Still want to buy counterfeits???

Jane110

Those of you who don't buy illegal counterfeit goods, ignore this post.

Those of you who buy illegal goods, which support terrorism, child labor and drug cartels, read on. Here's what's in the perfumes.....

Perfumes bought in non-traditional venues - mall kiosks, non-legit websites, or out of the trunk of a car are fakes. Want to know what's in them?

First of all, they don't smell like real deal, and the chemicals used are of cheap quality, may not have had the propler handling, are filled with bacteria and guess what one of the ingredients is? URINE!

It's used to balance the PH factor as well as for color!

One NY dermatologist I know treats people who come in with disgusting rashes they got from putting these bacteria filled liquids on themselves. eeooww!

I'm not legally allowed to repost the news video - and I'm no trademark violator! But if you go to ABC news, read this month's Harpers Bazaar, or do an internet search, you'll find it.

They will also tell you how to spot a fake. It's in the packaging.

However, if you stick to legitmate stores, you don't have to worry in the first place! :)

I know I'm supposed to ignore, but I wanted to say there is an interesting thread on the Asia board asking where to find knockoffs. What kills me is that people think the quality is the same. It's not even close in 98% of the cases.

I've read some scary articles about counterfeit drugs and cosmetics. Yikes!

That's gross, to be sure, and I don't buy counterfeits (mostly because I don't buy much perfume to begin with). But honestly, high-end perfumes (not colognes) are made with some pretty repulsive stuff anyway. Anal secretions in Chanel No. 5 and Shalimar, whale-intestine lining, and in the first article to which I linked, the parfumeur notes that human excrement is sometimes used to blend the notes in designer perfumes.

I do agree, though, that from a human rights standpoint, counterfeiting of any kind is abhorrent. And I think I'll stick to colognes from now on! :D

That's gross, to be sure, and I don't buy counterfeits (mostly because I don't buy much perfume to begin with). But honestly, high-end perfumes (not colognes) are made with some pretty repulsive stuff anyway. Anal secretions in Chanel No. 5 and Shalimar, whale-intestine lining, and in the first article to which I linked, the parfumeur notes that human excrement is sometimes used to blend the notes in designer perfumes.

I do agree, though, that from a human rights standpoint, counterfeiting of any kind is abhorrent. And I think I'll stick to colognes from now on! :D

Anal secretions and whale intestine and other animal products haven't been used in decades!

And btw, even when they were used, they were sanitized. just sayin'.....

The article to which I linked stated that civet cat was still being used in some older and more recent perfumes ... but we know that the New York Times isn't 100% accurate!

Beauty can certainly be an ugly business, no matter how you look at it--it's our responsibility as consumers to find those products which are as humanely and ethically produced as possible. And human urine has NO place in either one of those pursuits!

I know I'm supposed to ignore,

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like a command! Anyone is welcome to read and comment. :D

but I wanted to say there is an interesting thread on the Asia board asking where to find knockoffs. What kills me is that people think the quality is the same. It's not even close in 98% of the cases.

The world is full of dishonest people - those that make the illegal stuff and those that buy it.

Eau de Urine - the new fragrance from Counterfeiter No. 5 :D

Jane - mall kiosks are not legitimate product? I didn't realize that. I've seen perfume kiosks in lots of malls up here in Ontario, and I guess I just assumed because they were in a mall, they would have to be legitimate products.

Good to know!

Jane - mall kiosks are not legitimate product? I didn't realize that. I've seen perfume kiosks in lots of malls up here in Ontario' date=' and I guess I just assumed because they were in a mall, they would have to be legitimate products.

Good to know![/quote']

I honestly don't know. I was just repeating what they said in the news piece. I've never bought fragrance at a kiosk. (and I only get to a mall about once or twice a year) I prefer a dept store or specialty store experience. The knowlege of a good sales person, along with the generous samples I'm given of other fragrances makes it a pleasurable experience that I enjoy. So it's never occured to me to buy a bottle of perfume at a kiosk. Even if it were a legitmate product, I don't know if I would trust how it's been handled (subject to extreme hot or cold temps) or how long it's been around.

How much of a discount do they offer?

If you have a favorite fragrance that you always buy, you could always call the company, tell them where you buy it and ask them if that vendor is a recognized seller of their products.

