No Room Steward Wanted

LeeKay

They are an extremely honest bunch, and there's a lot of incentive for them to be: if they get fired, for any reason, they can NEVER get hired on any other ship again - not even on a garbage troller. They're banned for life.

But if it really bothers you that much - be sure and tell not only your room steward, but the pursers desk so they can let the stewards manager know, and everybody else - maintenance included. Just keeping the DND sign on the door doesn't work unless they see you at least once a day, eventually they'd do a "wellness" check.

Lydia

We are going on Majesty in June and we would prefer that no one came into our room during are cruise. We are somewhat paranoid about strangers in our room while we are out. I know that is the room stewards job and I'm sure 99% of them are honest hard working people. How would we go about this and would we be hurting anyones feelings by doing this?

There is a safe in your room to which the room steward has no access.

If you use the do not disturb tab the steward is going to knock on your door as soon as you return.

As others have pointed out, paranoia can run both ways.

Since you are so paranoid about the steward or anyone else coming into your cabin when you are not there, I am sure if you talked to him/her, they would be glad to straighten up your room and provide fresh towels/ sheets when you are in the cabin. Just ask.

Thanks for all of your opinions, I think:). We will think about this for a while.

If you are paranoid about someone being in your room when you aren't there why not have one (or both) of you there when they come to make the bed, etc?

You not be hurting anyones feelings for having to do less work, but what you are asking is a little impractical :confused:you can arrange to be in the room while it is cleaned We have a Balcony stateroom and many times I just stay on the Balcony while it is being cleaned. I agree with the others you seem to be expending too much energy on something you really don't need to worry about:)

There are good reasons for them to clean the cabin everyday. One is that it's less work for them to maintain the room than to have to clean up everything after you leave. Second is, the cabin belongs to the ship, you are just renting it for a few days and the steward comes with it. I don't get the not wanting them in the cabin. I love having someone pick up the towels, make the bed, etc. Heck, I want that at home, but I'm not independently wealthy.:)

We're going on our 7th cruise tomorrow and between DH's work travel and our vacations, we've stayed in countless hotel rooms and NEVER had a problem. Nothing stolen, broken, etc.

And, someone actually complained on here that a Steward "apparently" stole a coke and lied about it? It was just a soda, if it happened. So, we're assuming that the poster is always honest too?

Here is my take on this. You do not want anyone in your room while you are not present. You are paranoid to this extent. Just a thought. You do know, even if you do not want anyone in your room to clean, does not mean that the very same people you are afraid of, has a master key, and will still have access to take your things, rummage through your underwear, and maybe even try some things on. What you are asking, only makes their job easier, and prevents absolutely nothing!!!! Unless you plan to post a guard at your door, let them in, let them do their job, and go have some fun!

The original issue makes me wonder if this is a tipping issue in disguise. Read between the lines - “…I won’t have may room cleaned – so I won’t need to tip…” I know the OP did not state that – but it made me wonder if that was the intent Similar to those who post that they eat in other locations and alter or don’t tip the dining staff.

Just a thought.

M

On our last cruise, our cabin steward came in unexpectantly, and saw our safe sitting open. His eyes widened, and he gasped, then he hurried forward and closed the safe. At that point, we weren't too worried.

We've left our safe unlocked by mistake a few times (in the closed position), but never had a problem.

Still, it's a good idea to store your passports, Kindles, cameras (he can probably find much better next door), money, credit cards in the safe.

The original issue makes me wonder if this is a tipping issue in disguise. Read between the lines - “…I won’t have may room cleaned – so I won’t need to tip…” I know the OP did not state that – but it made me wonder if that was the intent Similar to those who post that they eat in other locations and alter or don’t tip the dining staff.

Just a thought.

M

The OP stated pretty early that they would still tip the steward.

Like I said, maybe I'm weird. I guess it's true.

Nah, you're not weird. Most people do NOT change their bath towels every day. That's what a towel rack is for; a place to hang your damp towel, so it dries out for the next day. I'm just thinking how much extra laundry that would be, if everyone in my house used a fresh towel every day! That just seems wasteful.

Nah, you're not weird. Most people do NOT change their bath towels every day. That's what a towel rack is for; a place to hang your damp towel, so it dries out for the next day. I'm just thinking how much extra laundry that would be, if everyone in my house used a fresh towel every day! That just seems wasteful.

I look at it this way, when I come out of the shower, I am clean. How dirty can the towel get?

A lot of people come on this board to complain, but I can't ever recall someone coming on here and saying that they have had anything taken from their room. I think the stewards have too much to do to take the time to go through our stuff, and they also know that if they were to get caught, they'd be thrown off the ship and their careers would be ruined, thus ruining their ability to support their family.

You're not in a cheap motel in Columbus. You're on a cruise ship.

