Celebrity NOT helpful with airline problems

just G

Celebrity Millenium sailing out of PR 1/2/2010

January 3, 2010.

Well, it is noon in St. Croix and we finallyare on the ship, the Celebrity Milli. But, we didn't get here until ten this morning. Our flight from Boston was delayed several hours because of problems with an engine gauge. So, we missed our connection to San Juan. I booked my air through Celebrity, which is something I never do (I should know better!!!) So they should have been very helpful in getting me through to the ship - think again!

I was on the phone with them for a LONG time - talked with a man named Nine. Believe me when I say - Celebrity was No help - they wouldn't do anything. I was instructed to work with Delta to make other arrangement to get to the ship. When I told Nine that I booked my air with them so that they would fix any problems, he told me that their contract with Delta required Delta to fix the problem. Well, I thought my contract with Celebrity required Celebrity to fix the problem WRONG!

After three hours of phone conversations and ticket counter discussions, Delta flew us into Saint Thomas, where they put us up in a very nice hotel, and we took the Cessta over to St. Croix this morning.

To top things off - we, of course, had transfers from the air port in SJ to the ship, but those were not honored on St. Croix and Celebrity refused to pay the Taxi! I am appauled.

Celebrity has always been my favorite cruise line - bar not - but in the last 4 years, we have sailed on Carnival probably 6 times due to cost mostly. I sailed on Princess once and was disappointed in them and refuse to sail with them again. I was so excited to be returning to the "classy" cruiseline. Unfortunately, I think I will be returning to Carnival. This has left a really bad taste in my mouth. I should not have had to spend three hours on the telephone and at the ticket counter - Celebrity should have been more helpful - or at least a little helpful!

On the bright side, the ship is beautiful, and out room steward is wonderful. Our CC, aft cabin is also great. Let's hope the rest of our cruise makes up for the mishaps. I will write a full review upon our return. I have already started.

Enjoy our cruise and hopefully not let your start spoil the rest of your vacation. Easy for me to say, but that would be my priority at this point.

I would think that you should be able to get a refund for the transfers that you did not use.

I have never cruised on Carnival, but I am not sure that they would have handled it any different. I always use AA if available and fly in a day early to avoid any problems like yours. IMO the burden of responding to airline/flight problems always falls to the ticketed airline.

Have a great time and deal with the issue after your cruise.

WOW... good to hear, yet again, that just because you book your air with the cruise line that it does not mean everything will be perfect and they will solve all your problems.

I always book my own air... give myself extra days to get where I need to be... and deal with the cruise line as little as possible. As much as I really LOVE Celebrity, I think their customer service is pitiful.

I am really sorry for the trouble you had, but I was in your shoes on my very first cruise on the Century in March of 1998. Our flight was booked (through Celebrity) from Toronto to Cleveland to Miami with Continental Airlines. The plane from Toronto to Cleveland had a spark plug problem and was unable to depart.Weather was also an issue as was the fact that it was March Break. Therefore we missed our connection in Cleveland and never made it to Miami. To make a long story short, working with Continental and not Celebrity, we were flown from Toronto to Newark and put up overnight. The next day we were flown to San Juan where we met the ship the next day. We missed two nights of the cruise. All costs were covered by Continental (including first class flights and hotel and meals). But, we did learn a lesson. From then on, we book our own flights and always leave a day or two before the cruise departure date. The extra hotel expense is worth peace of mind. Celebrity guarantees that you will get to the ship if you book air through them, but not necessarily on the debarkation date.

Shelley

I have never cruised on Carnival, but I am not sure that they would have handled it any different. I always use AA if available and fly in a day early to avoid any problems like yours. IMO the burden of responding to airline/flight problems always falls to the ticketed airline.

The bolded part is always good advice particularly when trying to fly at this time of year albeit moreso for weather-related reasons.

There is a misconception that when booking air with the cruise lines they are responsible for the air portion. This is not the case now and it never was the case.

In the past the cruise lines worked with the airlines and helped you when an air problem occurred, but they were not required to do so.

Today the airlines do not work with anyone regardless of who you are. Your situation with celebrity has been repeated with almost every cruise line, there is little if anything a Cruise line can do when the airlines don't care and won't work with them.

