New Class of Ships For Royal Caribbean?

I was on hold with C&A today listening to the Nation of Why Not recording and they I think they said something about a soon-to-be seventh class of ships for Royal Caribbean? I called back to listen to it again but I got right through to a representative. Has anyone else heard this? :confused:

I was on hold with C&A today listening to the Nation of Why Not recording and they I think they said something about a soon-to-be seventh class of ships for Royal Caribbean? I called back to listen to it again but I got right through to a representative. Has anyone else heard this? :confused:

They recorded that when Empress of the Seas was still in the fleet, so Royal's fleet included 6 classes: Empress, Sovereign, Vision, Radiance, Voyager, & Freedom Class. The 7th class is the Oasis Class, but since Empress was moved to Pullmantur, Oasis is the 6th and newest class of ships.

Hope this helps :)

They recorded that when Empress of the Seas was still in the fleet, so Royal's fleet included 6 classes: Empress, Sovereign, Vision, Radiance, Voyager, & Freedom Class. The 7th class is the Oasis Class, but since Empress was moved to Pullmantur, Oasis is the 6th and newest class of ships.

Hope this helps :)

I would have thought they would have changed the recording, since the Empress has been retired from the fleet since 2008.

I would have thought they would have changed the recording, since the Empress has been retired from the fleet since 2008.

One might well think so, but you shouldn't be surprised that they haven't. Updating or correcting their information doesn't often have the priority you might expect.

At this time there are no known plans to build anymore ships of whatever class. Perhaps if the economy continues to improve and higher pricing begins to take hold, this situation might change, but I wouldn't expect any new ships entering the fleet before 2013-14 or later.

One might well think so, but you shouldn't be surprised that they haven't. Updating or correcting their information doesn't often have the priority you might expect.

Yes, you are right. Give me three minutes and a microphone, and I'll fix the recorded message. VERY high-tech and time-consuming.

Poor overworked Royal Caribbean.

:rolleyes:

At this time there are no known plans to build anymore ships of whatever class. Perhaps if the economy continues to improve and higher pricing begins to take hold, this situation might change, but I wouldn't expect any new ships entering the fleet before 2013-14 or later.

When the economy gets better and they start ordering ships, what class of ships do you think they will order??

Radiance, Freedom, Oasis, or a new class.

When the economy gets better and they start ordering ships, what class of ships do you think they will order??

Radiance, Freedom, Oasis, or a new class.

Something with a Top ove one of the Pools.....Radiance Class with a better shopping area I hope.....something like the Monarch would be great!

Mike

On Serenade at the M&M, the CD told us about a new class of ship - Marco Polo was the working name he used - and that it would be between Radiance and Voyager in terms of size. No other details than that.

We also heard at an M&M on the Serenade the new class would be able to do Alaska. Now Radiance can do it and Panama and apparantly they want another that can do some smaller areas. We got that from the captain also. Time will tell.

We also heard at an M&M on the Serenade the new class would be able to do Alaska. Now Radiance can do it and Panama and apparantly they want another that can do some smaller areas. We got that from the captain also. Time will tell.

OK - then I wasn't hallucinating, you heard it too. Makes far more sense to have future plans for a new ship than to think Royal hasn't updated a phone recording in 3 years.

OK - then I wasn't hallucinating, you heard it too. Makes far more sense to have future plans for a new ship than to think Royal hasn't updated a phone recording in 3 years.
Just because someone heard something at a M&M doesn't mean they haven't updated their recording in three years. In fact, it's quite likely they haven't. The first official place you're going to hear about a new class of ship is not likely to be from a on-hold phone recording.

Just because someone heard something at a M&M doesn't mean they haven't updated their recording in three years. In fact, it's quite likely they haven't. The first official place you're going to hear about a new class of ship is not likely to be from a on-hold phone recording.

I agree that an official statement doesn't come from a phone recording, but Empress went to Pullmantur before March of 08 and the Why Not Campaign didn't start til around Oct/Nov of 08, which is why I doubt it is a recording from before Empress left. If RCI wanted a new ship launch option in '13 or '14, it would have to be in planning stages now, don't you think?

Oh boy - from the captain no less and we all know how reliable he is as a source of information about the line's future plans. :rolleyes: Captains do an excellent job of commanding their ships but with the possible exception of Capt. Bill Wright, they don't spend a lot of time roaming the halls of the executive offices or in the conference rooms where discussions about future builds or deployment schedules are held. The very popular Captain Johnny is famous for his definitive announcement that the Mariner would never leave Florida.