They did say to look for things on the boxes such as how the plastic is wrapped, (should be tight) and where the barcode is. (though I don't recall that aspect, since it's never been a concern)

I honestly don't know. I was just repeating what they said in the news piece. I've never bought fragrance at a kiosk. (and I only get to a mall about once or twice a year) I prefer a dept store or specialty store experience. The knowlege of a good sales person, along with the generous samples I'm given of other fragrances makes it a pleasurable experience that I enjoy. So it's never occured to me to buy a bottle of perfume at a kiosk. Even if it were a legitmate product, I don't know if I would trust how it's been handled (subject to extreme hot or cold temps) or how long it's been around.

How much of a discount do they offer?

If you have a favorite fragrance that you always buy, you could always call the company, tell them where you buy it and ask them if that vendor is a recognized seller of their products.

They did say to look for things on the boxes such as how the plastic is wrapped, (should be tight) and where the barcode is. (though I don't recall that aspect, since it's never been a concern)

I have no idea how much they discount. Like you, I buy fragraces at mainstream department stores (or duty free ;)).

But it just never occurred to me that anything sold in a mall would be knock offs! Like I said earlier, I only assumed they would HAVE to abide by the rules governing the sales of such merchandise.

However, fine fragrances are sold in many more stores than they used to be. For example, a major drug store up here in Canada now sells many upscale lines. It just to be Jean Nate was the "good" stuff at a drug store!!! LOL

I know we toured some old caves in Tenensee halfway betwen Chattanooga and Knoxville many years ago.

The guide told us bat droppings had many uses including being used in cosmetics. His joke was, "so when a mom tell her teen daughter to get that c**P off her face, that Mom was telling the truth!"

Just because fragrance is sold in kiosks at a mall doesn't mean they aren't knock-offs. I've seen handbags sold in kiosks -- handbags with initials on them -- and for sure they weren't real.

Jane, thanks for the head's up on what's happening with knock-offs. You taught me that several years ago when I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Really opened my eyes.

Aside from a bar code, there is usually a batch code on the bottom of all products. It is a stamped code rather than a pre-printed code. However, I checked a couple of my cologne bottles and...no batch code :confused: These are both purchased from Nordstrom and are Chanel and Bvulgari brands, so one would assume they are not counterfeit :rolleyes:.

My daughter has a bottle of perfume she purchsed when she was in Paris and it does have a batch code. When there is a recall of almost any product, food or cosmetic or cleaner...the recall always has a batch code published.

Anyway, it can be one way to check a product before purchase.

I know we toured some old caves in Tenensee halfway betwen Chattanooga and Knoxville many years ago.

The guide told us bat droppings had many uses including being used in cosmetics. His joke was, "so when a mom tell her teen daughter to get that c**P off her face, that Mom was telling the truth!"

Guides with attempted humor like that are the reason I stay as far away from tour guides as I possibly can! Yeesh!

Just because fragrance is sold in kiosks at a mall doesn't mean they aren't knock-offs. I've seen handbags sold in kiosks -- handbags with initials on them -- and for sure they weren't real.

Jane, thanks for the head's up on what's happening with knock-offs. You taught me that several years ago when I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Really opened my eyes.

Thanks Esther. :)

As I said, I was just repeating what I heard on the news review. I get to a mall maybe once or twice a year and have never bought anything from one of those kiosks. I just see that the merchandise isn't what I'm looking for - wigs, costume jewelry, hair pieces, perfumes - street fair stuff.

I was fascinated last year in Venice watching a group of African immigrants who were carrying large, filled, white sheets through the streets...they would stop outside high end shops and spread the sheets out on the pavement with their knock-off purses displayed. I have to admit some looked like "the real thing".If they got a whiff of the police they would quickly gather the ends of the sheet and run.

Tourists were buying them but selling and buying counterfeit goods are illegal, and you could be fined up to 10,000 euros if the police conduct a sweep and you're caught with a knock-off.

I wonder if anyone has ever actually been charged and who supplies them with these knock offs in the first place ?

I was fascinated last year in Venice watching a group of African immigrants who were carrying large, filled, white sheets through the streets...they would stop outside high end shops and spread the sheets out on the pavement with their knock-off purses displayed. I have to admit some looked like "the real thing".If they got a whiff of the police they would quickly gather the ends of the sheet and run.

Tourists were buying them but selling and buying counterfeit goods are illegal, and you could be fined up to 10,000 euros if the police conduct a sweep and you're caught with a knock-off.

I wonder if anyone has ever actually been charged and who supplies them with these knock offs in the first place ?

They were in Paris too. They were all over the Eiffel Tower vicinity, selling Eiffel Tower key chains. Back in 2007, we also saw them in the Versailles parking lots selling the same stuff. I did not see them selling perfume though.

