Black & White Ball on 10+ Days?

sweet sheep

Hello fellow posters,

Just wanted to ask if HAL is still doing the B & W Ball on cruises 10 days or more? Going on Zuiderdam in April for 10 days.

Many thanks for you input,

Yes Ma'am, they are - We had a B&W Ball on Zaandam's 14-day Hawaiian cruise in NOV

Ya know, I think this business of the B&W Ball may fall to the discretion of the Captain/CD. It certainly has been very variable in our experience. We had a B&W Ball on cruises as short as a 10-nite Ryndam yet on our 38-nite Amsterdam last year, we had no B&W Ball. In fact, we had absolutely no Officers Ball of any kind. But then Amsterdam was in Code Red for 15-nites so maybe that accounted for some of the malaise.

We have done a few 14 day cruises -- some had the Black & White Ball and some didn't.

The only way to find out if the Alaskan 14 day cruise is going to have one is to call HAL -- and even then their information may not be correct.

The e-docs only list the number of formal nights and the number of smart casual nights.

Ya know, I think this business of the B&W Ball may fall to the discretion of the Captain/CD. It certainly has been very variable in our experience. We had a B&W Ball on cruises as short as a 10-nite Ryndam yet on our 38-nite Amsterdam last year, we had no B&W Ball. In fact, we had absolutely no Officers Ball of any kind. But then Amsterdam was in Code Red for 15-nites so maybe that accounted for some of the malaise.

I also think that it is up to the captain and hotel manager.

We were on the Westerdam in 2008 for a 19 day repositioning cruise and there was no Black & White Ball or an Officers Ball.

And we weren't in Code Red.

We have done several 14plus cruises but never heard of black and white ball. We are on Zandaam april 27 to Hawaii. Could you tell me about it?

Let me tell you a bit about them. The officers attend looking quite spiffy in formal uniforms (white jackets, black pants or long skirts). They appear together in the company of the captain, and passengers may ask them for the first few dances.

The room, usually the Crows Nest, is beautifully decorated in black and white garlands and balloons. Black and White Balls are held on a formal night. Passengers wear black and white if they so choose.

I'm certain that there are more details and descriptions. Hope someone else will add some.

Anyway, it's a lovely evening. Here's hoping you get a chance to experience it in the near future.

We have done several 14plus cruises but never heard of black and white ball. We are on Zandaam april 27 to Hawaii. Could you tell me about it?

Got some pics for you:

Prinsendam42Day9CaptGundersonatthee.jpg?t=1262816215

Prinsendam's captain Halle Thon Gundersen leading his officers into the show lounge

Prinsendam44Day9ChiefEngineerJacobW.jpg?t=1262816572

His officers following. This is long-time HAL Chief Engineer Jakob Wisse

Prinsendam45Day9ThePrinsendamsoffic.jpg?t=1262816730

Everybody on stage being introduced by CD Pieter Daems - Note the B&W balloons

We have done quite a dew 10 day cruises including the Zuiderdam recently -- no Black & White Ball.

Is this ever announced in advance (maybe with docs???) of the cruise. We've never encountered one in over 75 days with HAL, but would LOVE it! Thanks!

Is this ever announced in advance (maybe with docs???) of the cruise. We've never encountered one in over 75 days with HAL, but would LOVE it! Thanks!
Not in our experience. We've never received advance notice and we have had the Black and White Ball on a few (very few) of our cruises. It really hasn't been a problem for us - DH's tux is black, his formal shirts are white and he either wears his black bow tie/cummerbund or his black & white Hawaiian print bow tie/cummerbund set. My formal wear tends to black and silver, so I just save one of those for the Black and White Ball once we learn onboard that there will be one.

All of my cruises, which were all 10 days and over had Black and White evenings. Indeed on my last cruise, I forgot and wore the black tie for the first formal night which meant I didn't need the red one I had also brought along. I would say plan on one of them being Black and White and if they aren't you will look fine in Black and White on one of the formal nights.

Not in our experience. We've never received advance notice and we have had the Black and White Ball on a few (very few) of our cruises. It really hasn't been a problem for us - DH's tux is black, his formal shirts are white and he either wears his black bow tie/cummerbund or his black & white Hawaiian print bow tie/cummerbund set. My formal wear tends to black and silver, so I just save one of those for the Black and White Ball once we learn onboard that there will be one.

Thanks for the info. DH is easy...black tux and I will make sure I have something white to go with a basic black. I'm really hoping for a B&W night...we'll be in Med in May for 12 nights...maybe then!!!

I'm really hoping for a B&W night...we'll be in Med in May for 12 nights...maybe then!!!

Mediterrian cruises tend to be port intensive, so that decreases the chance of a Black & White Ball.

Hope for one, certainly, but don't be disappointed if there isn't one.

Just a heads up; "Black & White evenings", which usually includes the MDR tables/chairs being covered in white linen and the MDR staff wearing "formal" on formal evenings, are not the same as the Black & White Balls, which usually take place in the main show lounge/Crow's Nest and/or Ocean Bar

Mediterrian cruises tend to be port intensive, so that decreases the chance of a Black & White Ball.

Hope for one, certainly, but don't be disappointed if there isn't one.

You're right Ruth...in fact we only have one sea day. I'll just wait and be surprised. It would be nice and we're bringing all the formal wear with us anyway. We just can't wait to be there...leaving 4 months from today from Venice...or did I already mention that???? LOL :):):)

Archived