Do we have to have or prescription bottles?

barberesr

I have never needed to keep meds in their original bottle, but I do bring a list of the brand name, dosage and strength with me, in case of emergency.

My mother has hers in an organizer and a list the same as Toto. Never been a problem flying from Bermuda to cruise wherever

This is directly from the TSA site:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/s…

= = = = = = =

All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Atropens, an auto-injection system that can help treat many emergency conditions (low heart rate, breathing problems, and excess saliva related to insecticide, nerve gas or mushroom poisoning) are also allowed.

We do not require that your medications be labeled.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) migraine inhalers and CO2 refills.

Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened.

Medication and related supplies are normally X-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.

We do, however, carry all descriptive copies of our prescription medications (those that come attached with your meds) with us just in case there is any question. We also carry a copy of the above disclaimer for the same reason. Hubby carries these in his pant's pocket as once through the checkpoint, you will not have access to your screened luggage to retrieve the proof of prescription.

Only once did we have to show proof of what was in my hubby's pill container and once we did so, we had no problem. The screener merely said "Thank you - you may proceed". He has each compartment labeled with the medication inside and places it in his carry-on luggage.

Those 90-day supply pill bottles are w-a-y to bulky to pack, and we have never done so.

Hope this helps you! :D

Do I have to bring all of my fathers prscription bottles with me? I keep his pills all in an organizer, but I have heard that you have to have the bottles with you, too.

I don't know where you are traveling from/to but when I have been dealing with US Customs (coming from Canada to U.S.) I have seen them requesting proof of Doctor's prescription for medications such as pills. If there is a customs officer involved in your trip you may want to consider this.

I take way too many pills to bring all the 90 day bottles. My pharmacist gives me a print out of the labels. I put that with my organizer. I have been examined many times. The pills have never been a problem - the walker, the cane, the scooter, my shoes, and whatever else that makes me a screen "star".

I have never needed to keep meds in their original bottle, but I do bring a list of the brand name, dosage and strength with me, in case of emergency.
Same with us.

You will also need that list of meds and dosage if you visit the doctor onboard ship.

It is really frustrating sitting there trying to remember those generic names to fill out the required info, and if the person visiting the doctor is in serious condition, it is near impossible to get the information.

The issue is not with the flight, or the cruise ship. It's Customs that have the requirement that the prescriptions remain in their individual labeled bottles. When you have to clear customs, it's rare that you'll have an agent that inspects every little thing, however you don't want to be delayed by an overzealous customs agent who randomly decided to verify that you are not illegally carrying drugs over international borders.

My husband and I travel very frequently to the US and Europe and we both have many prescription medications with us in our carry-on. We have never been questioned about these medications but we are always ready for proof just in case someone asks. I keep a one week organiser in my purse and the rest in their original prescription bottles. No problems.

This is directly from the TSA site:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/s…

= = = = = = =

All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Atropens, an auto-injection system that can help treat many emergency conditions (low heart rate, breathing problems, and excess saliva related to insecticide, nerve gas or mushroom poisoning) are also allowed.

We do not require that your medications be labeled.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) migraine inhalers and CO2 refills.

Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened.

Medication and related supplies are normally X-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.

We do, however, carry all descriptive copies of our prescription medications (those that come attached with your meds) with us just in case there is any question. We also carry a copy of the above disclaimer for the same reason. Hubby carries these in his pant's pocket as once through the checkpoint, you will not have access to your screened luggage to retrieve the proof of prescription.

Only once did we have to show proof of what was in my hubby's pill container and once we did so, we had no problem. The screener merely said "Thank you - you may proceed". He has each compartment labeled with the medication inside and places it in his carry-on luggage.

Those 90-day supply pill bottles are w-a-y to bulky to pack, and we have never done so.

Hope this helps you! :D

That only relates to getting on aircraft and has nothing to do with entering a country and getting thru customs and immigration. Very different rules apply.

Airport screeners are not customs agents.

and I have one week of pills Sun-Sat pill holders for both of us. I have vitamins & baby aspirin & husband has diabetes meds & vitamins & aspirin.

My husband and I travel very frequently to the US and Europe and we both have many prescription medications with us in our carry-on. We have never been questioned about these medications but we are always ready for proof just in case someone asks. I keep a one week organiser in my purse and the rest in their original prescription bottles. No problems.

From the State Department discussing prescriptions - website:http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...fety_1747.html

"Bring them and any medicines you need in your carry-on luggage.

To avoid problems when passing through customs, keep medicines in their original, labeled containers. Bring copies of your prescriptions and the generic names for the drugs. If a medication is unusual or contains narcotics, carry a letter from your doctor attesting to your need to take the drug. If you have any doubt about the legality of carrying a certain drug into a country, consult the embassy or consulate of that country before you travel."

Either carry the original packaging or a copy of the prescription. It will also help if, god forbid, you end up in the medical center on board and they begin asking questions about your medication (if you're in no shape to answer your travelling companion or even the crew would be able to determine what you were taking).

Last summer I was asked specifically about a 7 day pill container in my purse as I passed through security in Munich transiting to a flight to Prague. It contains my earrings (!) so they just smiled and didn't pursue the matter. I don't know what the next step would have been if I had pills in it. I'm just glad I didn't have to find out -- I made my connection with only 5 minutes to spare as it was!

That only relates to getting on aircraft and has nothing to do with entering a country and getting thru customs and immigration. Very different rules apply.

Airport screeners are not customs agents.

...which is why we bring copies of all our documentation that accompanies each specific medication with us on all trips. We split our meds into two separate compartmentalized containers. One goes in our checked luggage, the other in our carry-on. We've traveled all over Canada, Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, etc.. have and never had a problem. We are on no narcotics or nitroglycerin, or that type medication. Just the usual "old folks" stuff - Type II diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol, hubby takes medication to prevent gout, etc ....

