TravelGuard comes through again! (and other insurance thoughts)

sirwired

I am very lucky that TravelGuard doesn't look up your claims history before selling you a policy, because I'm 2-for-2 filing a claim for my Princess cruise bookings.

I first had to cancel my cruise because my father needed an emergency triple-bypass. One phone call, a 20-something page fax full of all the credit card statements and a pile of medical records, three weeks, and I got a check. The cost of the policy was priceless compared to helping my parents not feel the least but guilty about canceling our cruise.

On the re-scheduled trip, weather in NC caused us to get stuck in Florida for a couple of days. While our costs due to the delay only ended up being $500 or so, it was wonderful to be able to call TG up and just say "fix this" instead of having to make last-minute travel re-arrangements on my own from the airport terminal. If not for them, would would have gotten home a day later (the TG agent spotted an earlier flight than the SouthWest agent did.)

After getting home, I sent off a 32-page fax with a four page monologue (it was a complex claim) and page after page of receipts. None of the documentation requested was out-of-line or "busywork." The only problem with the process was that my claim was "stuck" in some kind of half-processed state (you can monitor the process online), and it took a couple of phone calls to prod them into finishing it.

Nevertheless, for neither claim did I have any problems with denials or requests for silly documentation.

Thoughts on the claims process: The best advice I can give is to submit anything and everything you think might help with your claim. With my first claim, my Dad's doctor's office sent over his entire medical file upon our request, and I sorted through it to find the really useful bits and then I circled the really important parts (like the statement recommending surgery be performed without delay) and sent it in. The only "required" documentation is a one-page form TG sends out, but they also welcome any supplementary documentation you might have.

For my second claim, I included four pages of commentary explaining each part of the complex claim, why I was filing what I sent, and I even added everything up for them. The overall trick I think is to make sure you answer any questions they might have before they think to ask them.

Thoughts on Princess vs. Third Party: This is a tough one, but overall I'm going to stick with 3rd-party insurance except maybe with some future cruise to Europe, Alaska or similar 100% developed country itinerary. Why? One primary reason: the Princess medevac coverage is a joke. You aren't getting evacuated anywhere for $25k or $50k (depending on policy.) However, the "cancel for any reason" cruise credit with the Princess policy is nice, and much cheaper than a similar rider on a 3rd-party policy.

Thoughts on travel insurance overall: On a completely rational basis, I only really need medical coverage. (No traveler should be without it.) One important thing to remember is that if you need medevac for a deadly condition, and you can't come up with the cash to pay for it, you are simply going to die. The medevac companies require some evidence you can pay before they will dispatch an aircraft. The U.S embassy won't be able to convince them to haul you for free, and neither will the cruise line. When traveling to Western Europe, I don't even need that, as my regular policy covers me abroad, even though it doesn't cover international medevac. Medical-only travel insurance for me appears to price out at about 1/3rd the price of a full policy from TG or others.

Why do I choose the comprehensive policy? Financially, I can completely absorb the cost of a canceled vacation. Losing my $1500 cruise fare the first time around or paying $500 in emergency expenses the second time would have not been a catastrophe. If you can absorb losing your vacation, certainly consider a med-only policy for the vast cost savings.

However, psychologically, it is a great help to know that if your vacation needs to be canceled or interrupted, you have to worry far less about the financial consequences of doing so. I know my parents would have felt terrible if we had to flush $1500 down the toilet when helping them out for my Dad's surgery.

Does this make financial sense? No, not really. I know that TG certainly operates at a profit, and overall, a lifetime of travel policies will likely never fully pay off. I've booked many trips over the years, paid for many policies, and only needed to use the insurance four times, and only two of which involved a payout. (One time I needed some quick medical advice, and another time the credit card paid out (cruise line BK) before TG needed to.) Overall, I am probably a "ahead" for premiums vs. claims, but I also recognize that that is quite rare.

Insurance is always something of a "gamble" and if you look at travel insurance (or any insurance of any kind for that matter) as an "investment", you will almost invariably lose. Insurance companies are not morons, and they have legions of highly-paid actuaries to ensure that on average, the policy holders pay in more than they get out. There is nothing evil or sinister about this; they are a profit-seeking company. (Not necessarily profit-making... TG's parent is AIG, a fact they no longer advertise. :)) When you are buying insurance, make no mistake, you are buying nothing more than risk reduction, and the peace of mind that comes with that. Only you can decide what kinds of risks you are willing to take, and what it's worth to you to avoid them.

SirWired

I have never made a claim but I am wild about Travel Guard Gold (with the cancel for work reasons allowed benefit). I have used them a few times and won't leave home without it. It sounds like they really took great care of you and it makes me glad to have my TG gold in place for my upcoming cruise. I like that it covers my airfare and hotel and all!

We have never used travel insurance that we've bought, but we still buy it everytime. I agree that the small cost of travel insurance takes a huge burden over stressing about the money aspect of if something were to happen on your trip. I'm glad to hear that your two experiences both seemed to be reletively painless in regards to getting the insurance to reimburse you.

Excellent recap.

The only factor you omitted that may have a bearing on choice of coverage is age.

