Master Chef Dinner - Master Disaster

Century2000

We were on the O last week...

Wish I would have realized just how chaotic the MCD would be!

As a Vegan, I pre-order my meal the evening before. Well, even though I had pre-ordered, half our dinner just never arrived, and there were errors in what was delivered. Sigh.

Well, we just went to the Lido afterwards and filled in the empty spots with salad and veggies. Love the asian noodles! :)

Next time (if there is a next time), we'll just plan on NOT doing the MCD.

BTW, Mariner's Brunch wasn't any better. I didn't have a chance to preorder that, and there was quite literally NOTHING for me to eat. I am extremely lactose intolerant, and there wasn't a thing that wasn't swimming in dairy of some sort.

We were on the Eurodam last week too.

Had main seating MDR which was actually very pleasant all week. While I was not overly excited about the MCD, it was not the singing and dancing waiters that bothered me - it was all the 1st time cruisers that were sent upstair from their "as you wish diningroom" who were part of a large group who joined in with the parting and also streamed in very late to the diningroom and gathered and talked to each other at various tables in the MDR. Obviously this was HAL's fault. It really did take away from the MDR experience on the last night.

The MDR was almost empty most of the cruise -- folks either had dinner in their cabin or the lido or somewhere else. Service was at time slow but at least the MDR was quiet and pleasant.

We will avoid the MCD in the future. This was our first experience with it.

We were on the O last week...

BTW, Mariner's Brunch wasn't any better. I didn't have a chance to preorder that, and there was quite literally NOTHING for me to eat. I am extremely lactose intolerant, and there wasn't a thing that wasn't swimming in dairy of some sort.

The spinach was delicious.............and there were bananas and mangos baked inside the strudel.;)

...it was all the 1st time cruisers that were sent upstair from their "as you wish diningroom" who were part of a large group who joined in with the parting and also streamed in very late to the diningroom and gathered and talked to each other at various tables in the MDR. Obviously this was HAL's fault. It really did take away from the MDR experience on the last night.

First time cruisers? Shouldn't be allowed!

we are going to be first time cruisers, we thought that by going with HAL it would be quite civilized and elegant, obviously not, sounds like nothing but a big rabble. if we have as you wish dining can I toss my peanut shells on the floor? :rolleyes:

we certainly will be looking at the Pinnicale or Lido on the last night.

... if we have as you wish dining can I toss my peanut shells on the floor? :rolleyes:
You definitely will have As You Wish Dining. Everyone does, as that term encompasses ALL forms of dining on HAL - Open, Fixed, Pinnacle Grill, Lido, room service, even the Terrace Grill.

we are going to be first time cruisers, we thought that by going with HAL it would be quite civilized and elegant, obviously not, sounds like nothing but a big rabble.

Don't be put off. It is elegant, it is civilised. It isn't a big rabble.

Unfortunately, for some people, myself included, the MCD is a little tacky.

if we have as you wish dining can I toss my peanut shells on the floor?

Probably not, but visit Raffles in Singapore and you can.

we are going to be first time cruisers, we thought that by going with HAL it would be quite civilized and elegant, obviously not, sounds like nothing but a big rabble. if we have as you wish dining can I toss my peanut shells on the floor? :rolleyes:

we certainly will be looking at the Pinnicale or Lido on the last night.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can make your Pinnacle Reservations now.

Don't be put off. It is elegant, it is civilised. It isn't a big rabble.

Unfortunately, for some people, myself included, the MCD is a little tacky.

Probably not, but visit Raffles in Singapore and you can.

It was said, with tounge in cheek, we were very lucky to have morning tea in the MDR on the volendam on tuesday morning and was very impressed with the service and quality of pastries and cookies, we are watching the clock every minute, just five weeks to go

My first (and hopefully last MCD) was tacky, embarrassing for everyone involved and not a good way to end an otherwise wonderful cruise. Those stupid hats....... :mad:

For us too. Left a bad taste in the mouth after a wonderful cruise. Sort of thin expected on Carnival:cool:

Actually it was entertaining and on our cruise virtually the entire dining room was either standing or waiving their napkins. Seemed like everyone enjoyed the festivities. Yes it was unlike Holland but seeing the staff walking down the aisles on every cruise with baked Alaska was becoming boring as an old movie watched to many times.

