10:30 Departure from Miami....

AnthonyF

Century docks 7:00 am February 6..... By far the cheapest and easiest flight is 10:30..... I know people continually say that is too tight, but otherwise more money, more inconvenience.

Is it safe or too many variables..... Taken 3 cruises, always docked and off the boat no problem....

Should I worry? Haven't booked....

Wow--

guess it depends on the number of ships, lugggae & how soon immigration is completed...I'll be interested in seeing the replies you get on this thread...

I am worried about a 12:30 DELTA flight from Miami when we return form Navigator to Miami on a Saturday-- on our day there will be many ships in port and 18,000 plus pax... we are going to carry off our luggage a grab a cab-- rather be there too early than too late!

Debarkation did not start until 8:10--indeed, the first [walk-off] group wasn't scheduled until 8:00--even though Century was at the dock before 6:00 AM [our arrival was also scheduled at 7:00 AM]...

10:30 is cutting it close, but the lines at the airport will not be as big as they would for a 12:30 flight. Also, what time of year? If it is high season in Florida the lines can be huge on a weekend day regardless of the time the ship comes in. I wouldn't do it because if you miss that flight, It could take you all day to get home.

As for a 12:30 flight, I would definitely book that one without worrying about making it. The airport is only 20 minutes max from the port and the cruise lines dont want guests on the ship past 10:00.

Debarkation did not start until 8:10--indeed, the first [walk-off] group wasn't scheduled until 8:00--even though Century was at the dock before 6:00 AM [our arrival was also scheduled at 7:00 AM]...

It does not matter what time the ship arrives, but rather how long US customs takes to clear the ship before anyone can get off. Sometimes it is quick and othertimes there are delays.

Never had a problem getting into port or de-embarkation...... 5 day cruise, 2 suitcases (for 2 people)..... 20 minutes to airport, even if 8:00 am, should be at Airport @ 8:45.....

I know people always concerned, but that seems like plenty of time, outside issues nowadays with security.....

I hate the waits I have always had in prior cruises.

Looking to hear from more.....

Never had a problem getting into port or de-embarkation...... 5 day cruise, 2 suitcases (for 2 people)..... 20 minutes to airport, even if 8:00 am, should be at Airport @ 8:45.....

I know people always concerned, but that seems like plenty of time, outside issues nowadays with security.....

I hate the waits I have always had in prior cruises.

Looking to hear from more.....

It appears you have a worry and are stressing. And that is today. What will you be feeling on the day before? If you can talk yourself into feeling good about that choice, go for it. If you really are worried, you can take care of that by booking a later flight. What's it worth to you? That's why there are seats at a lower cost on the early flight. People aren't risking it. You're booking air awfully late for a Feb cruise date. You won't find as many seats and discount rates in Feb. for Florida travel.

Considering all the security problems lately, I personally wouldn't risk it. If you do, make sure you take along all the info you need to book another flight home...schedules, airlines, gates etc. There have been reports of many delays lately.

CAN you make it? Yes, if all goes as planned. Don't plan on getting off the ship at anything before 8:00. And make sure you carry your bags off, have documentation ready etc. Do you have any kind of insurance? Good luck. ;)

Too tight for me. I will say that on Monday January 4, 2010 it easily took us an hour to get a bag checked and clear the security checkpoint. We also had a non US couple go missing for a little while, delaying disembarkation for everybody. Nobody gets off of the ship until all have been cleared by the port authorities.

I wouldn't do it. It is not all that uncommon for ships to have delays in clearing customs. With a 10:30 time, you are fine if there are no delays, but have very little wiggle room - anything more than a minor delay and you would not make it to the gate in enough time. Also, most travel insurance policies would not cover you since there is such a narrow window between the ship's schduled arrival and your flight's scheduled departure. With airlines often filling their planes it may be hard to get on another flight and the airline may require you to purchase a brand new ticket (if you miss the flight, they have no obligation to let you fly stand-by for free on another flight).

If the engine blows and docking doesn't happen 'til 9:00 am? Is that something that really can be REASONBLY be expected? Has anyone been delayed by a significant time to disembark?

I always hear/read people stressing about how much time they need, but is this more a "once in a blue moon" occurence or something that happens 5% of the time. My concern is more the Airport Security, not departing the ship.

So how often is there a disembarkation issue?????

Why not book that flight the next day and spend the night in Maimi enjoying the city before heading home?

There is something really depressing about getting off a cruise ship and then racing to the airport to wait for a flight.

Most of the time, your plan would work, but......,

Good luck,

Kel:)

Century docks 7:00 am February 6..... By far the cheapest and easiest flight is 10:30..... I know people continually say that is too tight, but otherwise more money, more inconvenience.

Is it safe or too many variables..... Taken 3 cruises, always docked and off the boat no problem....

Should I worry? Haven't booked....

If all goes well, I would say that you MIGHT make a flight on any airline but American, whose terminal in Miami always seems to be a zoo at that hour for check-in AND security. In the end, I would book a later flight just to be sure.

If the engine blows and docking doesn't happen 'til 9:00 am? Is that something that really can be REASONBLY be expected? Has anyone been delayed by a significant time to disembark?

The ship arriving late does happen, but is more of a once in a blue moon type dealio. However, custom delays are not all that uncommon - I do not know the true percentage that a custom delay happens, but I have seen them discussed quite frequently on this board.

On my last cruise (which was out of Ft. Lauderdale) the sailing prior to me had a significant customs delay. I had arrived at the terminal around 10:00am hoping to be the among the first to board, but the prior cruise did not start debarking until late and still were debarking until a little after 12:00 noon! If you had a 10:30am flight on that cruise you would have missed it by quite a bit.