I saw this report on Robin Meade Headline news this morning. On this report, they were especially talking about street vendors and flea markets. They said it was not like the "knock offs" you see at drug stores that say this fragrance smells like "so-n-so." they said these bottles appeared to be the real thing, not copy cat fragrances. They said to look for things like KS said, bar codes, if the shape of the bottle is slightly off, etc.

My thinking is,if you bought your fragrance at a flea market (and I am also thinking E-bay-although this report did not mention E-bay) for a greatly reduced price,then you should suspect it is NOT the real thing. It just makes sense.

Ebay sellers could be selling the real thing, but remember that sellers on Ebay could also be selling stolen goods.

I just can't support crime. I'd rather buy genuine product that I can afford and make sure it's real, support the economy rather than a thief or counterfeiter.

OMGGG I HATE FAKESSSSSSSSS!

I've seen people ask.... "where do we buy knock offs in __________ ?". It's exactly THAT... a knock off! Why even waste a $? It doesn't look like the real thing.... I have probably 10 designer bags: Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Coach and Marc Jacobs. I'm in no means an expert but I can tell a real one from a fake from 20 ft away!

...what kills me even more are people who wear fake Coach! You can get a Coach purse for like $50-$100 on sale or at outlets (Gucci, Coach & Marc Jacob ALL go on sale! Unlike L.V that NEVER goes on sale)... why not wait and get it on sale!

It's soo embarrasing when I see someone with a fake... it's like... who are you kidding? :rolleyes: There are so many "no name" nice bags... why carry a knock off?!?!

I've seen people ask.... "where do we buy knock offs in __________ ?". It's exactly THAT... a knock off! Why even waste a $? It doesn't look like the real thing.... I have probably 10 designer bags: Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Coach and Marc Jacobs. I'm in no means an expert but I can tell a real one from a fake from 20 ft away!

...what kills me even more are people who wear fake Coach! You can get a Coach purse for like $50-$100 on sale or at outlets (Gucci, Coach & Marc Jacob ALL go on sale! Unlike L.V that NEVER goes on sale)... why not wait and get it on sale!

It's soo embarrasing when I see someone with a fake... it's like... who are you kidding? :rolleyes: There are so many "no name" nice bags... why carry a knock off?!?!

I totally agree. For some, I think it's the "instant gratification syndrome". I am in no way rich, but I do own several designer bags such as Gucci, LV, Chanel and Fendi.

With the exception of one bag, they are all used. I'm ok with that. I'll buy a used LV any day before I buy a new fake one. I give myself a budget and save my money. If it takes me a couple of months to find something in my budget, so be it.

I don't care how much you spend on a fake bag, it's still a waste of money.

You don't have to go to Europe to see that. Just go to NYC, in Times Square and when they get wind of INS, they grab the corners of the sheets and disappear into the streets and nearby buildings. It's a known fact that in NYC, in Chinatown, you can get almost any knockoff in the back of quite a few shops. You just have to ask. The police rarely have time to bust them. That said, I don't buy knockoffs. I'd rather have a few real well made designer bags than multiple cheap knockoffs. I have Coach and Dooney and Bourke. Some Coach was bought at the Coach outlet store, but that's the best deals I've gotten.

I've seen people ask.... "where do we buy knock offs in __________ ?".

What's interesting to me is that if these same people asked "Where can I buy pot in Jamaica?", their post would probably be taken off the board, because, after all, drugs are illegal. But so are fakes.

You don't have to go to Europe to see that. Just go to NYC, in Times Square and when they get wind of INS, they grab the corners of the sheets and disappear into the streets and nearby buildings. It's a known fact that in NYC, in Chinatown, you can get almost any knockoff in the back of quite a few shops. You just have to ask. The police rarely have time to bust them. That said, I don't buy knockoffs. I'd rather have a few real well made designer bags than multiple cheap knockoffs. I have Coach and Dooney and Bourke. Some Coach was bought at the Coach outlet store, but that's the best deals I've gotten.

I've seen police do sweeps and come in and take all the merchandise and arrest the sellers. Unlike Europe, they rarely arrest the buyers. One time I saw a group of about 4 cluless tourists buying the fakes on the street. About 5 undercover police quickly circled and grabbed all the guys selling, had them in handcuffs and took the fakes away from the women. One of them was stuipd enough to tell the cop, "We just bought these, we should get my money back". He looked at her in disbelief and said, "Lady, you're lucky I'm not arresting you! Get outa here!".

I watched - it was the best chuckle I had all day.

Archived