I rarely book air with the cruise lines as they are usually much higher than booking myself with the airline. The only time I have found them cheaper is with international flights

Guest maddycat

Sorry for your flight problems. Try to forget it for now and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Do you have travel insurance? If so, it would probably cover the price of the taxi to the ship and any other incidental expences. Celebrity should definitly give you a refund for the transfer from Miami airport to the cruise port.

I always fly in a day or two early especially when flying east to west, to San Juan, or to Europe. And I buy travel insurance.

There are too many variables that could cause you to miss a flight. Even on some North/South flights (Like San Diego to Seattle or Vancouver) I go in a day early. I also try to consider where the ship will be the second day. If you miss the departure, you still cannot always get on the ship the second day.

All cruiselines offer air ticketing as a convenience for their cruise passengers. The ultimate responsibility for getting you to the ship does lie with the airline.

Perhaps, more accurately, the ultimate responsibility for getting to the ship lies with the cruise passenger.

I was on the phone with them for a LONG time - talked with a man named Nine. Believe me when I say - Celebrity was No help - they wouldn't do anything. I was instructed to work with Delta to make other arrangement to get to the ship. When I told Nine that I booked my air with them so that they would fix any problems, he told me that their contract with Delta required Delta to fix the problem. Well, I thought my contract with Celebrity required Celebrity to fix the problem WRONG!

Did you by chance read the cruise contract you entered into??? VERY clearly defined in paragraph 5 that hotels, tours, excursions, AIR, etc are booked as a CONVENIENCE for the passengers and Celebrity has NO responsibility or liability for actions of 3rd party vendors.

You are very lucky that Delta got you to the ship. They did NOT have to. Delta's obligation ended when they got you to your original destination. You COULD have been subject to finding your own transportation to the cruise, paying for such transportation and either eating the charges or turning them into your travel insurance company and HOPING the air delay met the requirements for "delayed air". Quite a few policies now REQUIRE delay to be 6 hours or more.

Don't blame the cruise line. Almost all cruise line's contract of carriage/cruise contract carry the same language. You are on your own to deal with the airline when booking cruise air.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/cruise_ticket_contract/Celebrity_04_23_08.pdf

Did you by chance read the cruise contract you entered into??? VERY clearly defined in paragraph 5 that hotels, tours, excursions, AIR, etc are booked as a CONVENIENCE for the passengers and Celebrity has NO responsibility or liability for actions of 3rd party vendors.

You are very lucky that Delta got you to the ship. They did NOT have to. Delta's obligation ended when they got you to your original destination. You COULD have been subject to finding your own transportation to the cruise, paying for such transportation and either eating the charges or turning them into your travel insurance company and HOPING the air delay met the requirements for "delayed air". Quite a few policies now REQUIRE delay to be 6 hours or more.

Don't blame the cruise line. Almost all cruise line's contract of carriage/cruise contract carry the same language. You are on your own to deal with the airline when booking cruise air.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/cruise_ticket_contract/Celebrity_04_23_08.pdf

Not sure what the OP was expecting Celebrity to do. The airline is the one who has the knowledge of what flights and seating is available, not some cruise agent. There are not a lot of options available now days. Flights and aircraft seating (more small commuter aircraft) have decreased, meaning more flights are full/oversold so there are less options. I fly a lot for business and use a travel agent who I utilize for changes, but only when the changes are the next day or so, not during the trip. In that case, I work directly with the airline - I usually have the airline 800# at hand and call when there are issues. Standing in line with many others with problems just causes more stress, so I call the 800-agents, not the overloaded agents at the gate if different flights are required.

There are a lot less options also of changing airlines - and even when you buy your own ticket especially at very low cut rates of discount websites, you don't have lots of options except working with the airline you are ticketed with.

With all that said, feel for the OP - who I'm sure is not looking for our comments of: 'fly a day early', or 'forget and enjoy', but there isn't much else to say.

We took a Panama Canal cruise out of LA in January. One group flying out of Chicago the day of the cruise (January???), and they didn't make it - surprise, surprise.

When you gamble saving a day of vacation and a few bucks for a hotel, you take your chances, and sometimes, it doesn't work out. And calling some Celebrity agent isn't going to magically fix it for you. They can't add flights onto the airline schedule or book a special flight for you, you have to work the system as it is.