Maybe we've just been lucky, but we have never had customs look at anything in our luggage - ever - in all our travels.

Smooth Sailing always! :)

I don't know where you are traveling from/to but when I have been dealing with US Customs (coming from Canada to U.S.) I have seen them requesting proof of Doctor's prescription for medications such as pills. If there is a customs officer involved in your trip you may want to consider this.

There can be issues with bringing meds from Canada to the USA. Many people in the US buy their meds illegally in Canada due to the lower prices.

I put each of my medications and over-the-counter stuff in little pill bags and mark them. When I get a new prescription filled, I always get a printed summary of the prescription, date, doctor, etc. I bring that with me as it takes up a lot less room than bringing all of the bottles. My drugstore, however, has advised me that I really do need to bring them. I'll take my chances. I can cry and get hysterical with the best of them if they remove my prescriptions.

I know what the TSA website says...

What is on a website and what is real life aren't necessarily the same

Below is a copy and paste from a 2 threads back in March and May 2009 that I made....

We have had some very extensive threads on this very subject over the years

What happens is fantastic information is given

but people that participated in those threads dont have the time to re write EVERYTHING again..

and the information that was provide will help answer your questions

I will provide these links to you

and I IMPLORE YOU to read them and read the entire thread as very important discussions

take place toward the end.

I carry extensive meds throughout my travels on land and sea..

I have been pulled aside domestically and internationally and thoroughly searched spread eagle. I have been asked for documentation

by a licensed doctor for my medicine.

There are MANY MANY MANY reasons not to carry your meds in just a pill box

What if you need a prescription filled...formulations for your meds is not necessarily available on a cruise ship or foreign lands?

What if theres an emergency ...you and your travel partner might not be able to communicate what you take and the dosage?

We covered all of those in the links below and SO MUCH MORE

If you have any further questions after you read them, let me know

and I would be happy to answer them.

This is not a topic that anyone should be dismissive on.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=897177&highlight=

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=917721&highlight=

2nd post in May 2009

I just returned from a land vacation to Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria.

I flew out of SFO, I carry ALL meds in prescription bottles.

I'm in the pain clinic for stage 4 endometriosis. I carry narcotics and OTC meds.

In SFO because of my meds IN PRESCRIPTION BOTTLES no less I was pulled aside, taken to another room and thoroughly searched and patted down spread eagle. Eveything is taken out of my carry on and systematically searched. I have a letter from my doctor explaining my diagnosis and treatment. THAT is the only thing that is my ticket to be dismissed. This has happened countless times domestically and internationally. ONLY in the USA is a woman provided for this search.

That was domestically...going through the Frankfurt airport I was detained on the outbound and return..

taken to another room with 2 men and the door closed behind me.

Before this past trip I wrote about my experiences on a personal travel journal

http://ourpassportstamps.com/carryme...youtravel.html

In the last 5 years it has become worse. I advise my friends, family and anyone who will listen not to and/or STOP taking chances when traveling with meds.

Any underpaid TSA agent does not have the time or inclination to determine in a speedy manner if you have a bottle of unmarked vicodin or vitamins.

Don't assume that ANYONE will show common sense on this topic. You need to be pro active about protecting yourself

from being detained domestically and internationally based on the medicine you carry and use

Between DW and myself, we take ten different pills daily. Israeli medications are dispensed in boxes containing cards of (usually) ten pills each. We take them in their original boxes with the prescription labels stuck on. HOWEVER, the only item on our prescriptions in the Latin alphabet is the Israeli name of the medication. We keep a sheet listing for each med the Israeli name, the Generic name, the American name (where one exists) and the dosage.

Because of the fact that DW travels in a wheelchair, we always are given a personal screening by security and have never had any problems with medications. As for Customs, since we are not big shoppers we go green line and only once, coming back home to Israel, have we been pulled out for inspection.

As I told her before her first trip traveling alone from the US to Israel, there are three different departments with three different interests: security, money, and passports. They don't seem to talk to each other!

I know what the TSA website says...

What is on a website and what is real life aren't necessarily the same

This is the only person that posts that TSA cares about drugs.

If you have lots of pills in the hundreds then you could be stopped at customs in foreign countries. Especially Asia. What they look for are pills that are in vitamin bottles or other over the counter bottles since most drug smuggles use these to put illegal pills in. A large quanity of pills will trigger an investigation.

The TSA has no authority on drugs and has been pointed out there WEB site does not require them to be in original bottles.

As far as carrying prescriptions: if you will need to refill and are afraid of losing your meds and need to refill then carry original prescription with you. Be aware that these will not help much to prove that the meds are yours when going through customs. After all, most are not readable and how does customs know they are not fake?

Don't carry a lot pills.. This is what customs looks for and then could delay you.

I personally have never seen TSA question meds. For thirty years I have carried only the weekly boxes (3 each for myself and 3 for wife and never get stopped).

My wife takes a drug that requires it be keep cool. So it is packed in a insulated little box with the frozen gel (over 3 oz) and TSA has never even looked in the box until this Feb when coming back from Cancun and a Mexican inspector asked to look and he still let us go after a peek inside.

So, there is one poster that had some problems and thinks that TSA agents are stupid and not informed and does not care what TSA posts on there WEB site, but the poster nor anyone else can tell you of anyone stopped by TSA for pills in weekly boxes. They had a TSA agent told them it in nice that you have your pills in bottles.

Bottom line is that if you are taking a cruise from USA port no one will care if you have a one or two weeks supply of meds in the weekly boxes.

If you are the paranoid type then listen to where2next and have all pills in original bottles and carry the original scripts from you doctor and also a list of meds with your doctors name and contact phone number notarized.

Archived