Holland is Making Major Pricing Changes

rich_cathybrock

I am not sure who the other agency was, but there is an earlier thread on the Holland boards citing another agency who posted a similar announcement on their site.

There were even posts on that thread from some customers with excerpted emails from their TAs talking to the price fix being imposed on them.

Seems to me either Holland really is trying to implement something or a lot of agents are trying (at various times) to boost sales with this tactic.

Either event would, IMHO, be an unfortunate sign of the economic times in which we are living...

It's simple economics. The TA in question was offering some very good perks and discounts during a period of declining sales. When sales started to increase, they withdrew some of the perks and discounts in an attempt to maximize profits.

If in its contract with HAL an agency will get increased commision or over-rides by generating gynormous $ale$ ... one resulting action might be to create among the masses a buying panic ... thus increasing their agency commision/over-rides. Well, then, there's oodles of $$$ to cover perks to clients. Just a thought.

And now, they say the deadline is to book by 2/17, in order to avoid a price increase that will take effect 2/18.

With credibility like that, these guys are extremely well qualified for a lifelong career in politics.

And today it's 2/19.

Anyone want to guess what the new date will be tomorrow?

Shameless! I have, as I said, always gotten an extremely good price with this agency, but I have to admit this is a very questionable practice...

As long as their prices and service hold true for future bookings, I will probably continue to book through them. If I find a better price (doubtful, since at this rate this will be extended well into the Spring when Holland announces it's next round of Europe 2011 :rolleyes:) I will book elsewhere.

Somehow, I am not so worried about this any more....

And today it's 2/19.

Anyone want to guess what the new date will be tomorrow?

This is not any different from the way most airlines operate. You can check everyday and get a different fare or a different "book before date" price for the same flight. And when that "book before date" expires, a new one comes up immediately with a new date a few days later.

As Jimbo said, keep checking and when you see a price you like, go for it. Nobody is out to scam you here.

Has someone thought that it could just be an advertising gimmick?:D

Yes!

I got the original email from them, requested a quote the day before their rates were "supposed" to go up, received the quote well after that date (ok, it was a holiday weekend...), and the price quoted was good for several more days.

I've used this agency before, without problems. They even let me cancel and rebook last year, from a late fall cruise to one leaving in six weeks (saved us a bundle!), and waived their $35 cancellation fee, but...

I no longer like their "tactics" and think I would rather pay a bit more to HAL directly, or to an agency that isn't playing games. Ya know?

This is not any different from the way most airlines operate. You can check everyday and get a different fare or a different "book before date" price for the same flight. And when that "book before date" expires, a new one comes up immediately with a new date a few days later.

Actually, this is very different than what you describe. No travel site ever states that Delta or Continental will forbid discounting starting tomorrow and that you must book by today in order to get an exceptional deal.

If the agency in question simply wants to hold a cruise sale, and advertise it as such, that is their prerogative. But to state that Holland America will prohibit all agents from offering discounts when that is not the case -- how is that not lying? I am sure HAL would be none too pleased with it. Not to mention the FTC, which frowns on deceptive advertising.

But to state that Holland America will prohibit all agents from offering discounts when that is not the case -- how is that not lying? I am sure HAL would be none too pleased with it. Not to mention the FTC, which frowns on deceptive advertising.

If they have been told by HAL that the cruiseline has the right in the future to prohibit cash discounts then I have no problem with them disclosing this...HAL has not denied this nor am I aware of any FTC action.

The FTC won't get involved until they get formal complaints from consumers (or groups of travel agents), and until consumers have something directly from HAL stating the allegations that are now from 1 or 2 travel agencies they have nothing to go on. What evidence could the complainants provide except hearsay. (My travel agent says.....) Even with statements directly from HAL if they exist I wonder if they would care. From what I read at the time, RCCL introduced such a policy publicly a year or two ago and it seems to still be in effect.

I am sincerely trying to understand who is 'harmed' by this obvious marketing tactic. Clearly the TA in question wants to entice more bookings. And I am willing to bet that they have some reason to support their claims (like a HAL press release from last year). I am by no means an experienced searcher of all things cruise prices, but from I can tell they are still selling below other on-line TA's. At least as of today. If you don't want to save some money, book elsewhere.

Much ado about nothing.....

Dennis

I am sincerely trying to understand who is 'harmed' by this obvious marketing tactic. Clearly the TA in question wants to entice more bookings. And I am willing to bet that they have some reason to support their claims (like a HAL press release from last year). I am by no means an experienced searcher of all things cruise prices, but from I can tell they are still selling below other on-line TA's. At least as of today. If you don't want to save some money, book elsewhere.

Much ado about nothing.....

Dennis

Absolutely right on!

Keep checking different sites and options. When you find one that suits you, book the cruise and forget about it...until embarkation!

I have mixed feelings about the outcome. I am not pleased to see that this appears to have been a sales pitch (nor to learn that it is not the first time a TA has done this since seeing an earlier thread on topic where another TA "advertised" the same thing).

I am, however, relieved to see that HAL is not holding prices up after all, and am happy to see that as consumers we can keep shopping for the best prices when booking cruises with HAL.

As I said earlier, I have always gotten good service from this TA, so if the price I pay for a 12-14 day Med cruise averages 300-600/pp less why not continue to buy there?

Imagine that -- the website in question is now offering the same prices as before, but they've dropped all the references to HAL imposing a new non-discounting policy to all travel agents worldwide.

Saw that too, but now they are saying the new date is 2/24.

I've booked with this TA too and have had no problems and great pricing.

I'm just wondering if the streamlined pricing will actually happen and what the implications will be.

If it does happen, I wonder if HAL will go the way of Celebrity and honor pricing reductions after PIF date?

I have seen this sight, so the price is lower. What happens after I purchase? Can I see my reservation on the Holland website? Does buying with a TA hamper my chances of getting a great SZ upgrade? Does Holland email me, as they have in the past, with an upgrade offer? Or does it have to work it's way through the online TA system? Worry worry to save some money, where is the fun?:confused:

I have seen this sight, so the price is lower. What happens after I purchase? Can I see my reservation on the Holland website?

Yes, when I purchased through this site, I can see my current reservation online on the HAL website.

Sorry I can't answer your other questions. We've never upgraded/upsold, etc.

We've never been upgraded either, and we have sailed a few times...

Now I reallize why!

Wouldn't it stand to reason that HAL would offer upgrades or upsells to those who have paid more for the cabin they are booked in?

If so, those of us using a deep discounter are a little more "Type A" and would rather BE the upgrade fairy than wait for the ubiquotous visit! :cool:

Archived