D vs. E?

arb711

I'm booking a cruise on Mariner to Mexico at the end of March. My 4th cruise, but all 3 previous have been solo! This time a friend is coming with me, a first-time cruiser. SO excited!! I can't wait, I'm literally counting the days. (12 weeks from Sunday :rolleyes:)

In the past I've booked E category balcony cabins, since it's certainly large enough for just me. This time I'm wondering if it's worth the $$ to get the extra 20 sq feet of space in a D balcony. 20 feet can be either not very much or a huge difference, depending on where it is!

Has anyone had an experience of both categories? Where is the extra 20 sq feet, and do you really feel the difference?

Thanks in advance - I couldn't cruise without getting all the info from Cruise Critic!

I'm booking a cruise on Mariner to Mexico at the end of March. My 4th cruise, but all 3 previous have been solo! This time a friend is coming with me, a first-time cruiser. SO excited!! I can't wait, I'm literally counting the days. (12 weeks from Sunday :rolleyes:)

In the past I've booked E category balcony cabins, since it's certainly large enough for just me. This time I'm wondering if it's worth the $$ to get the extra 20 sq feet of space in a D balcony. 20 feet can be either not very much or a huge difference, depending on where it is!

Has anyone had an experience of both categories? Where is the extra 20 sq feet, and do you really feel the difference?

Thanks in advance - I couldn't cruise without getting all the info from Cruise Critic!

I can't tell you where exactly the differences are. DH and I have stayed in both and, yes, one is a bit larger but I really didn't see it in any useful "living" area. Unless the D is in a much better location, etc. I, personally, would probably not pay the extra (unless it was something negliable like $10-20 or something.) :)

I can't figure out how some people see so much difference in 1' deeper. If I were put in an E and then in a D and asked what the difference was in those two cabins I probably could not answer. Now since I know, that's a different story. I could see a couch that was a little bigger because I knew what I was looking for. I have had both and if there isn't much of a difference in price I would chose by the location.

It may have to do with which ship - when we had our first E balcony on Radiance, the tiny loveseat which was before the bed as you entered, became a "dumping" area when we came in the cabin, therefore not used for what it was intended. When we went to a D, it was a full size sofa by the balcony door, and we used it! That's I guess why we felt it was bigger.

We have in the past had an E-1 cat, but for our Hawaii Cruise, we went with the D-1 and noticed the differance even though it was slight. For our Mainer cruise , we went back down to an E-1, which was larger then our Radiance Class E-1 cat by 9 sq ft, to have the larger balcony. It comes down to preferance really. When we sail the Radiance class we will go back to the D-1. Sometimes also it comes down to the price your paying.

On a Radiance class the E-1's are 179 sq ft 41 sq ft balcony, D-1 are 206 with same size balcony so the differance is seen. yet on the Mariner, the E-1 were 188 sq ft, with 46 sq ft balcony, and D's 206 and 41 sq ft balcony.

We have in the past had an E-1 cat, but for our Hawaii Cruise, we went with the D-1 and noticed the differance even though it was slight. For our Mainer cruise , we went back down to an E-1, which was larger then our Radiance Class E-1 cat by 9 sq ft, to have the larger balcony. It comes down to preferance really. When we sail the Radiance class we will go back to the D-1. Sometimes also it comes down to the price your paying.

On a Radiance class the E-1's are 179 sq ft 41 sq ft balcony, D-1 are 206 with same size balcony so the differance is seen. yet on the Mariner, the E-1 were 188 sq ft, with 46 sq ft balcony, and D's 206 and 41 sq ft balcony.

Ahhh, that might be part of it. We have only compared the two on Voyager class ships - Navigator and Mariner and Explorer. And, as I said, didn't see any real usable difference to speak of. :)

No one has mentioned that the vanity in the D cabins is longer and has more drawer space.. With two in a room...that drawer space comes in handy.

Count me in the club that says there is a noticable difference between the E and D cabins...I much prefer the D's. Of course, once I booked a JS....the D's seemed small...:rolleyes:.

Deb

According to RCi, the difference on Mariner is 22 sq feet. On Freedom class it is greater

[37 sq ft] The difference is noticeable, but for price snobs like me, probably not enough to tip the balance if the diference in cost is too great. But you need to watch sometimes you can get Es cheaper than Ds. And last April we got a D out of the balcony guarantee pool.

arb, here is something to consider that no one else has mentioned:

Since you are used to paying solo rates, sharing a cabin is instantly going to seem "cheap" to you, so even if the D is a little more, your share is probably less than what you paid to go solo in an E cabin.

So, go for it! (but try to get 1688 or 1388! You'll think that you have died and gone to heaven!)

Archived