Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?

sail7seas

For those of you who don't want to do away with formal nights:

Would you be opposed if formal night became optional and those who didn't want to dress up dressed "country club casual" (no jeans, no shorts, etc..) were still allowed to have an enjoyable meal in the dining room while you were dressed in your formal attire?

No! It would only be a matter of time then before some start arguing what country club casual is and how they should be able to wear their jeans and t-shirts and be comfortable, yada yada. Formal nights would not be the same if everyone wasn't dressed up and looking fabulous.

Those that don't like or want formal nights have options - they can go on another line, dine in the Lido, or get room service and dress however they want. Why spoil it for the rest of us who enjoy it!?

I've been reading this topic with interest since it started...I thought I would offer up this question...

For those of you who don't want to do away with formal nights:

Would you be opposed if formal night became optional and those who didn't want to dress up dressed "country club casual" (no jeans, no shorts, etc..) were still allowed to have an enjoyable meal in the dining room while you were dressed in your formal attire?

No, it would be perfect if "elegant" dress code is accepted and tuxedos for men and grand soireè gowns for ladies remain optional.

Normally we do bring a dark jacket and tie (for him) and a light weight long dress (for me), I do not mind wearing the same dress to all formal nights even if I'd like to change but on a very long cruise I do have problems flying in and back with luggage weight. On this cruise there will be TEN formal nights... a bit too many.

I cannot see why I cannot enjoy the meal in dining room like the others, I do not spoil anyone's night if I cannot or do not want to "dress up", since after the meal I normally return to my cabin :) and don't go around parading.

We live in a small rural town with very few opportunities to dress up. My husband has a formal kilt with all of the extras that go with it. He loves to wear it and enjoys peoples reactions. Some are pretty funny. It is our time to enjoy fine dining, music theatre and meet interesting passengers. I would hate to see this event gone. I enjoy seeing how great everyone looks in their spiffy clothes. We live in such a casual culture it is a change to dress formal.

This is the argument I don't understand. How does what someone else wears spoil the evening for you?

How do you maintain an atmosphere of elegance when one is dressed casually?

It makes the evening special when everyone looks lovely in their tux & suits, dresses & gowns.

When you go to a 5 star restaurant you don't expect (or want) to see McDonald's patrons in their jeans and t-shirts. :rolleyes:

We live in a small rural town with very few opportunities to dress up. My husband has a formal kilt with all of the extras that go with it. He loves to wear it and enjoys peoples reactions. Some are pretty funny. It is our time to enjoy fine dining, music theatre and meet interesting passengers. I would hate to see this event gone. I enjoy seeing how great everyone looks in their spiffy clothes. We live in such a casual culture it is a change to dress formal.

Well, that is really nice :)

I have an indian silk saree that I use on Formal Nights in short cruises in the mediterranean , I prefer to wear something lighter on longer cruises.

Please keep the formal nights on HAL and Cunard (someday ;)). That leaves what, 20 other mass-market cruise lines to choose from, depending on your likes and dis-likes of formal night.

BTW. We have been repeatedly reminded of the wording of 'Clothing & Dress Code' from HAL. Well I just printed my paper docs for our 29 April sailing... YEAH!!!. The final paragraph sheds some important light on HAL's attitude on keeping formal nights formal. Yes, it's a profit center for HAL, but they do remind passengers that formalwear is a rentable and a convenient option.

I will have both my black and white (white for Tamirind nights) packed for Rome.

Dennis

How do you maintain an atmosphere of elegance when one is dressed casually?

It makes the evening special when everyone looks lovely in their tux & suits, dresses & gowns.

When you go to a 5 star restaurant you don't expect (or want) to see McDonald's patrons in their jeans and t-shirts. :rolleyes:

What people wear is not the only thing that makes the evening elegant. The food, the service, the room, the table setting all make the evening elegant! And part of that is feeling comfortable in what you are wearing.

An no one is suggesting Jeans as an alternative!

On the fall repositioning cruise we are on there are 3 formal nights as I understand it. A little too much in our view especially for a vacation (that’s what cruising is all about). We may attend one and that is a big if so I will pack some dress clothes (shirt, tie suit or blazer) and the better half will take a dress or two

From where I stand, many of our friends who hear about cruising and seem interested have wondered out loud about being dressed up on a supposed vacation. It is an issue out there and many do research on these very boards and hear the various opinions on this topic. Some of our acquaintances decided not to pursue a cruise vacation and opted for an all inclusive simply because of the perception of dressing up. I have a hard job explaining that ”dressing up” is a pretty broad term and there are official formal nights in which it is strongly suggested/recommended appropriate attire, however there are other options available if formality isn’t your cup of tea, but to no avail and the idea of a cruise is usually quietly dropped.

Is this a segment of vacationers the cruise lines are missing out on, is it the type of vacationers cruise lines want to tap into at the possible expense of traditional repeat customers who enjoy what is currently available( after all traditional cruisers pay for their vacations as well). The segment I am talking about and are acquainted with are not the anything goes, Carnival party atmosphere types at all but the sort of quiet people who just want to wear what they feel like in accordance with their own tastes and travel with the minimum amount of luggage………..

