Airline Cancelled My Flight

footer6

I am on the 6/4 Equinox Sailing from Civitavecchia. I reserved a return flight on Continental for 2:05 pm. Yesterday, I was informed that Continental cancelled my flight, and arbitrarily put me on a 9:50 am flight home on 6/14. I have no idea what time I will be allowed to dismebark on 6/14. The ship gets in at 4 am, but who knows? Has anybody taken a 9:50 am flight?

I do not have an answer to your question, but as the airline cancelled your flight call them back and let them know that this change is not acceptable.

My suggestion is to have them change your departure to the 15th. Stay the night of the 14th at the Airport Hilton and you will be ready for next day's 9:50 flight. This way you will also have an extra full day in Rome.

There's another thread about this changed flight--hope they get together...

when it happened to us, Delta got us on the next day flight & we stayed over at the Marriot--just off the aiport--it worked out fine & we had a great authentic pizza lunch in the town of Fuminico--turn right after exiting the hotel

also a great dinner nearby--If you change let me know I'll get the name of the restaurant. hotel sends you sto their own expensive place but this one is better-- turn left aftre you exit the hotel & downthe block near the polic station.

why stress out!!!

There's another thread about this changed flight--hope they get together...

when it happened to us, Delta got us on the next day flight & we stayed over at the Marriot--just off the aiport--it worked out fine & we had a great authentic pizza lunch in the town of Fuminico--turn right after exiting the hotel

also a great dinner nearby--If you change let me know I'll get the name of the restaurant. hotel sends you sto their own expensive place but this one is better-- turn left aftre you exit the hotel & downthe block near the polic station.

why stress out!!!

I would love to know the name of the restaurant! We are staying at the same Marriott for one night after the Equinox TA, before flying to Vienna, Austria.

Marilyn

Footer,

First call the cruise line (or have your travel agent call) and ask them what time flights can be at the earliest. We are flying home from a cruise this Fall out of Civitavecchia, our ship also docks at 4AM, and we were told not too book any flights before 11:30. Regardless of what time your ship arrives at the dock, the local authorities would have to clear it before disembarkation and I doubt they work at 4 AM!!

Check to see if there are other Continental flights that will work for you. If so, have the flight numbers when you call Continental and tell them which flight you want to be put on. You can also check to see if there are suitable flights on other airlines at a price you are willing to pay. If so, tell Continental to refund your money since this is not the product your purchased. I have been able to get an airline to put me on the flight I requested when in this situation. I also know someone who was able to get a full refund because they could not giver her a flight that would work for her. Good luck.

Civitavecchia is at least an hour from the port. Assuming everything works out perfectly, it's unlikely you'll make a flight that early.

When you call continental, also make sure you have a list of their codeshare partners. Last year Air Canada changed my wife's flight to Scotland and basically said too bad, take it or leave it. We found a Lufthansa flight that connected in Frankfurt which they ultimately moved her to.

I don't know what the US rules are, but I'm pretty sure they will try to accommodate you if you give them options.

Since you are booked through Continental, don't just look for alternative Continental flights. Because Continental is now part of the Star Alliance, you can look for alternative flights on other Star Alliance carriers and they may be willing to book you on them. Look particularly at United and US Air.

Unfortuntely, I've read that there will be more flight changes since they are closing a runway at JFK, and JFK controls the 3 NY area airports.

If you can afford the extra day, I would ask Continental to change your flight to the next day. Then you can enjoy an entire day of touring in Rome and wake up early for you flight the next day. I have stayed over at the disembarkation port several times and found this is a great day. There is so much to do in Rome, you can never run out of things to do. What I would also consider is changing to a late afternoon flight the next day and then you not only get disembarkation day, but the morning of flight day to sightsee. And you still get home in the afternoon.

Be sweet but try not to take no for an answer, tell them you'll work with them but you just can't make the new flight. I've found that works best.

I would love to know the name of the restaurant! We are staying at the same Marriott for one night after the Equinox TA, before flying to Vienna, Austria.

Marilyn

The pizza restaurant for lunch was BRAMBY-- leave hotel parking lot turn right--follow street (there's a sidewalk) as you get into the town of Fiumicino it is on the corner on your left side--just a small pizzeria..but local with great pizza & local prices...they cut it with a scisor & charge by weight..

For dinner, you turn left from hotel parking lot, pass the police staion & there's a street on the right--This is a nice restaurant called De La Ville--Via Remo La Valle They have a nice website http://www.delaville.net We had a nice anniv dinner there before flying out the next day..

Hoe you enjoy your stay...not much else near that hotel... & the in house restaurant is expensive..

As to the main issue--the drive to the aiport from the port is on a good highway but not a short hop by any means...we had a great limo company that was waiting for us right as we got off the ship--whisked us right away...

the airport itself runs slow...lots of check points & I recall going up & down stairs or escalators to get to the actual gate-- maybe even a shuttle--I just can't recall..

I think 9:50 is just too early for comfort..let us know how you make out!

