Not the way I wanted to end the cruise

Pam in CA

If you were on the Coral Princess a couple of days ago and heard the call for blood, that was for my brother-in-law. :( He woke up late Wednesday morning with chills, shaking and difficulty breathing so my sister called 911. They rushed him to the medical center where they discovered that he had internal bleeding. He had a high (104) temp that they were able to control. If we were closer to land, they would have done a medivac. As it was, we wouldn't be close enough until 9pm at night so a medivac would have been a very last resort.

He was disembarked first thing this morning and rushed to the Broward General Hospital and operated on for a ruptured bowel, removing part of his colon and inserting a colostomy bag. There was extensive "sewage" in his abdomen and the surgeon cleaned out what he could. He's in the ICU in critical condition and will be kept under for perhaps a couple of days. It's going to be touch and go. :( I've remained here in Ft. Lauderdale to be with my sister and assist her.

The Princess doctors on the Coral were incredible, and as the surgeon said, were "spot on" with their diagnosis and treatment, given they couldn't operate. The Princess reps have been terrific to my sister and myself, helping us disembark, getting hotel rooms (with free shuttle to the hospital), and we'll be seeing them tomorrow to go over what else needs to be done. Princess insurance has already called several times to make sure everything is being done. I can't say enough about all of them.

Please, please don't leave home without insurance. He had no symptoms and no previous history of any intestinal issues. You just never know when you'll need it and when you do, you are so thankful it's there.

Please say prayers for my BIL. He's going to need all of them. My sister too as she's scared to death, anxious and very upset.

Hi Pam,

Sorry to hear about your BIL, our prayers will be with him for a speedy recovery. I had an attack of diverticulitis while aboard the Independence for a TA last April, I may be wrong but that sounds like what your BIL had only his ruptured. I had never had any problems up until this point, we had just left Madeira Portugal when the attack came on, I had so much abdominal pain I had no choice but go to the medical facility, the Doctor said I really should be in a hospital but I pleaded with him that they help me onboard, the last thing I wanted was to end up in hospital in Spain. I spent 3-days with an IV pic in my arm and received antibiotic IV’S 3-times a day, the ships medical staff was fantastic and thanks to them we made it to London then home. The ships medical bill was $1,800.00 charge to our sea pass but thanks to insurance they covered the whole thing. As they say never leave home without it! I had another attack a few weeks later and ended up in the hospital this time it had abscessed and had to have part of my large & small intestine removed. I am doing well now so I am sure your BIL will have the same results.

Ron :)

Pam--my thoughts are with you and your family. If Grant Lindsay is still the chief medical officer on the Coral, then your BIL was in the very best of hands. My MIL became very ill last January on the Coral (new onset atrial fibrillation/heart problems) and he stabilized her in the medical center, gave her IVs and IV medications. When she was released, he checked on her frequently (every 4 hours). She was able to finish the cruise. Dr. Lindsay emailed us and called us from the ship to let us know how she was doing. We were all really impressed with the care she received. I was amazed at what the ship's medical center was able to do. We'll be on the Coral in May, and if Dr. Lindsay is still on board, I plan to thank him in person. I wrote a long letter to corporate about my MIL's care on board.

We'll be praying for you all.

Mary

If you were on the Coral Princess a couple of days ago and heard the call for blood, that was for my brother-in-law. :( He woke up late Wednesday morning with chills, shaking and difficulty breathing so my sister called 911. They rushed him to the medical center where they discovered that he had internal bleeding. He had a high (104) temp that they were able to control. If we were closer to land, they would have done a medivac. As it was, we wouldn't be close enough until 9pm at night so a medivac would have been a very last resort.

He was disembarked first thing this morning and rushed to the Broward General Hospital and operated on for a ruptured bowel, removing part of his colon and inserting a colostomy bag. There was extensive "sewage" in his abdomen and the surgeon cleaned out what he could. He's in the ICU in critical condition and will be kept under for perhaps a couple of days. It's going to be touch and go. :( I've remained here in Ft. Lauderdale to be with my sister and assist her.

The Princess doctors on the Coral were incredible, and as the surgeon said, were "spot on" with their diagnosis and treatment, given they couldn't operate. The Princess reps have been terrific to my sister and myself, helping us disembark, getting hotel rooms (with free shuttle to the hospital), and we'll be seeing them tomorrow to go over what else needs to be done. Princess insurance has already called several times to make sure everything is being done. I can't say enough about all of them.

Please, please don't leave home without insurance. He had no symptoms and no previous history of any intestinal issues. You just never know when you'll need it and when you do, you are so thankful it's there.

Please say prayers for my BIL. He's going to need all of them. My sister too as she's scared to death, anxious and very upset.

So sorrry to hear about this. I hope he gets well soon.

Pam,

I hope your BIL has a speedy recovery and that your sister and you are able to relax a little now that he is the hospital getting treatment. You are so right about this being a reminder about the importance of insurance.

This definitely is going to go down in your book as a memorable cruise, between this terrible incident and the rescue at sea.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Pam- You dont know me but I have been reading your post on here for months and have developed such respect for you when I hear how you reply to other people's post. I am so sad to hear this and can't imagine what you are going through. I hope all goes well and pray for a speedy recovery and many cruises in you, your brother-in-law and sister's future :)

We want to join in with all the others here to wish the very best for your BIL and you and your family, and to thank you for reaffirming for all of us why insurance is such a necessary product.

My DH had a similar diagnosis last fall when we were in the middle of the Pacific, but his bout was not anywhere near so serious as that of your BIL. I mention it just to let everyone know that both of us received expert care from the medical staff onboard the Star Princess. They were wonderful.

Hope to read good news from you soon.

So very sorry that this is happening to your family. God Bless you and your family. A ship is a pretty good place to have a medical emergency -- if you were just in a hotel room there is no medical center nearby in many instances. Just best not to get sick :rolleyes:. May all go well.

What a difficult way to end your vacation. I sincerely hope your BIL recovers quickly and fully.

It's gratifying to know that the Princess medical staff was able to stabilize your BIL so well.

Pam

I am so sorry to hear about your BIL's illness what a terrible thing to have happened, particularly on a cruise ship. I am so glad to hear that he is doing well and that you are able to be there with your sister. I know from experience that your BIL was in good hands. MD's Rudy & Nick, plus RN's Joanne, Karen & Sian are as good or better than what we have here in the States - I know from personal experience. My fiance and I were on the cruise preceeding yours and Frank developed pneumonia and CHF. We spent a lot of time in the Medical Center. Rudy and the Medical Center staff were wonderful, so attentive and professional. Frank's pneumonia was almost cleared by the time we returned home and now has totally cleared thanks to their treeatment and care. I have worked in hospitals for 40+ years and I don't think he could have received better treatment. I am sure that your BIL's life was saved by the actions of this medical team on the Coral. I agree - insurance is a must when you travel - don't leave home without it. Some day Frank and I will take this trip again - he was not able to get off the ship - he needs to see it again through a different perspective.

I sincerely hope that your BIL is doing well and will be able to return to his home soon. My very best to you and your familly.

Carol

Oh Pam, I am so very sorry to hear about this. Your BIL, your sister and you are in my prayers and my thoughts. Please keep us posted as we will all be waiting to hear of your BIL's progress. Stay strong for your sister as she will need you to help her through this.

We were so sorry to read your post and send prayers to every one of you. We hope your BIL makes a full recovery. You are always so helpful and supportive to posters on this board especially to those of us who aren't experienced cruisers.

Ros and Mike

Archived