Oosterdam and Winter Olympics

Vic The Parrot

Having just returned from the Vancouver 2010 O's, I can tell you the area around Canada Place is surrounded by security barriers as this is the main TV network centre. Security is very tight from both the land side as well as water side and admission is only allowed for accredited media personnel. There is a water boom around Canada Place to prevent any water craft from getting close to the pier. All of the ships are docked at the "freighter docks" and are housing the police and military that are providing security for the Olympics.

Look forward to seeing the area in July when we embark on an Alaskan cruise with all of the barriers removed.

Go Canada Go:)

Does the ship provide any food/drink? I wonder if they pay a la carte or if the charter includes breakfast for all or any bar budget.

Is it merely a place to sleep and shower or full 'hotel facilities'?

Having just returned from the Vancouver 2010 O's, I can tell you the area around Canada Place is surrounded by security barriers as this is the main TV network centre. Security is very tight from both the land side as well as water side and admission is only allowed for accredited media personnel. There is a water boom around Canada Place to prevent any water craft from getting close to the pier. All of the ships are docked at the "freighter docks" and are housing the police and military that are providing security for the Olympics.

Look forward to seeing the area in July when we embark on an Alaskan cruise with all of the barriers removed.

Go Canada Go:)

If you watch the NBC or CTV networks you will see 'The Sails' on top of Canada Place keep changing colour, very pretty. The media centre is located between Canada Place and Stanley Park.

Does the ship provide any food/drink? I wonder if they pay a la carte or if the charter includes breakfast for all or any bar budget.

Is it merely a place to sleep and shower or full 'hotel facilities'?

The info I rec'd when on the Statendam is that the Lido would be open 24/7 and some of the bars would be open. There would be no dining room and of course...no shows.

Thanks for the link duck tune. I know that the "O" and the Statendam are up there, does anyone know who the other ships are?

Carnival Elation is the other one. Ballantyne Pier is not a great location for cruise ships when carrying "tourists", Canada Place is much, much better. But, since this is for the Olympics, it was better to be at this location for the purpose they are serving.

I spoke with one of the Security personnel who was housed on the Oosterdam, and he said there is food in the Lido. He wondered if the food was better on a cruise, as he said the food that was being served was just like cafeteria food and very bland. He said the food was included. I imagine they would have to pay for any drinks other than the usual coffee, tea, milk, juice.

God, please let someone leave an MP5 under their bed by mistake...

You live in Az. you should be able to buy and MP5 ( 9mm machine gun that Law Enforcement use) at any store with your liberal gun laws.

Here in Ca. it would take an act of the state senate to buy one here.

Even if you could buy one here you could not carry it. :(

I'm thinking Vancouver PD shooed the "oldest profession in the world" participants away from the Ballentyne area?:cool:

Never mind the "hookers" . I'm sure they were shooed away. However according to our local media, some of our "finest" were sent away for public misconduct. Let your imagine figure out what it was. Tomorrow all will be setting sail for warmer climes.:rolleyes:

Archived