I always hear/read people stressing about how much time they need, but is this more a "once in a blue moon" occurence or something that happens 5% of the time. My concern is more the Airport Security, not departing the ship.

Your questions and need for predictions and percentages from fellow cruisers tell me that you shouldn't take the earlier flight. If there IS a problem, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you!:D You're stressing out too much already.;)

No one can promise you anything with percentages. Every day is different and every problem arising rare. But, if one DOES hit your day, how will you deal? The next flights will be full, so you may end up sitting in an airport even longer than you are talking now. You are a gambler. Go for it if you want.

Actually if you could stay the night, you might get an even cheaper flight and have some great fun in Miami Beach, a great place to be. ;)

.....Has anyone been delayed by a significant time to disembark?

Yes, but out of Fort Lauderdale. There was a delay with customs clearing the ship. We ran to the taxi, the taxi miraculously caught nothing but green lights and a very nice baggage claim guy rushed us through check-in line. Even with all this, we just made the flight. It was not in any way worth the aggrevation. The stress sitting around the ship needing to disembark and not being able to do so was horrible.

However if you are convinced that it will not be a problem for you, I say go for it. Only you can determine if it is a risk worth taking.

Your questions and need for predictions and percentages from fellow cruisers tell me that you shouldn't take the earlier flight. If there IS a problem, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you!:D You're stressing out too much already.;)

No one can promise you anything with percentages. Every day is different and every problem arising rare. But, if one DOES hit your day, how will you deal? The next flights will be full, so you may end up sitting in an airport even longer than you are talking now. You are a gambler. Go for it if you want.

Actually if you could stay the night, you might get an even cheaper flight and have some great fun in Miami Beach, a great place to be. ;)

If I can get them home great, if they stay the night okay too..... Will review again....

We had an 12:00 flight once. We were suppose to get off the ship at 8:30 a.m.

Well we didn't get off until 9:40 a.m. and then the rush to get the luggage and then go through customs....................................we got to the airport at 11:20 am. and the airlines said NO, we would have had to be there by 10:30 the latest. We ended up having to pay more for the next flight which ended up leaving at 3 p.m. Not a good way to end a great cruise. Spoiled everything. You are stressing now. Believe me, you will be stressing the night before and that day. The ship gets in early but it is all these other things that have to be done that could make you miss your flight. Don't take the chance.

marlene

AnthonyF,

We have been on many many cruises, and normally, I am right there with you, booking and making that 10:30 flight. I even had the 10:30 am flight booked for our February 14th Solstice Cruise.

A week or so ago, I changed it to the next day. I was booked on a SW flight and all of the later flights were twice as expensive. I even told my husband we were going to only take one bag, so we could wisk ourselves off the ship at the first possible moment. I kept going thru all of the possible things that could happen, and telling myself the unlikely hood of each one happening. I kept checking later SW flights hoping they would be reduced in price. I finally checked a website that tells you the ships that will be in port and discovered between passangers getting on and off cruise ships 26,000+ people would be passing thru FLL.

With everything that has happened in the last month, increased securtiy, having to deal with immigration, and not wanting to spoil the ending of our cruise, I changed plans to come back on Monday instead of Sunday. The airfare went down enough to pay for the hotel and any other expenses we might incur. According to the website NO ships are in FLL on Monday.

Believe me, this was a very hard decision for me, and I keep second guessing myself BUT at least 20% of the cuises we have been on, have been held up for some reason, all very unique.... most times we have still been able to make that early flight... but this is one of the few times, I am concerned enough, and would be sweating it the last day of the cruise and the day we got off, that it's just not worth it to me.

If you go for it, make sure you take your luggage off the ship yourself. Last time we docked in Miami it was raining, and the dock workers will not work in the rain.... no luggage was moved and everything backed up. I wouldn't put myself thru the stress while on vacation of worrying about making a flight. If you can, book a later one or the next day.

If it were Ft Lauderdale, I might consider it. But Miami is not the smoothest debarkation port.

The only why I'd do it, is if I do walk off service and pray there are no delays. Customs and Immigration needs to clear the ship before anyone can get off.

Good Luck

Anthony, come on over and join our roll call.

You have likely found out that Miami hotels will be impossible for the night of the 6th due to the SUPER BOWL being the next day in Miami. We have a 2-ish flight out of FLL.

We faced a similar situation, an "Early" and "Cheap" SW flight or a later and "Less cheap" flight (with a connection!). There are three ships disembarking in Miami on the 6th. Not a huge burden for the port, but all it takes is one international passenger not reporting when requested and the whole ship gets held up, so we did not risk it and booked the later flight.

Hope to see you on board!

We had an 12:00 flight once. We were suppose to get off the ship at 8:30 a.m.

Well we didn't get off until 9:40 a.m. and then the rush to get the luggage and then go through customs....................................we got to the airport at 11:20 am. and the airlines said NO, we would have had to be there by 10:30 the latest. We ended up having to pay more for the next flight which ended up leaving at 3 p.m. Not a good way to end a great cruise. Spoiled everything. You are stressing now. Believe me, you will be stressing the night before and that day. The ship gets in early but it is all these other things that have to be done that could make you miss your flight. Don't take the chance.

marlene

WOW--still nervous about our 12:30 same day flight out of Miami----our day in port of miami shows abt 18,000 pax--hope lots of them on b2B cruises!!

Archived