I'd rather believe the president of the line or the chairman of the board, both of whom have time and time again stated that there are no plans to build more ships smaller than Voyager or Freedom because the numbers just do not justify their construction. That does not mean that I would not like to see more such ships but it does mean that I accept the fact that they are the ones responsible for making decisions about operating the line and making a profit for the company and its shareholders.

The time required to design a new class of ship, bid out a contract for its construction, and actually build such a vessel makes even a 2014 time frame exceptionally ambitious and perhaps quite unrealistic. Until then I would certainly question any intelligence gained by listening to a telephone message played while I was on hold.

Yes, you are right. Give me three minutes and a microphone, and I'll fix the recorded message. VERY high-tech and time-consuming.

Poor overworked Royal Caribbean.

:rolleyes:

For years, and possibly still as I have not checked, RCI's website said that Voyager class ships had glass covered solariums. They didn't seem to feel any need to correct the information.

There were times when I would post contrary, and the correct, information to a thread on this site only to be told that I didn't know what I was talking about. I just love being told that I don't know what I'm talking about by someone who has, obviously, never stepped for on a Voyager class ship!:)

Oh boy - from the captain no less and we all know how reliable he is as a source of information about the line's future plans. :rolleyes: Captains do an excellent job of commanding their ships but with the possible exception of Capt. Bill Wright, they don't spend a lot of time roaming the halls of the executive offices or in the conference rooms where discussions about future builds or deployment schedules are held. The very popular Captain Johnny is famous for his definitive announcement that the Mariner would never leave Florida.

I'd rather believe the president of the line or the chairman of the board, both of whom have time and time again stated that there are no plans to build more ships smaller than Voyager or Freedom because the numbers just do not justify their construction. That does not mean that I would not like to see more such ships but it does mean that I accept the fact that they are the ones responsible for making decisions about operating the line and making a profit for the company and its shareholders.

The time required to design a new class of ship, bid out a contract for its construction, and actually build such a vessel makes even a 2014 time frame exceptionally ambitious and perhaps quite unrealistic. Until then I would certainly question any intelligence gained by listening to a telephone message played while I was on hold.

Now you've gone and done it. The Capt. Johnny fan club will be after you!:D

Now you've gone and done it. The Capt. Johnny fan club will be after you!:D

I know, but some people just can't handle the truth.:D The Cult of Personality is alive and kicking.;)

I've also said frequently, to no avail, that RCI really needs to hire some proof readers before releasing their brochures. Doing so would help eliminate so many of the problems that were of their own making (remember the junior suite access to the concierge lounges controversy that raged on the boards just a few years ago)?:rolleyes:

I'd be interested to hear a marketing campaign for a new Royal class, especially going smaller ... right now they are trying to push that only bigger can be better.

I'm sure it would be easy to come up with such a marketing campaign but until the bean counters can be convinced that such a class of ship would make good financial sense, it is unlikely that we will see such a campaign. They are pushing the idea that "only bigger can be better" because of the economies and efficiencies and profitability that such large ships offer. Until those factors change don't expect to see anything smaller. Those who want to sail on smaller ships will have to be content to sail on other lines and pay higher prices.

From what we were told on the Serenade, the Marco Polo class is around 110,000 tons and would be like a Radiance class ship with a prominade. I got the impression that it was on the drawing boards, but with no activity due to the economy.

One thing to remember is that Royal can now expand th width of the Radiance Class Design (Like the Solstice), bc in 2013, the Panama Canal Expansion will be opening and that means the Oasis, Freedom & Voyager class will be able to go through the canal.
I see the max beam for Oasis is listed as 184.25 feet, 4.25 feet wider than the new locks. I wonder where that was measured at and what the Canal might put for structures along the lock.

One thing to remember is that Royal can now expand th width of the Radiance Class Design (Like the Solstice), bc in 2013, the Panama Canal Expansion will be opening and that means the Oasis, Freedom & Voyager class will be able to go through the canal.
I wonder if Voyager and Freedom class will be able to go through the canal.

This probably obsolete but RCI did have an option with the STX shipyard in Turku for a 4th Freedom class but it has probably expired long ago. After Allure is finished, the Turku yard does not have any RCI ships to build.

There were times when I would post contrary, and the correct, information to a thread on this site only to be told that I didn't know what I was talking about. :)

Kind of like what is going on in this thread. Two posters who heard similar information on board a ship from representatives of the company give information on a possible new class (Marco Polo) and other posters tell them they are wrong. And they tell them this based on what? Too funny.

Archived