train travel from Sydney

rtdiva

Has anyone had any experience traveling by train from Sydney to the west of Australia? After disembarking we have a few days to see more of the country. Are the trains comfortable?

Ann

Are you talking about just day trips out of Sydney

or the incredible India Pacific Rail trip?

We have done the India Pacific from Perth to Sydney.

It is one of the most amazing rail trips in the world.

I think its 4 days to do the whole journey,

but it is just stunning.

As to level of comfort, depends on which class you book.

I think you can also book segments of the trip,

but either way.....

Australia is a big country....

think AmTrack across the USA.

No disrespect to David above, but please don't think the Indian Pacific is anything like Amtrak which offers a tolerable experience at best. (IMHO)

The IP is a first rate train, and a magnificent way to see the vastness of our country. This of course is providing you enjoy train travel.

The trip is not cheap, but the accomodation is good (as long as you choose a sleeper). The cabins are self contained with shower and toilet. There are dining cars and lounge cars and the food is very good.

The full trip to Perth takes 3 days.

http://www.gsr.com.au/

Steve.

As David said, if you enjoy train travel, a trip across Australia on the Indian Pacific is unique and would be a definite highlight, if you have the time.

Not only will you see Australia's vast Outback, you'll meet interesting fellow travellers from all over the world.

I think I would rather have someone stick toothpicks in my eyes than do that trip. Its not called the Nullarbor Plains for nothing.

I thought the same thing mochuck, and bought a Bill Bryson book to read as we crossed.

I only read one page, as the scenery was awesome and kept me fascinated all day as we crossed.

The stop in Cook was just incredible. We had the chance to walk around while the train took on water, and all you see was a flat horizon for 360 degrees.

Just magic.

I can see why people come from all over the world to exprience it.

Not sure I would do it if not in Gold Sleeper though!

Only way to go.

Just like being on a cruise, and the meals are great.

Holy Moly!

Ive just got four land days untill we catch the ship!

Just wondering how the train would be to go r/t towards Melbourne from Sydney.

You guys are great!

Thanks for the smiles and the suggestions.

Ann

Hate to tell you, but train travel, except for the few signature trips, is not something we do well here! As an example it takes about 30 minutes to fly from Sydney to Canberra, three hours on a coach, three hours to drive OR ... nearly 5 on the train which is often dirty and uncomfortable. It is about 11 hours from Sydney to Melbourne by train. My suggestion is to either sightsee in the Sydney area - Blue Mountains, Harbour etc or fly to one of the other cities for a couple of days. I don't think you will have enough time for train travel.

You could take a train trip west to the Blue Mountains, which is about 3 hours, which would be a good choice. Other moderate distance trips on the train are to Kiama or Newcastle (3-4 hours). If you want to go further than that though, with the time you have, I'd suggest flying.

Ive just got four land days untill we catch the ship!
If you've only got four days, please don't go anywhere other than Sydney. You need between two and four weeks to explore Sydney. You don't have time to go anywhere else even if you fly, and you certainly don't have time to go by train anywhere else in this vast continent.

If you've only got four days, please don't go anywhere other than Sydney. You need between two and four weeks to explore Sydney. You don't have time to go anywhere else even if you fly, and you certainly don't have time to go by train anywhere else in this vast continent.

I was going to suggest the same thing- Sydney is a wonderful city with so much to see. Take the ferries around, wander around the Opera house, see something there if anything of interest is playing. We took the train from Brisbane back to Sydney but we had weeks and weeks to explore. It is fun to get out to the countryside once if for no other reason than to see kangaroos hopping about but you can do a day trip out of Sydney.

I agree.

Once you do further research on Sydney, you'll wish you had more time to spend in Sydney and its surrounds.

BTW Wouldn't recommend a train trip to Melbourne, as it is not a "tourist train" in the same sense as the unique Indian Pacific. However, you might enjoy a day trip by train to the Blue Mountains. An overnight trip would be even better as the Blue Mountains are at their best in the early morning and evenings.

Agree with the concensus - the Aussie train system is woefully inadequate (and slow!) to see this great country. The only exceptions being the India Pacific (east-west Sydney-Perth) or The Ghan (south-north Adelaide-Alice Springs-Darwin) which are both spectacular trips but you won't have time for either. What passes for a train service from Sydney to Melbourne is best avoided :eek:. Everyone flies everywhere or drives, time permitting. Australia is a BIG country and the major cities are a long way apart.

If you have 4 days to spare, use them exploring Sydney and NSW. I guarantee you won't be able to see and do everything on offer. And as a Melburnian I hate to admit that! :D When it's time to come to Melbourne jump on a plane. It will take an hour.

Agree with the concensus - the Aussie train system is woefully inadequate (and slow!) to see this great country. The only exceptions being the India Pacific (east-west Sydney-Perth) or The Ghan (south-north Adelaide-Alice Springs-Darwin) which are both spectacular trips but you won't have time for either. What passes for a train service from Sydney to Melbourne is best avoided :eek:. Everyone flies everywhere or drives, time permitting. Australia is a BIG country and the major cities are a long way apart.

