Not the way I wanted to end the cruise

Pam in CA

Pam, sorry about your BIL. Wishing him a speed recovery! My mother had the same thing happen to her. She had part of her bowel removed and was on a bag. She has since gone back into hospital and had it removed and the bowel rejoined. That was about 10 years ago, she is now 87 and still going strong.

I'm with everyone else Pam, sending good thoughts and prayers. I have been through this exact surgery and was able to have reconstructive surgery six months later, thus losing the colostomy. I hope your BIL has the same results.

I'm sure it was a very scary experience to have this happen on a ship. I'm glad they were smart enough to have insurance -- this is a prime example of why it is worth the extra cost.

Hope he has a total recovery.

Janette

Pam,'

You and your famiily have a very caring community here at CC praying for him. Please keep us updated of his situation.

Thank you for taking the time to share your inputs about insurance-many think it is just for trip cancellation or lost baggage, but medical reasons like this are what I look at it for.

I'm so sorry to hear about this and wish you all the best during this difficult time. My husband had a terrible perferation in his bowl after having surgery for diverticulitis and he had terrible spread of infections and nearly had the second surgery with colostomy. It is very tramatic and just a terrible thing to go through so I am feeling for all of you. Our biggest saving grace was an outstanding infectious disease doctor who was very much on the ball with the antibiotic treatments. It sounds like he is in wonderful hands. All the best to you all during this very difficult time. I'm happy to hear Princess was on the ball and got him the best care possible!

Oh dear Pam, I am so saddened to hear about your BIL's illness. Thank goodness the medical staff on Princess ships are great. Thankfully he is in good hands now and with all the good wishes will hopefully recover quickly. All the best wishes to you and your family in these trying times.

Sorry to hear the news Pam, I hope all is well now. As Coral mentioned my Mom fell and broke her hip last Jan shortly before sailing on the Grand from Ft Lauderdale. Princess staff responded quickly also and helped my Dad arrange a lot of stuff. They also continued to help for the next two weeks they were in Ft Lauderdale, driving my Dad to the bank and for several errands. Mom finally flew hme on a medical evac flight to a local facility.

Great to hear they continue to give good medical and customer service.

My prayers are with your family.

Thanks for the Insurance suggestion. We always have it but many do not and as you point out it takes just one incident like this to make one realize this tyoe of thing can happen to anyone.

Please keep us posted on you brother-in-law's condition.

Take care

Bev

Pam, I am so sorry to hear about your BIL but am thankful that God placed the right people at the right time to take care of him and your family. May He continue to give you all strength, courage, and peace. May He give the doctors and staff that are now taking care of your BIL wisdom, compassion, and understanding. Blessings to you.

Phil 4:13..I can do all things through Jesus Christ who strengthens me.

Pam,

I read more than write here, but sending good thoughts to you and your BIL and family.

He was in a good place to have something like this happen, apparently. I had nearly the same thing happen to me last June 2 weeks before a cruise. I'm so thankful I was NOT in the Med. when it happened but it is heartening to hear how good the Princess staff were. BTW, all is well for me now (amazing how many have had this procedure!) and I'm sure all will be fine for your BIL. With such fine care before ever even getting off the ship, he can't help but have a full and healthy recovery!

We did have insurance and were able to re-coup the entire cost of the flights/cruise. Always good to have a reminder like this for those who don't choose to buy insurance.

Just remember to take care of yourselves, too. Your BIL will need support. :)

Susan

Archived