problems we decided we'd wait and look for something in Europe or out of Canada in the spring so we could avoid all the problems.

Sounds like a good plan. I was about to book something for my milestone birthday next Dec. but for sure now I'm holding off on that.

Re.: Small purse. This will not be the case on Friday when I fly into the US from Canada. I'm going to be carring an over-the-shoulder beach size bag (12 x 18) complete with: Tickets, passport, wallet, meds, camera (SLR size) and a folding cane. As you can see, these few items will not fit in a small purse. God, grant me patience at Security and US Customs:)

Archived