BTW there are some good tourist train trips in Queensland, for another time.

Another point on long distance train travel in Australia ,

is that it is now non smoking,

anywhere:eek:

so smokers are

banned

from travelling on a train in Australia.

In case smokers get scared away, I don't think they are banned from travelling on our Australian trains, they are just banned from smoking on our trains. :)

If you want a quick train journey thats slow in time and speed albeit a very comfortable Australian Rail Experience,try Queenslands,Saturday afternoon departure of The Spirit Of The Outback ex Brisbane to Longreach return.

http://www.150mustdos.com.au/must_dos/explore_the_queensland_outback_by_train_onboard_spirit_of_the_outback

http://www.traveltrain.com.au/Train-Services/Spirit-Of-The-Outback/Fares.aspx.

This is very easy and do-able with limited time even from Sydney with a Saturday morning flight to Brisbane connecting to Roma Street Railway Station by the Airport Train.

There is enough time on the Sunday afternoon to arrange through a local operater a brief tour of Longreach,Qantas Museum, or the fantastic Hall of Fame then a twilight cruise for dinner on the Thomson River before returning to Brisbane on the Monday morning departure of the Spirit Of The Outback ex Longreach.(there is a motel across the road from the station)

You will be rewarded with great scenes of rich coastal fertile scenary,sugar cane and pineapple farms, billabongs, river crossings before traversing the great Australian Outback made up mountain ranges and wide panoramic country expanses, villages and towns with unique Australian architecture and sightings of Australian wildlife and flocks of our colourful birds all from the comfort of the train and your very comfortable sleeping berth.(the twinette cars only have 14 berths per car with spacious showers at the end of each car and windows each side of your compartment).

The Spirit Of The Outback boasts very comfortable Lounge,Dining and Club Cars.

The train stops at some sleepy towns station for 30 minutes with enough time for a drink with the locals at the pubs across the road from the station with the engineman blowing the trains whistle for his passengers to reboard their train.

What a journey.What an experience.

Thanks all,

We have been invited to spend the night at a cruise friend's friend's home at Kiama. Train travel time to Kiama has been quoted at around two hours. Sound like the right amount of time to spend on the train to see a different part of the area. We will have already spent 23 days on the ocean from San Francisco via Honolulu, Xmas isle, Samoa,& NZ ports to get to Sydney!

Ann

• 2 weeks later...
If you want a quick train journey thats slow in time and speed albeit a very comfortable Australian Rail Experience,try Queenslands,Saturday afternoon departure of The Spirit Of The Outback ex Brisbane to Longreach return.

http://www.150mustdos.com.au/must_dos/explore_the_queensland_outback_by_train_onboard_spirit_of_the_outback

http://www.traveltrain.com.au/Train-Services/Spirit-Of-The-Outback/Fares.aspx.

This is very easy and do-able with limited time even from Sydney with a Saturday morning flight to Brisbane connecting to Roma Street Railway Station by the Airport Train.

There is enough time on the Sunday afternoon to arrange through a local operater a brief tour of Longreach,Qantas Museum, or the fantastic Hall of Fame then a twilight cruise for dinner on the Thomson River before returning to Brisbane on the Monday morning departure of the Spirit Of The Outback ex Longreach.(there is a motel across the road from the station)

You will be rewarded with great scenes of rich coastal fertile scenary,sugar cane and pineapple farms, billabongs, river crossings before traversing the great Australian Outback made up mountain ranges and wide panoramic country expanses, villages and towns with unique Australian architecture and sightings of Australian wildlife and flocks of our colourful birds all from the comfort of the train and your very comfortable sleeping berth.(the twinette cars only have 14 berths per car with spacious showers at the end of each car and windows each side of your compartment).

The Spirit Of The Outback boasts very comfortable Lounge,Dining and Club Cars.

The train stops at some sleepy towns station for 30 minutes with enough time for a drink with the locals at the pubs across the road from the station with the engineman blowing the trains whistle for his passengers to reboard their train.

What a journey.What an experience.

That's a great idea. Thanks campingman. We love train travel and the IP and Ghan and Sunlander are all on our list as well as the others provided by Rail Australia. But what you have suggested is terrific for that something different for a short getaway for a local!!

Thanks all,

We have been invited to spend the night at a cruise friend's friend's home at Kiama. Train travel time to Kiama has been quoted at around two hours. Sound like the right amount of time to spend on the train to see a different part of the area. We will have already spent 23 days on the ocean from San Francisco via Honolulu, Xmas isle, Samoa,& NZ ports to get to Sydney!

Ann

If you are going to Kiama anyway - definitely go by train after leaving the burbs the trip will take you through our oldest National Park (The Royal National Park) and then along some beautiful coastal scenery. Then it's back to the burbs of industrial Wollongong, past Lake Illawarra and back along a short strip of coast into Kiama. Enjoy.

You will also enjoy your cruise. We did something similar last April (SYD/HNL, different ports) and it's amazing.

Archived