Jumping overboard is no joke!

highcbob

So, hasn't she suffered enough? Why take her cruise away, too? Probably her only chance to get away from him for a while.

Seriously Ruth, I can see why they kicked her off, too. Imaigne what a peach she'd have been if they'd allowed her to stay onboard without him - I'll bet she'd have trouble finding anything right with the trip after that. Everything from the amount of blueberries in her muffins ;) to the colour of the red wine could have been an issue.

Copper: about the sign . . . you're right on the money!

Art Linkletter used to say "Kids say the darndest things . . . those kids have grown up and as adults, say the stupidest things.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Gerry

Maybe "a lot" would be an exageration. Like the dude discussed here, people who use the word "bomb" when travelling by air would possibly not be allowed to travel. There is consequences such as fines and even prison, as this is considered a threat to an aircraft's safety. It certainly would not increase their chances of getting anything...

Considering the consequences: :eek:

Being taken to a separate area, stripped, body searched, questioned, fined, billed for wasting X man-hours of police time, almost inevitably delayed beyond departure time of the flight, most certainly denied boarding without compensation if by some miracle they do let you go in time, possibly blacklisted for future travel with the airline you pulled this stunt on......

Considering all that, the fact that it happens as regularly as once a week does seem like "a lot" - and that is in one airport in Europe, so this is happening daily in places all over the globe. Security in the US is not going to be any easier to deal with than in Europe, we expect. From our own experience US border security was troublesome enough when we came through on our 2003 and 2004 cruises, as innocent travellers. We do not want to see them in full-on :mad:MAD:mad: -mode!:D

I say light hearted things all the time, and especially when my guard is down and I'm on vacation. Although I may stick my foot in mouth, I've not made this statement. I'm sure there must have been something more that must have influenced the ships decision.

Some years ago, a Williamsburg woman "lightheartedly" joked about a bomb being in her suitcase at either the check-in counter of a major airline flying out of Richmond, VA. or during the scanning of carry-on luggage. As she was arrested, she protested she was only trying to make the airline/TSA employees smile. She was serious and used this excuse as her defense. She got five years in prison.

Seriously Ruth, I can see why they kicked her off, too. Imaigne what a peach she'd have been if they'd allowed her to stay onboard without him - I'll bet she'd have trouble finding anything right with the trip after that. Everything from the amount of blueberries in her muffins ;) to the colour of the red wine could have been an issue.

Gerry

Oh, I don't know, Gerry. She might have turned out to be the happiest woman on the ship after hubby was gone. :D

Oh, I don't know, Gerry. She might have turned out to be the happiest woman on the ship after hubby was gone. :D

You are making several unwarranted assumptions in that bit of speculation, dear Ruth, the most glaring of which being that she and he didn't get along. In all likelihood, they were more similar than they were different. ;)

You are making several unwarranted assumptions in that bit of speculation, dear Ruth, the most glaring of which being that she and he didn't get along.

Not really, Greg. I'm only allowing for the possibility that the wife would know better and could have been embarrassed. I'm not declaring it definitively.

I've known of too many women who, try as they might, just can't get Mr. Wonderful to behave in public. There's nothing in the newsarticle to indicate the wife did anything wrong, other than be married to the guy.

This guy doesn't sound too smart. Wife must have had some clue before she married him. However, on the off chance that he didn't show his true colors initially, I agree with Ruth that she might have been very happy sailing solo.

Anyway, since 9/11, it's pretty dumb to joke about jumping off a ship or having a bomb in your luggage.

You are making several unwarranted assumptions in that bit of speculation, dear Ruth, the most glaring of which being that she and he didn't get along. In all likelihood, they were more similar than they were different. ;)

Not neccessarily

I know many cases where the most miserable SOB on the planet is married to one of the nicest women you could ever meet . Also some of the meanest "witches " to ever fly a broomstick have been married to some of the nicest guys around.

My former in laws were proof positive of that second group.:(

I'm thinking there's something more going on here. If the guy really did say something in a "joking" manner (I'm not even going to begin to touch on how stupid it is) along the lines of what do I have to do to get you to pay attention to me? Jump off the ship??? That really should warrant him getting kicked off. That is a statement that wasn't intended to be taken as actual threat, it's a rhetorical statement.

What's interesting is that supposedly both people were seen and cleared by the ships doctors, sent to shore doctors and seen and cleared by them, and THEN kicked off the ship.

Methinks they were royal pains in the arses of HAL and HAL might have had a little perverse pleasure in sending them through all the time and expense of getting cleared just to throw them off the ship anyway.

Thats my bit of wild speculation.

Not really, Greg. I'm only allowing for the possibility that the wife would know better and could have been embarrassed. I'm not declaring it definitively.

I've known of too many women who, try as they might, just can't get Mr. Wonderful to behave in public. There's nothing in the newsarticle to indicate the wife did anything wrong, other than be married to the guy.

Granted.

Not neccessarily

I know many cases where the most miserable SOB on the planet is married to one of the nicest women you could ever meet . Also some of the meanest "witches " to ever fly a broomstick have been married to some of the nicest guys around.

My former in laws were proof positive of that second group.:(

Also granted.

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]As the example with "the jumper" shows, the problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Okay ... everybody ... OUT of the pool! :D

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Not really, Greg. I'm only allowing for the possibility that the wife would know better and could have been embarrassed. I'm not declaring it definitively. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I've known of too many women who, try as they might, just can't get Mr. Wonderful to behave in public. There's nothing in the newsarticle to indicate the wife did anything wrong, other than be married to the guy. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I'm married to a Mr Wonderful but he's also 'Mr Mouthy' when complaining to TSA personnel about TSA policies, training, budget etc. I make sure we are in separate lines when going through security. So far as I'm concerned I don't even know the guy until we're past security, putting our shoes back on. We each carry our own airplane tickets and I carry the cruise tickets.
I warn him that both our names are on the cruise tickets and that if his mouth gets him detained, I'm sailing without him.
I wouldn't enjoy the cruise nearly as much, worrying about him, but he knows that if his mouth gets him in trouble, he's on his own.
Other than that shortcoming he is thoughtful, considerate, and kind.

[QUOTE]I make sure we are in separate lines when going through security. So far as I'm concerned I don't even know the guy until we're past security, putting our shoes back on. We each carry our own airplane tickets and I carry the cruise tickets.
I warn him that both our names are on the cruise tickets and that if his mouth gets him detained, I'm sailing without him.
[/QUOTE]

DH pulled one stupid stunt that had me chewing him out publically on our first cruise. I [B]never [/B]get mad at him. He was completely chastened, and has not done that since. And yes, I did tell him I'd go without him, and gave him change for a payphone in case he needed to call someone to help him out (like a lawyer).

[quote name='CowPrincess']DH pulled one stupid stunt that had me chewing him out publically on our first cruise. I [B]never [/B]get mad at him. He was completely chastened, and has not done that since. And yes, I did tell him I'd go without him, and gave him change for a payphone in case he needed to call someone to help him out (like a lawyer).[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Nice work. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='NMLady']I warn him that both our names are on the cruise tickets and that if his mouth gets him detained, I'm sailing without him. [/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Good for you. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived