Rome in 24 hours

zeppysky

We are cruising on the Celebrity Equinox on June 4, we will be coming in the night before and arriving around 9:00 a.m. on the 3rd. We will stay in Rome (no reservation yet), we wanted to do the Sistine Chapel (don't have time to see the other Vatican museums there), plus the Parthenon and the Colosseum of course. Then I have a 22 year old who will want to do some shopping as well.

So we will have the day/evening (we are planning on Ambien on the overnight flight so we can be fairly well rested.

We would have to leave for the ship around 11:00 a.m. on the 4th to get to the ship and checked in by 3:00 p.m. Any suggestions on how to go about scheduling our time in Rome?

Also we welcome any hotel/restaurant suggestions.

You need to keep in mind that the Sistine Chapel is part of the so-called Vatican Museum tour (you can do this on your own). You actually walk through a lot of the vatican before you even get to the Sistine Chapel which is at the end of the self-guided tour.

Hank

we wanted to do the Sistine Chapel (don't have time to see the other Vatican museums there), plus the Parthenon and the Colosseum of course. Then I have a 22 year old who will want to do some shopping as well.

We would have to leave for the ship around 11:00 a.m. on the 4th to get to the ship and checked in by 3:00 p.m. Any suggestions on how to go about scheduling our time in Rome?

Hank has already explained the issue with the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel. It helps to make a reservation, which you can do on the Vatican's web site: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

The Parthenon would be a long trip ... I'm sure you meant the Pantheon.

I would leave the Colosseum until the next morning, then be there as soon as they open. Therefore, I'd look for a hotel near the Colosseum so you can leave your luggage there while you tour, then go back and collect it before you head to Civitavecchia.

We are cruising on the Celebrity Equinox on June 4, we will be coming in the night before and arriving around 9:00 a.m. on the 3rd. We will stay in Rome (no reservation yet), we wanted to do the Sistine Chapel (don't have time to see the other Vatican museums there), plus the Parthenon and the Colosseum of course. Then I have a 22 year old who will want to do some shopping as well.

So we will have the day/evening (we are planning on Ambien on the overnight flight so we can be fairly well rested.

zeppysky,

We are actually doing something very similar for Equinox's May 14th sailing. We arrive around 8:00 am on the 13th and have a private tour guide arranged to meet us at our hotel at 1:00 pm to take us on a tour of "ancient" Rome (Colosseum, Palatine Hill, the Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain), and according to him we should be done around 6:00 pm.

We are visiting the Vatican the next morning. You can get admission tickets for 8:00 am entry online through the Vatican's ticket office for a do-it-yourself tour. My wife has been there before and strongly recommends a tour guide, so we actually found a service that conducts a 3 hour tour starting at 8:10 am that includes the Vatican museums, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's. Unfortunately, it is more expensive than the other tours that typically start around 9 or 10, but we wanted to get in and get out so we could get to the port at a decent time.

We have scheduled our shuttle service to pick us up at 12:00, so we should hopefully get to the port no later than 2:00 (my understanding is that the port is an hour and 30 minutes by car).

This itinerary does not allow much time for shopping (except maybe the evening you arrive if you still have the energy), but should hopefully give you some ideas for what you can fit in.

The other posters have given good ideas. It's best to separate the ancient sites (Colosseum/Forum/Pantheon) from the Vatican and do one on the afternoon you arrive, the other in the morning before you go to the port.

You really have no need to leave Rome at 11am to be in Civitavecchia by 3pm! I know it's tempting to want to get to the ship and get settled, but Rome deserves more time.

If you are primarily interested in the Sistine chapel (not sure why this is the "holy Grail" for so many travelers who have little interest in the rest of the museum), then you really do not need a guided tour. Just do the following:

1) Download Rick Steves' free mp3 "tour" of the Sistine chapel.

2) Pre-reserve tickets for your selected time.

3) Once inside the museum, just follow the signs to the Sistine chapel (about 20 minute or longer walk from the museum entrance).

4) When you reach the Sistine, turn on the mp3 and enjoy.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to all of your for your great info, we are doing the following and will post when we return.

After checking into hotel and grabbing a bite for lunch, going to Sistine Chapel (walking staying near Piazza Navona), will use the Rick Steves MP3 guide, duck in the the "tour" door to see the rest of the area.

After walk across the pedestrian bridge back to hotel, freshen up, meet for dinner near the Piazza Navona) walk towards Trevi Fountain to see in the dark, stopping by a few points of interest (Pantheon) on the way.

Sleep, wake up early, set out (metro) for Collessum, get tickets when they open, then see The Forum, around 3.5 hours, then head back to hotel to get our transport to the ship around 1:00 p.m.

Hopefully nothing here is out of line timewise but please chime in if you see an issue here.

