Alpha, Bravo .. but Echo?

Anyone who has cruised frequently on RC knows that "Alpha Alpha Alpha" means a medical emergency, and "Bravo Bravo Bravo" means fire.

But I was on the Enchantment not long ago, and heard "Echo Echo Echo". I never did figure out what was going on, although if it is a clue, the seas were really rough at the time.

Are there other codes? Charlie? Delta?

But I was on the Enchantment not long ago, and heard "Echo Echo Echo". I never did figure out what was going on, although if it is a clue, the seas were really rough at the time.

Did the ship take a hard turn or list at all? In normal nautical terms, Echo means the ship is altering to starboard.

Anyone who has cruised frequently on RC knows that "Alpha Alpha Alpha" means a medical emergency, and "Bravo Bravo Bravo" means fire.

I don't know Echo, but Oscar is "Man Overboard".

I was on the Radiance last November when the Carnival Splendor hit us in Puerto Vallarta and the Captain came over the intercom and said Echo, Echo, Echo.

I think it means some emergency with the ship itself.

Toni

The nautical Flag E means:

E: Echo - altering course to starboard.

Yes, but there would be no reason to announce over the emergency PA that the ship was bearing left.

Emergency with the ship itself sounds credible given the circumstances.

So we've got Alpha, Bravo, Echo, and Oscar. Any others?

As far as the "codes" for the ships... at least RCI ships... on our last tour of the bridge (yes a perk for Diamond+) I asked... and this is what I learned...

Oscar - Man overboard... Usually with a direction (port or starboard, forward or aft)

Delta - Bio Hazard (I don't even want to think about that one)

Alpha - Medical ... again often with a location

Bravo - Fire... one you never want to hear --

As far as Echo... it is the term used to denote a possible colision... but I'm not sure whether it is used on cruise ships to denote colision... but I'll ask on our next cruise...

Happy Sailing!

While on the Monarch in December there was a large fight that broke out. Echo deck 12 starboard was used several times, and boy did the reinforcements come running.

So my guess would be Echo is a fight with the location of the fight.

I don't know Echo, but Oscar is "Man Overboard".
Hopefully, they'll never hire a captain named Oscar. :)

The hospital where I live used to page Dr. Strong when they need security, and then they got a doctor on staff whose name was Strong. Not sure what they did about it.

Whiskey, Whiskey, Whiskey = shopping emergency. The ship is returning to port because the young lady decided she still wants that 2-karat diamond ring from Diamonds International.

Man you had me worried for a moment. I thought you were going to say Whiskey, Whiskey, Whiskey was a distress signal that the ship ran out of Whiskey.

As far as the "codes" for the ships... at least RCI ships... on our last tour of the bridge (yes a perk for Diamond+) I asked... and this is what I learned...

Oscar - Man overboard... Usually with a direction (port or starboard, forward or aft)

Delta - Bio Hazard (I don't even want to think about that one)

Bravo - Fire... one you never want to hear --

As far as Echo... it is the term used to denote a possible colision... but I'm not sure whether it is used on cruise ships to denote colision... but I'll ask on our next cruise...

Happy Sailing!

Heard the Bravo call a few times during my cruises, fortunately it never was a big deal, though I agree better not have it;)

Whiskey, Whiskey, Whiskey = shopping emergency. The ship is returning to port because the young lady decided she still wants that 2-karat diamond ring from Diamonds International.

I thought that signal was wine, wine, wine (as in "but honey you promised me that ring, please let me have that ring, please make the ship turn around......please) and is served with a side of cheese.

I thought that signal was wine, wine, wine (as in "but honey you promised me that ring, please let me have that ring, please make the ship turn around......please) and is served with a side of cheese.

Now that's funny. Ouch! My wife just slapped me.

• 2 months later...
Heard the Bravo call a few times during my cruises, fortunately it never was a big deal, though I agree better not have it;)

Delta - Bio Hazard (I don't even want to think about that one) - DOES NOT EXIST

Bravo - Fire...... BRAVO DOES NOT ACTUALLY MEAN FIRE... ITS MEANS MANY THINGS, COLLISON, GROUNDING, OIL SPILLIAGE, CHEMICAL ISSUE, --

As far as Echo.....it is used when at anchor or in port as the OOW (officer on watch) feels that the ship is an danger... possibly high winds and needs to assemble the crew to move the passengers off the gangways and move ship away from the pier etc.

Well on most of the ships this is corect.. as for Royal Caribbean i have made the changed in RED

Now that's funny. Ouch! My wife just slapped me.

Man you had me worried for a moment. I thought you were going to say Whiskey, Whiskey, Whiskey was a distress signal that the ship ran out of Whiskey.

I was shouting Alpha, Alpha, Alpha, Echo,Echo, Echo when I read these. I knew a slap up side the head was coming, and help might be necessary to regain control.

Sofa, Sofa, Sofa, sounds like where you might have spent the night.

Archived