Oh yeah (puts on fireproof suit)

Krissta

Reading all of this is making me (even more) sooo excited to go on my first cruise on Sunday!

Usually hubs and I order different things (app, entree, dessert) so that we can share and try everything without over-indulging. I imagine we will do the same on the cruise.

Off Topic: is it possible to become addicted to cruising when you haven't done it yet? I find myself 'shopping' for future cruises already -- and we haven't even taken the first one. LOL

Bitter and blanc is infinitely better than the warm chocolate melting cake.

:D

But seriously, had the WCMC on the first day, took one bite, and thought I was gonna throw up if I ate any more. WAY too rich. The bitter and blanc was amazing. And I just might have to make it sometime soon.

No flames here. I agree 100% with you. Biter and Blanc is the best

DW cancelled our first reservation to the Great Art Steakhouse because the Grand Mariner souffle was the dessert in the MDR that night :D. I like the old fashion apple pie and the BnB as first dessert choices too. Our first night dessert is always WCMC. And we usually order "one for the table" every night. My issue is the inconsistency of the cake. Needs to be soft like a souffle inside and a little thicker than hot fudge sauce in the very center. When over cooked you definitely need the ice cream dumped into the ramkin. When undercooked it's still a great chocolate pudding.

is it possible to become addicted to cruising when you haven't done it yet? I find myself 'shopping' for future cruises already -- and we haven't even taken the first one. LOL

Definitely. We wondered the same thing in 2008. We go on our third one in December. The only thing holding us back from cruising more is money.

Love, love, love the B&B! It's the dessert I look forward to the most. I tried the Grand Marnier Souffle for the first time on my last cruise and it is my second favorite. Cake is absolutely my favorite food by far (not just favorite dessert...favorite food in general) and I could eat it for every meal of every day, but WCMC isn't even cake. It's hot fudge!

Neither my husband nor I enjoy the WMC. We have tried it on a few occasions, but just can't get past the "uncooked" taste.

Now - the apple strudel from the bakery/coffee shop is a totally different matter!

WCMC is raw cake batter in the middle. yuck.

I did find one at the buffet that was just cooked (no runny batter in the middle) and it was quite good.

I do love a good chocolate cake, but I like cake baked, not raw and runny.

The $2.25 per slice chocolate cake in the coffee shop on the ship is excellent!

Just curious...

If you get full on dinner can you ask you MDR server for dessert to go?

As soon as the wait staff are done singing and dancing they'll get right on that.

Seriously, the room service chocolate cake is scrumptious, you might want to try that in your cabin.:)

Neither my husband nor I enjoy the WMC. We have tried it on a few occasions, but just can't get past the "uncooked" taste.

Now - the apple strudel from the bakery/coffee shop is a totally different matter!

I almost forgot about the apple strudel from the Splendor coffee shop, EXCELLENT!!!

On alternate nights I order 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup, or a cheese plate. Some nights, NO dessert. Dull, dull, dull!:o

The wife on the other hand has the philosophy that, "Life is uncertain, eat dessert FIRST!":D

She also has a t-shirt that says, "Gimme all your chocolate and nobody gets hurt!":eek::D

My mom and I tried this at Christmas and it turned out real close to the original. Some tweaks are advised. Try using 1tsp of cornstarch instead of 1Tbs. As is made the sauce thick which we thinned by adding either more Whole milk or cream (by then we were on our 2nd bottle of wine). Also do not cook as long as it says. The chocolate on the bottom got a little dry so use the same rules that you would when cooking chocolate cake. We also used the Brioche.

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding

serves 8

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

METHOD :

• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).
  • For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.
  • For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.
  • In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.
  • Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.
  • Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.

Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.

B&B is great, so is the Grand Marnier Souffle. I wish either or both were available nightly as an alternate.

Grand Marnier Souffle rocks. Every cruise I have one in the DR and they put a cover over a plate with three more of them. I eat them for breakfast as the ship pulls back in to the home port. Yum.

WCMC is raw cake batter in the middle. yuck.

I did find one at the buffet that was just cooked (no runny batter in the middle) and it was quite good.

I do love a good chocolate cake, but I like cake baked, not raw and runny.

Actually, it is not uncooked cake. I detest cake batter and gag when people eat cookie dough in any form other than DONE.

It is similar to a bundt cake recipe where you put batter in a pan, then a layer of ganache, then a layer of cake batter. The center is never supposed to harden. It's similar to the "molten lava" cake at Chili's, too.

If you got one that was cooked all the way through, it was overdone. I've had them before and sent them back.

I completely agree - Bitter & Blanc totally kicks WCMC's butt!!! It is my favorite dessert on Carnival.

I'd go for B&B and the Grand Marnier souffle as best in the MDR. But I do like WCMC too, like to give it a try every cruise.

BUT.... the BEST chocolate dessert on Carnival is the chocolate sampler in the supper club/steakhouse - four little hints of heaven that you will never forget. My sister still gasps every time I mention them.

Archived