Also beware JFK!!!!--it is not so smooth these days with the runway work-- glad we are using SWAir & a local airport for our next trip!!!!

we are on the same 9:50am flight..we originally booked the 9:50am flight because we wanted to arrive home earlier at Newark. Celebrity's official policy is the earliest flight they will guarantee is 10am. Obviously we miss the cut off by 10 mins. I did speak to a couple different people at Celebrity and they all assured me that I WILL make the 9:50am flight without a problem. I decided to book the transfer from the ship to the airport..in that case, our luggage will be loaded onto the bus and I know I will be among the first passengers off the ship. I honestly do not think it will be a problem to be on the 9:50am flight except that you will have to be up early. We will probably (this is a guess) disembark the ship around 6am-ish..and arrive at the airport by 7:30am - 8am as passengers on the 10am flight, need to arrive at the airport AT LEAST 2 hours prior if not more. I am sure there are going to be plenty of people on our cruise that will be on the 9:50am flight.

Good luck and hope this helps your decision!

I thought Continental only flew to Newark.

Continental flies to all 3 NYC airports, although Newark is their major hub where the majority of their flights are. This flight from Rome is through Newark so the JFK runway being closed will not affect this flight.

we are on the same 9:50am flight..we originally booked the 9:50am flight because we wanted to arrive home earlier at Newark. Celebrity's official policy is the earliest flight they will guarantee is 10am. Obviously we miss the cut off by 10 mins. I did speak to a couple different people at Celebrity and they all assured me that I WILL make the 9:50am flight without a problem. I decided to book the transfer from the ship to the airport..in that case, our luggage will be loaded onto the bus and I know I will be among the first passengers off the ship. I honestly do not think it will be a problem to be on the 9:50am flight except that you will have to be up early. We will probably (this is a guess) disembark the ship around 6am-ish..and arrive at the airport by 7:30am - 8am as passengers on the 10am flight, need to arrive at the airport AT LEAST 2 hours prior if not more. I am sure there are going to be plenty of people on our cruise that will be on the 9:50am flight.

We took private transport from the port to FCO. I've heard horror stories from people who have taken the Celebrity transfer from looting of luggage to delays because the bus won't leave until it is full.

I would recommend you look into it. There are many reliable companies out there that are as cheap if not cheaper than the Celebrity transfer.

Nothwithstanding this advice from an equally concerned & affected traveller.........I'd go with a private service devoted to getting you where you need to go...You you will get off early with the bus, but they will wait for everyone who booked it & then deliver them all... we were once delayed quite a while b/c one lady's luggage was lost.. i wouldn't take that chance...

Again odds are that you'll make it but why worry...

also check--there are minimum check in required times by the airport security itself & the specific airline--if you miss the cut off it is NEVER waived.... the security people in Rome are efficient but not very warm & fuzzy!!!

If you do decide to go for an early flight - You may also want to take off your own luggage, my husband and I do that now after an experience where one piece of our luggage was not in the appropriate section of the pick-up area. We vertually had to wait until everyone else was off the ship before we found it.:mad:

If you do decide to go for an early flight - You may also want to take off your own luggage, my husband and I do that now after an experience where one piece of our luggage was not in the appropriate section of the pick-up area. We vertually had to wait until everyone else was off the ship before we found it.:mad:

thats a good tip. you never know where your luggage will end up! Thanks.

I appreciate the advice. I thought about using Rome Cabs for the transfer having used them before in Rome. I just want to make sure im first off the ship. But maybe a private transfer will be quicker and easier.

We used Rome cabs--you can e-mail Stefano & explain your tight time siituation. We used them pre cruise to our hotel in CV & post cruise to the airport hotel

He gave us a great driver who was the very first on line to pick us up---excellent all the way!!!

Great advice--- walk off, private driver--should be Ok if nothing goes wrong beyond your control!!!

I see where Stefano has another company, now.

StefanoRomeTours is the sister company to the famous Romecabs Company, known throughout Italy and the surrounding areas as the tour and transfer company that tops all others! Stefano Costantini and all of his professional associates were born and raised in Italy and continue to call this beautiful country their home. Each of the drivers comes from Romecabs, which has a reputation second to none in Rome. They are legends in this field and travelers are constantly asking for them by name.

I do not have an answer to your question, but as the airline cancelled your flight call them back and let them know that this change is not acceptable.

My suggestion is to have them change your departure to the 15th. Stay the night of the 14th at the Airport Hilton and you will be ready for next day's 9:50 flight. This way you will also have an extra full day in Rome.

I wouldn't want to have to stay an extra day in Rome just because Continental decided to cancel my flight. What if you didn't have the extra vacation day? And who pays for the extra night in a hotel, lunch, dinner, etc.? I doubt Continental would foot the bill.

I called Celebrity since we are also taking an 11 AM flight out of FCO in July. 10 am is the standard answer that Celebrity gives. I think you should be ok, but I think it would cause a lot of stress. I'm feeling stressed already about 11 am, but I've been assured that we should be ok.

I think the suggestion to look at all the codeshare partners is the best solution. Our flight at 11:10 am is a United flight, now a Continental partner. There was also a 2 pmish flight also on United that would be option as well. I'm sure that Continental would make the switch for you if they do not have a later flight in the afternoon. Good luck!

Archived