Denny

It's a sad thing when a long-anticipated vacation gets off to a rocky start. The OP reported his experience and disappointment and I'm sure he wasn't looking for advice on flying in a day early.

While I sympathize with the OP for the problems, I feel he has missed the proper target for his troubles. It has been my experience that the second-most helpful person is the one who directs me to the one who ultimately solves my problem. Celebrity did that (and they had the contract in place with Delta that required them to help out). Without that contractual obligation, Delta would have simply flown the OP to San Juan and said "Bye now". But they did a pretty good job, based on the description, including a very nice hotel. But I do think Celebrity owes the OP a refund for unused transfers.

In today's world, I think too many people expect others to take better care of them than will ever be the case. We need to better understand the differences between the obligations of a service provider and what we think they should do.

At least the OP is trying to get into a mindset of enjoying the rest of his vacation.

Not sure what the OP was expecting Celebrity to do. The airline is the one who has the knowledge of what flights and seating is available, not some cruise agent.

Isn't that what they are selling with these combined packages though? The convenience, the all-in-one approach to get you to the ship as a destination? You don't get a say in which airline or when so that presents that they're taking care of all those arrangements, to make things simpler - and because you're not meant to be involved in those details.

That promise isn't what turned out in this case, which makes the disappointment understandable. They didn't deliver what they're promoting.

One thing I'd also add is that a cruise agent is just like a travel agent so should be connected and be able to source and re-locate alternatives. The airline is only concerned with getting you to the ticketed destination. Since the ship is moving, and part of the reason for Celebrity co-ordinating the connections, any change to those destinations lies with Celebrity to resolve, not the airline. You couldn't otherwise buy a ticket on Delta or any other carrier to "Celebrity Millennium". They're only sold to fixed points.

The carrier may be the source of the problem in this case, but just like if you buy a ship's tour, Celebrity can't disavow any involvement if something happens while you are on that tour. That's up to their contract with the operator to resolve - but to keep you as their customer satisfied. That's the key difference - you are Celebrity's customer in this case as you paid them, you didn't pay the carrier.

Not sure exactly what transpired between the OP and his contact with Celebrity but if Celebrity's only response was sorry we cannot help you call the airline that looks like poor customer service. I would like to think that a rep from Celebrity would have helped with alternate arrangements or at least been more involved with the situation. I know IT IS the passengers ultimate responsibility to get to the ship but it looks like Celebrity was of no help, what is customer service about if none is offerred in situations like this.

I think you all miss the point, we are going on the Equinox at the beginning of February and Celebrity are booking our flights and hotel the night before we sail, they have informed us that we will fly via Atlanta with very little time to clear immigration and customs, we expressed our concerns but they showed no interest.

They charged us £705.00 for flights and hotel but still sent us via a place that can have major snow problems in February, they could have sent us direct to Miami for very little more (i think they make a profit ) so i believe if they decide to sent people on flights which increase the probability of missing the ship they should take responsibility for those clients, if there is no alternative that is fair enough but to send people via other airports to save a few Pounds is in my view unacceptable.

Isn't that what they are selling with these combined packages though? The convenience, the all-in-one approach to get you to the ship as a destination? You don't get a say in which airline or when so that presents that they're taking care of all those arrangements, to make things simpler - and because you're not meant to be involved in those details.

CONVENIENCE is ALL the cruise lines are selling. Please read through your cruise contract. The cruise lines have NO liability or RESPONSIBILITY to get you to the ship. The ONLY liability is to REFUND your money for your tour/hotel/air, etc. etc. And sometimes, they don't even have to refund your money.

The carrier may be the source of the problem in this case, but just like if you buy a ship's tour, Celebrity can't disavow any involvement if something happens while you are on that tour.

Oh, but they can and do. Again, read through your cruise contract. The cruise lines have NO responsibility or liability for third party vendors.

From a legal perspective, IF the cruise lines get involved other than the most basic involvement if somthing happens, they open themselves up to significant legal action.

There seems to be little if not any benefit to book through the cruise line--we did it on our veryfirst cruise & never again-- we got the worst seat at the last minute on worst flights & even had paid extra for better flights...

Glad you were able to get on the ship--enjoy...