Looks like I'm about a day late putting in my 2 cents! Better late than never I Guess.

To us Formal Nights are a significant reason why we like cruising. I'm not quite sure we would choose a cruise over other vacation options if formal nights were not in the mix.

So HAL, if you are reading PLEASE keep some formal nights!

Of course HAL should continue to have formal nights! If not on a cruise, where else will I have the opportunity to get dressed up and look gorgeous (as gorgeous as I can at this stage of the game, anyway :rolleyes:). It's such fun to put on those pretty clothes, then head out to see others dressed so nicely, too.

It makes the entire evening sparkle when we all contribute to the atmosphere. I would hate to lose that.

Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Gurl viewpost.gif

there is a long way in between :)

Exactly...and with 2,000 persons on board, each with their own assumptions and interpretation of what "resort casual" really is or means to them, I don't even want to try and imagine the results of dropping formal night... I fear that, without judging either location, "resort casual" in Texas and Italy are two different things. The HAL dress code, however, is very easy to read, leaves nothing to the imagination and is universal.

Of course HAL should continue to have formal nights! If not on a cruise, where else will I have the opportunity to get dressed up and look gorgeous (as gorgeous as I can at this stage of the game, anyway :rolleyes:). It's such fun to put on those pretty clothes, then head out to see others dressed so nicely, too.

It makes the entire evening sparkle when we all contribute to the atmosphere. I would hate to lose that.

Pic's please :D

I fear that, without judging either location, "resort casual" in Texas and Italy are two different things. The HAL dress code, however, is very easy to read, leaves nothing to the imagination and is universal.

:) elegant in Italy means : armani suit for hubbie and valentino long red dress for me, suppose it is the same in Texas. I would never go to restaurant with flipflops and capri's, even if they were covered in swarovsky :)

I've seen terrible outfits :) on gala nights.

We love the formal nights. It seems more like going to an elegant restaurant. All the servers and officers 'dress' for our dinner -- why shouldn't we return the compliment?

As for being 'allergic to ties', I've noticed a great new look in tuxedos -- not ties. A mandarin collar with a special 'button'. Looks terrific! These may even be available through the rental program as well.

I'm all for casual, but our entire culture is so casual that is it nice to remember our manners and be 'special' once in a while.

Cheers all!

LoyHAL

I like formal nights but I think to accomodate the majority of people the policy should be

jacket and tie for men , dress or suit for women. Required not optional. This would probably be more in keeping with a fine restaurant. I don't think any restaurants require tuxedos , do they ?

The tuxes look great but I think they are a throwback to another time . Kind of reminds me of old ballpark scenes from the fifties when everyone is wearing hats , suits and ties to watch the game. Or the old movies where even the criminals wore suit and tie .

Carnival cruises out of here are more McDonald oriented if that's what you like.

Exactly...and with 2,000 persons on board, each with their own assumptions and interpretation of what "resort casual" really is or means to them, I don't even want to try and imagine the results of dropping formal night... I fear that, without judging either location, "resort casual" in Texas and Italy are two different things. The HAL dress code, however, is very easy to read, leaves nothing to the imagination and is universal.
If your assumption is that Texas resorts are all about boots and livestock you would be correct.

However, here on the tropical beach resort island of Galveston we probably share a lot in common with Italy with two possible exceptions.

1. Clothing isn't optional in Texas

2. We prefer that the thongs be on the women

Thank y'all very much!:D

Hi Everyone, All of you are going to dissagree with me with this one. I'm an NYPD Detective, so I have to wear suits everyday to my job. On my cruise vacation I don't bring a jacket and tie. My wife and I'll wear resort casual, so I'll wear a nice sweater with navy or kacki pants. On HAL, nobody has ever said anything wrong with my appearence and what I see now is that many people dress resort casual on Formal Nights. Have a nice day.

We are tired of formal nights, and the luggage is a huge issue for us. We have 4 suitcases, and a hang up bag for our formal clothes. This is for a two week cruise. It will cost us $100 to check the hang up bag with our formal wear so my husband says he will carry it on the plane. He is 67 years old and has a bad back, and in the morning I think I'm going to tell him to leave it (hey, it is the morning). I've been up all night. I am so excited about the cruise. :D

I think it should be optional, or no more formal nights if I just have to say yes or no. I don't want the people that like it to have to give it up so I'd really rather say optional.

I don't understand why you need for many clothes for a two week cruise. We have cruised for three weeks with two 27/28" suitcases and two 22" carryons. Our formal clothes goes in our regular suitcases - no need for a garment bag. The only time we took an addditional suitcase was on our 35 day Voyage of the Vikings. My husband is a big guy so his clothes take up a lot of space. I limit my shoes and also avoid formal wear with full skirts and also beaded garments because of the weight.

Absolutely in favour of formal nights. It is one of the "Old" traditions while sailing. Besides there are not that many special occassions anymore to wear it.

Even with luggagerestrictions nowadays by airlines we still manage that.

Archived