The Princess insurance is one of the few that has absolutely no premium penalty for age.

Regular travel insurance coverage prices at an advanced age can be pretty daunting.

but then I am 60 & the rate skyrockets. So Princess insurance will win, with no bad weather worries since Berkley is ACT OF GOD exempt as folks learned with S America & the earthquake in Chili. So we will sail 1-2 days ahead of time just in case. If we can get E Coast cruise I will drive.

When traveling to Western Europe, I don't even need that, as my regular policy covers me abroad, even though it doesn't cover international medevac.

SirWired

Very helpful observations SirWired...........Our medical plan covers medevac, but to have extra peace of mind we have an additional plan for evacuation with Air Ambulance at the family rate of $299.00/year. Since we take at least three cruises, most lasting about 30 days, it is money well spent. This is not an insurance plan where you will be reimbursed, but a membership plan where the decision for transport is made by their Medical Director after consultation with the attending physician. Let's hope we never have to use it..................................

but then I am 60 & the rate skyrockets. So Princess insurance will win, with no bad weather worries since Berkley is ACT OF GOD exempt as folks learned with S America & the earthquake in Chili. So we will sail 1-2 days ahead of time just in case. If we can get E Coast cruise I will drive.

Cost comparison $1500 cruise

Travel Guard Gold ages 35-59 ... $71

Travel Guard Gold ages 60-69 ... $95

Princess Travel Protection any age ... $120

I love travelguard and have used them for about the last 15 years on most of our trips. Never had any problems with claims. Especially travel delays, lost luggage. But, sometimes on expensive cruises and with older individuals, Princess is just cheaper. For families they should look at travel guard since they do not charge for children traveling with parents.

The one advantage Princess Insurance has is that if you have to cancel your cruise BEFORE final payment the price of the insurance is refundable.

With the insurance I buy with my agent (Access America) - I can buy it at final payment and it covers pre-existing conditions.

Princess's insurance's medical coverage is extremely limited. I would hate to have something serious happen and had that has my only coverage.

Thoughts on travel insurance overall: On a completely rational basis, I only really need medical coverage. (No traveler should be without it.) One important thing to remember is that if you need medevac for a deadly condition, and you can't come up with the cash to pay for it, you are simply going to die. The medevac companies require some evidence you can pay before they will dispatch an aircraft. The U.S embassy won't be able to convince them to haul you for free, and neither will the cruise line. When traveling to Western Europe, I don't even need that, as my regular policy covers me abroad, even though it doesn't cover international medevac. Medical-only travel insurance for me appears to price out at about 1/3rd the price of a full policy from TG or others.
Thank you for your thoughts. They are excellent. Last summer, I convinced my brother-in-law to get MedJetAssist medevac coverage. We travel a lot, often far from home, several times a year so the $250/year for my sister and brother-in-law made sense. When we were in FL last January and February with him so very ill, MetJetAssist had everything arranged within four hours of contacting them to fly him from FL to CA as soon as a bed opened up at our hospital near home. The relief was a godsend. It's obviously not for everyone but for us, I can't tell you how much of a difference it made, not only financially but also for peace of mind.

Just wondering in the UK what do you consider the best insurance and one that covers pre existing medical conditions, also is there a UK insurer that would cover cancellation.

Any info appreciated

Just wondering in the UK what do you consider the best insurance and one that covers pre existing medical conditions, also is there a UK insurer that would cover cancellation.

Any info appreciated

I have taken a policy out with Age Concern because of my husbands previous ill health and he has developed a bit of blood pressure problems. You dont have to be a pensioner. Check them out for an instant quote or phone them. (It also covers "catastrophe" which is for natural disasters etc and heaps of other cancellation problems if you want it)

http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConcern/medical-condition-travel-insurance.asp

I love travelguard and have used them for about the last 15 years on most of our trips. Never had any problems with claims. Especially travel delays, lost luggage. But, sometimes on expensive cruises and with older individuals, Princess is just cheaper. For families they should look at travel guard since they do not charge for children traveling with parents.

Just got the Travel Guard Gold pkg for our upcoming cruise.

A family of 4...total cost $130!

I was very pleased with this price. There was no charge for the kids to be covered.

We almost didn't get it, but decided it was a small price to pay for some peace of mind. You just never know....

weather is covered. Blizzard, tornado & the airlines who cancel flights without moving you to another. TravelGuard gets you on another flight when you contact them. If you cannot get to embarkation, they will get you booked to the next port & pay hotel if the ship doesn't show for 2 days including meals.

We booked a week at sea & then Spainish ports, so we got 100% cashback for air & cruise since half our cruise was not used & we decided to turn down flying to Spain to catch the cruise.

I have taken a policy out with Age Concern because of my husbands previous ill health and he has developed a bit of blood pressure problems. You dont have to be a pensioner. Check them out for an instant quote or phone them. (It also covers "catastrophe" which is for natural disasters etc and heaps of other cancellation problems if you want it)

http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConcern/medical-condition-travel-insurance.asp

Thank you so much Pochahontas I will definitely give them a ring.

Archived