It may not be a hit with many on this board, but the Westerdam people on 2/14 sure did have a good time.

I just returned from the Mexican cruise on the Oosterdam and thoroughly enjoyed the MCD. The dinner was entertaining and the food was excellent. I enjoyed seeing all the crew that had been "behind the scenes" serving the delicious meals all week and loved their enthusiasm. Ok , so it wasn't Broadway or Las Vegas caliber performances but then, I wasn't in New York or Las Vegas , now was I.!!!

Be prepared, Jade.

We had a Master Chef dinner last night of the cruise on Maasdam, Westerdam and Eurodam in the last 8 months.

For someone who makes very astute comments about cruises and HAL, you are sure stuborn about dinner in the Lido.:) We had very good service, a barman who would point my DW or I to wherever the other was sitting and be there with our drinks before the second one could sit down. As I was unable to get fixed seating, we only went to the MDR with the group from CC, and were less than impressed with the service. Our barman also would let us (or them) know if friends we had been with in the PM on deck were dining in case we would like to dine together.

Of course he's tipped better.:):p:D I wonder why?:confused:

I did not mind it for seeing it for the first time but agree that would have preferred to have more variety for dinner. Will know for the future to avoid it now.

The Baked Alaska there too was not great in comparison to the amazing presentation at the Pinnacle Grill!!

• 2 weeks later...

HAL first timers.

We will be on an Alaskan cruise and our last day coincides with the obligatory Victoria stop (6pm-11:59pm) so I guess we will have to miss both the MCD and the Farewell show if we keep our plans for Butchart Gardens. Maybe we will do an early dinner in the Lido or if the Canaletto is open maybe we will try that. We are already doing the Pinnacle mid-week and I don't know if we would have enough time before our tour. Perhaps room service?:confused:

• 1 month later...
Is the Master Chef Dinner always served on the last night ??? We are on a 7 night Alaska cruise on the Rotterdam next month.

No. On our Hawaii cruise it was night 13 on a 15-day cruise. :) Night 14 was formal, and night 15 was docking in Ensenada for the evening, most likely the reason our MCD was not either of those nights.

Is the Master Chef Dinner always served on the last night ??? We are on a 7 night Alaska cruise on the Rotterdam next month.

The MCD on our May 22nd Alaskan cruise was the next to the last night - after Ketchikan. The servers were really excited about it and we were asked repeatedly if we would be there to see the show. They had a blast and we enjoyed watching them. It did make dinner slow and disjointed. We had to ask three different people for napkins (the ballet dancers missed our table). We ended up having the "show" appetizer and salad - seafood mousse, green salad; and then our server came around and had us order another appetizer and soup/salad from the menu! Dinner was steak and lobster - but the butter for the lobster didn't come out until after the lobster was eaten.

I think everyone should participate in the MCD at least once. Then we would all probably prefer room service...

FYI - food on the boat on the night the ship stops at Victoria is sub-par. We planned on eating at the buffet after we returned from Victoria. The food selection was sparse. It was dried up pizza or shriveled hot dogs, fruit past its prime, basically cleaning out the left overs. I was bummed - it wasn't the way I wanted my last meal on the Rotterdam to be remembered!

The MCD on our May 22nd Alaskan cruise was the next to the last night - after Ketchikan. The servers were really excited about it and we were asked repeatedly if we would be there to see the show. They had a blast and we enjoyed watching them.

FYI - food on the boat on the night the ship stops at Victoria is sub-par. We planned on eating at the buffet after we returned from Victoria. The food selection was sparse. It was dried up pizza or shriveled hot dogs, fruit past its prime, basically cleaning out the left overs. I was bummed - it wasn't the way I wanted my last meal on the Rotterdam to be remembered!

Thank you Fireman for giving me the scoop on *our* cruise! Lot's of food for thought..

I am just wondering, why would they be excited about a show that they have to do over and over, every week? The devil's advocate in me says that they want you to be there for the speech about tips that the captain gives after dinner? :P *runs*

Archived