I think you all miss the point, we are going on the Equinox at the beginning of February and Celebrity are booking our flights and hotel the night before we sail, they have informed us that we will fly via Atlanta with very little time to clear immigration and customs, we expressed our concerns but they showed no interest.

They charged us £705.00 for flights and hotel but still sent us via a place that can have major snow problems in February, they could have sent us direct to Miami for very little more (i think they make a profit ) so i believe if they decide to sent people on flights which increase the probability of missing the ship they should take responsibility for those clients, if there is no alternative that is fair enough but to send people via other airports to save a few Pounds is in my view unacceptable.

Please read through this thread to understand how the cruise lines book cruise air/air deviation tickets and the significant problems that can result from the restrictions with these tickets. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

Please be aware that the cruise air tickets sold to the cruise lines on the cheap are generally connecting tickets with sometimes out of the way connections. Tickets are NOT purchased for individual passengers. Airlines don't sell their PREMIUM routes to the cruise lines on the cheap (your Miami example)

The price the cruise line buys tickets from the airline for and what they are sold to you for are two entirely different things. The cruise line buys 1000's of tickets at significant discounts but with SIGNIFICANT restrictions. Most of the time, they are sold to pax at about full price. Even one way transatlantic tickets are purchased by the cruise line as RT tickets and TWO passengers will use 1/2 of each ticket. When you add up the approx $500+ that the cruise line charges for 1/2 of a RT Spring/Fall transatlantic ticket, you can see the price is inflated.

There are a few different rules which apply to cruise/air packages purchased by Europeans which offer more protection. But all in all, you will be FAR better off purchasing your own air tickets directly from an airline (highly recommended) or one of the "big three" online travel agencies. At least you will get ENDORSABLE tickets, which allow you to fly on another carrier IF there is a glitch. You don't have that protection with cruise air tickets.

WOw is that £705 per person for a flight and 1 night overnight stay??

OK I know you are in Tenby but I would imagine you will have to make your way to Gatwick Or Heathrow, direct flights to Miami are about £400 at that time of year and you could have stayed in a top class hotel for less than £100 per room per ninight.

I always book my own flights

Not sure exactly what transpired between the OP and his contact with Celebrity but if Celebrity's only response was sorry we cannot help you call the airline that looks like poor customer service. I would like to think that a rep from Celebrity would have helped with alternate arrangements or at least been more involved with the situation. I know IT IS the passengers ultimate responsibility to get to the ship but it looks like Celebrity was of no help, what is customer service about if none is offerred in situations like this.

Please understand what you are purchasing. Per the cruise contract, Celebrity has NO responsibility or liability when the air/hotel/tour arrangements go belly up. Their ONLY responsibility is to point you to the PROPER person who can help. And in this case, that was done. Delta went above and beyond (and I am no Delta fan). Technically and legally, Delta could have flown the passenger to San Juan and NOT any further. That was their ONLY obligation.

That's why we always book our own flights direct with the airline.

Well, it is noon in St. Croix and we finally are on the ship, the Celebrity Milli. But, we didn't get here until ten this morning. Our flight from Boston was delayed several hours because of problems with an engine gauge. So, we missed our connection to San Juan. I booked my air through Celebrity....Celebrity was No help - they wouldn't do anything. I was instructed to work with Delta to make other arrangement to get to the ship. ...Celebrity has always been my favorite cruise line ... This has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Not to be insensitive, but if you had booked your air independently (as i do), then you would have been responsible for getting yourself to the ship after you missed the sailing.

Sounds like Celebrity's arrangement with Delta did, indeed, function normally in your case. You don't mention having to pay for a new ticket to "catch the ship". They even picked up your hotel charges, and I'm guessing they included meal coupons or a similar allowance. What else would you realistically have hoped for them to do you?

Also, Celebrity can't control seats and flights for Delta, so I would personally not expect, nor even want them to be arranging those flights. As long as I didn't have to pay, I'd want to be actively involved in my own re-booking with the airline.

Just my opinion, obviously. Have a great cruise, and I hope your return flights go smoothly.

Johncn

You consider Alanta to have major snow problem, it's a good thing X didn't route you through a NE airport like PHI, NYC or BOS. We typically fly out of Buffalo, NY and always fly in the day before the cruise.

Archived