Can I fish

off my balcony while in port ? I realize that the normal cruizing speed is to fast for trolling. If I were to catch something worth eating or having mounted would the ship take care of this for me ? I have one of those pocket fisherman that I have caught some big fish with and I am bringing it on this trip. I have added extra line to the spool to get it up to deck 10. Am I being realalistic or should I leave it at home ????

off my balcony while in port ? I realize that the normal cruizing speed is to fast for trolling. If I were to catch something worth eating or having mounted would the ship take care of this for me ? I have one of those pocket fisherman that I have caught some big fish with and I am bringing it on this trip. I have added extra line to the spool to get it up to deck 10. Am I being realalistic or should I leave it at home ????

That would violate the rules all pax must follow. Also, unless you are licensed to fish in foreign waters or state waters where you fish, you risk legal action by the local authorities.

Take a fishing excursion...in Alaska remember to take some cash for your fishing license...most boats have them on the boat. Foreign ports check ahead what you need to do...

Just in case you are not joking.....

No you are not realistic and you should leave it at home.

Nobody on the ship will care to prepare your stinky fish and I´m sure the people on teh decks below won´t appreciate your line in front of their balkconies and your fish being pulled up. Besides have you ever been on deck 10 of a ship and realize how high up you are?

A member of our M&M group last June on the EOS brought his poles with him, and had some EXCELLENT bonefishing in Bermuda. Also hooked some large Grouper. All off the beach, and rocky points. Not off the ship, that's silly, although we used to do it all the time in the US Navy. BUT there are some excellent locations throughout the islands and it was easy for him to get info from the locals. He did check into the local regs also and did not have any problems.

I was very interested because I love to fish also so he filled me in on the great adventures he was having throughout the cruise.

You'll need to have a tube type case for your pole(s) to carry through security.

Unfortunately, the ship's cooks will not prepare your catch. Maybe they would, but you cannot bring any food onboard from the ports so you'll never know. Locals will tell you of some restaurants that will clean and cook for a fee. We did this in Cozumel a few years back with a Mahi-Mahi.

So everything is catch and release, with some photo's of course.

Maybe you could go on the Ocean Dream and make friends with their crewmembers. I took these in Grenada last January. They're not too clear because I shot them through the windows of the Summit, but you get the idea. :D :rolleyes:

Don't know how successful they were. :p

DSC02867.jpg.b894b991e7a6fbc6f2b27eb49b041c45.jpg

DSC02868.jpg.234ad6aaa8425ef1458f1fa1dd39556b.jpg

Since when did Fishing become something only "Rednecks" take part in? The OP did not ask for everyone to judge him he asked if he could do it. I seem to recall a post that had some pics of a guy fishing off his balcony, caught a decent size fish if i remember.

I wouldn't bother off the ship but if you really want to fish take your pole and go on the beach, surf fishing is a lot of fun.

A member of our M&M group last June on the EOS brought his poles with him, and had some EXCELLENT bonefishing in Bermuda. Also hooked some large Grouper. All off the beach, and rocky points. Not off the ship, that's silly, although we used to do it all the time in the US Navy. BUT there are some excellent locations throughout the islands and it was easy for him to get info from the locals. He did check into the local regs also and did not have any problems.

I was very interested because I love to fish also so he filled me in on the great adventures he was having throughout the cruise.

You'll need to have a tube type case for your pole(s) to carry through security.

Unfortunately, the ship's cooks will not prepare your catch. Maybe they would, but you cannot bring any food onboard from the ports so you'll never know. Locals will tell you of some restaurants that will clean and cook for a fee. We did this in Cozumel a few years back with a Mahi-Mahi.

So everything is catch and release, with some photo's of course.

Yes that was me,,on my first cruise I took my rods to the islands and while in bermuda I was fishing from the shore and did catch two grouper. Had no trouble getting rods on or off the boat but was told I could not keep anything dont know how good pocket fisherman will work as you cant cast as far as you need to. Dont listen to these guys take your rods and some lures and have a good time,,,catch'um up...

Yes that was me,,on my first cruise I took my rods to the islands and while in bermuda I was fishing from the shore and did catch two grouper. Had no trouble getting rods on or off the boat but was told I could not keep anything dont know how good pocket fisherman will work as you cant cast as far as you need to. Dont listen to these guys take your rods and some lures and have a good time,,,catch'um up...

How ya doin! I knew you were lurking around here somewhere. Going back on the explorer this June? we're driving down to Baltimore for the enchantment.

I agree with "fishbonz". Bring your fishing equipment. You might not be able to fish off the ship but you can find places. On my last cruise some of the crew were fishing in the space between the ship and dock(Key West), and catching some. You can probably find places in every port to fish. The people on this site really have no idea if you can or can't, they are just assuming everything is a no...And believe it or not, many country don't require a License, Fee, or Tax to fish.....

Archived