I suppose the Do Not Disturb sign would be your friend. What do you do if you go to a hotel?

Hey, now - Columbus has some mighty fine hotels . . .

WOW, didn't expect this many views on the subject. I know that our tips are their wages, and we do plan to tip the normal amount. We are not hiding anything, we just prefer not to have anyone on our cabin will we are out. I know this is not some cheap hotel. We will probably just have them clean and change the towels etc. while we are still in the room. Thanks for all your input.

We are going on Majesty in June and we would prefer that no one came into our room during are cruise. We are somewhat paranoid about strangers in our room while we are out. I know that is the room stewards job and I'm sure 99% of them are honest hard working people. How would we go about this and would we be hurting anyones feelings by doing this?

We just returned from VOS.....our room steward was Renaldo and he was OUTSTANDING.....wish we could have him on every cruise.

I think your missing out on one of the many great things with cruising. The others are right about the staff, many are supporting their families back home and would not think of doing anything to jeopardize this opportunity. That said I would put your valuables in the safe and let em clean the room. What are they going to take, your used clothes? It's so nice to leave a room and then walk in and it is beautiful and neat again, Love that and they are so fast too. If I want that to happen at my house guess who has to do it!

Many years ago I went on a cruise with a GF and was using the safe but a diamond ring came up missing I totally freaked out and reported it. The cleaning crew found it in their vacuum bag. They explained to me that they number each vacuum bag with the room location and then go thru the bags to see if they sucked up anything of value, then they put it in an envelope and see if someone calls for it. I was shocked to get it back! What we think happened is we put all he jewelry loose in the safe and it got hung up in the folds of one of the wallets and fell to the floor. Since then I have never had any fear of any belonging in the rooms and we use a clear drining glass for the jewelry.

Hey, now - Columbus has some mighty fine hotels . . .

Ok, I picked Columbus b/c I see that OP is from Ohio, and that was the first city that popped in my head. :eek:

I didn't read the thread about the stolen Coke in the minibar. If that's the worst thing that's been reported, then I'm not too worried.

To each their own with how they want their rooms serviced. OP said she's going to still tip. Do what you want. We each vacation differently. I just like having my room made up each day because I'm lazy!

Wow I can't believe how many people have tried to convince the OP to have their room cleaned. The issue is you don't know what a person has been through in the past. That is their choice whether or not they have their room cleaned. Plus even one week is not that long to go without a cleaning. How many people clean their house more than once a week. The trash can be dumped in a recepticle outside the room. I clean everyday! And yes I work 45 to 60 hours a week..But I don't want to live in a dirty house..ICK

With that said I think if you want to not have anyone have access to your room arrange that when you first arrive. You need to do it to ne fair to the room attendant and also let management know it isn't due to the actions of the steward. I would try if the cruise is longer than a few days to see if you cannot exchange your towels at the housekeeping desk.

They could just stay in the room while they are cleaning

I think your missing out on one of the many great things with cruising. The others are right about the staff, many are supporting their families back home and would not think of doing anything to jeopardize this opportunity. That said I would put your valuables in the safe and let em clean the room. What are they going to take, your used clothes? It's so nice to leave a room and then walk in and it is beautiful and neat again, Love that. If I want that to happen at my house guess who has to do it! Many years ago I went on a cruise with a GF and was using the safe but a diamond ring came up missing I totally freaked out and reported it. The cleaning crew found it in their vacuum bag. They explained to me that they number each vacuum bag with the room location and then go thru the bags for this reason to see if they sucked up anything of value, then they put it in an envelope and see if someone calls for it. I was shocked to get it back! What we think happened is we put all he jewelry loose in the safe and it got hung up in the folds of one of the wallets and fell to the floor. Since then I have never had any fear of any belonging in the rooms.

Ok, first, I don't get it but to each his own.

Second, if the OP arranges to not have the steward clean unless they are present, what is to say that some other member of the staff doesn't enter the cabin while they are out? As others have stated, there are a good number of staff members who have passkeys to the cabins. So are you going to stay in your cabin the ENTIRE cruise on the off chance that someone may enter? Seems a bit strange to me. I too love having someone else clean up the bathroom and make the bed. Not that we are slobs or anything, but hey, Momma deserves a break!

hello. i think it may also be a safety issue, unless you manage to see your steward occasionally..?-if there is always a dnd sign, AND they are not to enter..they cannot be sure everyone is safe/healthy/unharmed?..

exactly. I believe there is only a certain amt of time that Do Not Disturb will be respected before they feel it necessary to ensure that you are fine.

I don't get what the hangup is, but you're really screwing with the process. I don't care, so long as you give the guy the tips, but you might consider renting private vacation homes in the future to ensure your complete privacy.

Archived