Unless you are planning on having a guide, 3.5 hours is a LONG time for the Colosseum/Forum. The Forum is basically ruins, and if you don't know what you're seeing it won't take long. You can walk around inside and outside the Colosseum, and last year there was a nice art display in the upper corridor, but without someone to explain all the details it won't taker you very long. If you want to get the most out of your time, I highly recommend hiring a guide. Cruisemom has info on some good walking tours, or you can hire a guide when you get there.

Cathy

Sleep, wake up early, set out (metro) for Collessum, get tickets when they open, then see The Forum, around 3.5 hours, then head back to hotel to get our transport to the ship around 1:00 p.m.

I think it makes sense to allow 3.5 hours for the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine. You lost me with the transportation mode, however. You said that your hotel is near Piazza Navona, yes? If so, there's really no metro option for getting to the Colosseum.

The best transit option is the #87 bus, which you can pick up either on Corso Rinascimento or Corso Vitorrio Emaneule II, and get off at the Colosseum.

Unless you are planning on having a guide, 3.5 hours is a LONG time for the Colosseum/Forum. The Forum is basically ruins, and if you don't know what you're seeing it won't take long. You can walk around inside and outside the Colosseum, and last year there was a nice art display in the upper corridor, but without someone to explain all the details it won't taker you very long. If you want to get the most out of your time, I highly recommend hiring a guide. Cruisemom has info on some good walking tours, or you can hire a guide when you get there.

Cathy

Don't get me started -- I could spend 3.5 hours in the Forum alone. :D

Zeppysky: Rick Steves also has a free podcast/audiotour for the Colosseum and perhaps one for the Forum as well. You might want to check it out. If you do want info on guides, just post and I'll be happy to provide.

Thanks to all of your for your great info, we are doing the following and will post when we return.

After checking into hotel and grabbing a bite for lunch, going to Sistine Chapel (walking staying near Piazza Navona), will use the Rick Steves MP3 guide, duck in the the "tour" door to see the rest of the area.

After walk across the pedestrian bridge back to hotel, freshen up, meet for dinner near the Piazza Navona) walk towards Trevi Fountain to see in the dark, stopping by a few points of interest (Pantheon) on the way.

Hopefully nothing here is out of line timewise but please chime in if you see an issue here.

What hotel did you choose?

We did something similar. We were able to go check into our hotel and freshen up. Then we had a reservation for the Sistene chapel/tour (included the Vatican, Papal apartments, St. Peter's). We saw the Colisseum and Forum as well as Caesar's palace (we went in the evening and were one of the last groups allowed in, there were no lines at this time though). We walked around a bit, saw the Trevi fountain and were back at our hotel by 7 pm. We were exhausted and fell asleep without eating dinner. It is a rushed day, we wished we had more time, but you can see a lot in one day.

We had a wonderful breakfast on our terrace in the morning before heading to Civitavecchia. We stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria Rome Cavalieri.

Laura

Don't get me started -- I could spend 3.5 hours in the Forum alone. :D

Zeppysky: Rick Steves also has a free podcast/audiotour for the Colosseum and perhaps one for the Forum as well. You might want to check it out. If you do want info on guides, just post and I'll be happy to provide.

Cynthia, can you let me know where to find his "guides", are they are Itunes?

I am wondering what is 'Caesar's Palace'? Did I miss something?

I was thinking the same thing. There isn't much standing from the BC years, mostly ruins. Perhaps he's refering to the Area Sacra dell' Argentina, the site where Caesar is said to have been murdered?

Edited to add:

No, it couldn't have been that, I went back and re-read his post and he said he went in to this palace. Perhaps he has his dictators confused?

They ARE on iTunes, but I am wondering what is 'Caesar's Palace'? Did I miss something?

I was thinking the same thing. There isn't much standing from the BC years, mostly ruins. Perhaps he's refering to the Area Sacra dell' Argentina, the site where Caesar is said to have been murdered?

Edited to add:

No, it couldn't have been that, I went back and re-read his post and he said he went in to this palace. Perhaps he has his dictators confused?

I think the poster means Palatine Hill (yes, there were palaces there; not necessarily Caesar's, but then again all the Roman emperors were Caesars, were they not?

Then again, maybe he or she means the Domus Aurea.

Bermuda Triangle, do come back and tell us!

I think the poster means Palatine Hill (yes, there were palaces there; not necessarily Caesar's, but then again all the Roman emperors were Caesars, were they not?

I think Cynthia has hit on it. The House of Livia, on Palatine, can still be entered and was the home of Augustus, sometimes known as Caesar Augustus.

I highly recommend the Rick Steves tours.

If you have a MP3 player (non-iPOD), download from the Rick Steves website. If you have an iPOD, download from iTunes.

If you are reading this and going to Venice, the Venice Grand Canal Tour is almost perfectly timed to the express "bus".

Archived