Uffizi Gallery vs. Accademia Gallery

DrivesLikeMario

More impressive than the Louvre? More impressive than over 5,000 years worth of art?

I like the Musee d'Orsay, but it covers such a narrow spectrum of human artistic achievement. Give me the Louvre any day!

I love the Musee d'Orsay because it is so tangible! The Louvre is overwhelming, gigantic and confusing. The Musee D'Orsay is organized better IMO and is not so head-spinning as the Louvre. I knew that comment would get somebody's dander up. LOL :D

Okay, just ordered tickets for the 8 of us to BOTH museums. Thanks everyone for the help - I really appreciate it! ;)

Just thinking about the Musee d"Orsay makes me smile. We are huge fans of the French Impressionists and that museum is close to the holy grail.

I feel SO old, I still have my guide book from back when this collection was housed at the Jeu de Pomme (spelling?).

I have looked at this post several times today trying to figure out what to recommend. Truthfully, I've not been to Florence on a cruise ship (only land trips) so it's really hard to recommend. I love the Uffizi -- it's one of my favorite museums (and I'm a museum hound). But if you haven't been to Florence before and you're only there for a short part of a day, I think regretfully I'd say skip the Uffizi and see David. Spend some time wandering Florence.

Then plan to come back and stay for a week or so. ;)

We're taking the opposite approach when we're in port in November. We're actually not going to Florence at all and exactly for the reason that Cruisemom posted above - we just don't think that we are even going to be able to scratch the surface of Florence in the 6 or so hours that we'd have (after you deduct the transit to and from the port at Livorno).

We're planning on driving in to the countryside and doing some wine tasting and perhaps hitting a smaller city like Siena or several villages.

Florence IMO should be done as part of a longer land trip, not as a hit-and-run.

That being said, my choice would be the Uffizi, hands down. I love art, but I'm not a big appreciator of sculpture, so while seeing David is not an opportunity I'd turn down, seeing the Titians, the Primavera and Venus and Artemisia Gentilesci's Judith and Holofernes would be more meaningful to me.

We share your love of the Musee D'Orsay (one of our favorites in the world) and also the Getty. Compared to these museums the Academia (with the exception of David) and the Ufizzi might put you to sleep with its very dark dreary art (sorry if we are insulting lovers of this type of art). Keep in mind that the entire city of Florence is like one large museum and walking the streets is a fantastic experience (its why so many of us go back again and again and again). And of course there is the gelato. As great as tis he art in the Uffizzi and Academia, to go to Florence without seeing Florence (this is the part that is outside all the museums) is, in our humble opinion, a crime. But, we do understand everyone has their own priorities.

Hank

We kinda felt the same way about the Prado. By the time we got to Madrid, we'd been to so many cathedrals and museums that we'd sort of hit the limit of that style of art, so the early Ren and Medieval galleries were sort of causing us to glaze over. There's really only so many Crucified Jesus, baby Jesus, tortured saint, another Crucifixion, another tortured saint that one person can really see.

Although it makes the other styles of art really have an impact. After going through all those galleries, when we finally got to the Garden of Earthly Delights it was like a punch in the gut. In person, it's an enormous piece and stylistically so different from what came before it that the juxtaposition is powerful.

I'm glad that we went to the Prado, but I'm really looking forward to having more time to spend at the Reina Sofia and the Thyssen this year.

We're taking the opposite approach when we're in port in November. We're actually not going to Florence at all and exactly for the reason that Cruisemom posted above - we just don't think that we are even going to be able to scratch the surface of Florence in the 6 or so hours that we'd have (after you deduct the transit to and from the port at Livorno).

We're planning on driving in to the countryside and doing some wine tasting and perhaps hitting a smaller city like Siena or several villages.

Florence IMO should be done as part of a longer land trip, not as a hit-and-run.

Fianna you are so wise. Good plan and all the more reason to go back for a longer land tour.

Fianna you are so wise. Good plan and all the more reason to go back for a longer land tour.

In a lot of ways, that's how we use cruising. It's a great way to get a small taste of various areas and figure out which ones you want to go back to for longer and more intensive stays.

A Tuscany/Piedmonte land trip has been a plan for a very long time, so I don't see the need to rush. :)

That's the best way to get a real feel for the country - spend a lot of time there. Unfortunately, not everyone has the time away from work to do that (DH included!). We're darn lucky to get 12 days off in a row!

I think mandatory retirement age needs to be changed to 50. :D

That's the best way to get a real feel for the country - spend a lot of time there. Unfortunately, not everyone has the time away from work to do that (DH included!). We're darn lucky to get 12 days off in a row!

I think mandatory retirement age needs to be changed to 50. :D

Actually, I don't see any need to change the retirement age, I just wish they'd be more liberal with vacation days, like they are in almost every other developed country in the world. ;)

I'd happily work at my job for another 20 years or so (I'm 47) if I would just get 4 weeks vacation every year.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I don't hate art. But I can take it or leave it, usually leaving it.

Of our group of 7, we all went to the Accademia but only my son and I went to the Uffizi.

The Uffizi is a real art museum, for art lovers. Lots of people love it, but I wish I'd have spent more time seeing the rest of Florence.

The Accademia was a relatively quick tour with some pretty fascinating statues. Obviously David is the star.

So, for our grup, the Accademia is the clear winner.

OK. I don't hate art. But I can take it or leave it, usually leaving it.

Of our group of 7, we all went to the Accademia but only my son and I went to the Uffizi.

The Uffizi is a real art museum, for art lovers. Lots of people love it, but I wish I'd have spent more time seeing the rest of Florence.

The Accademia was a relatively quick tour with some pretty fascinating statues. Obviously David is the star.

So, for our grup, the Accademia is the clear winner.

We sure hear ya! We do love certain kinds of art (especially the French impressionists) but are always a little puzzled at the huge interest in museums by cruise passengers. When we try to help folks plan independent days (we do help quite a few via e-mail) I will often ask them "if you had a single day to see New York City would you spend most of that day in museums?" Most tell me no, they would want to walk the streets, stroll 5th Avenue, have lunch in a good deli, etc. Yet if you put this same person in Florence of about 5 hours (typical time for a port day) they will go to the Academia and Uffizi (and bypass my favorite local museum ..the Pitti Palace). Florence is a city to be savored for its amazing architecture, nice walks along the river, the shops, cafes, and overall atmosphere. As an Italian friend once said, Museums are a part of Florence....but they are not Florence.

Hank

OK. I don't hate art. But I can take it or leave it, usually leaving it. The Uffizi is a real art museum, for art lovers. Lots of people love it, but I wish I'd have spent more time seeing the rest of Florence. The Accademia was a relatively quick tour with some pretty fascinating statues. Obviously David is the star. So, for our group, the Accademia is the clear winner.

Loved both of these great museums in Florence, but as summarized above, they are very different in their sizes and art focus. Some love the depth of the Uffizi, while as noted above, something smaller can be better for your personal tastes/interest. I also love BOTH the Louvre and d'Orsay in Paris. Both are spectacular, but each has a totally different focus in their great collections and building styles/types. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At the bottom of this Uffizi webpage (Google's translation) it says: "The Uffizi gallery is currently closed for renovations until June 2011."

Further details are here, which seems to indicate it is just a section/room

http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/eventi/evento.asp?id=253

Can someone with knowledge of the museum help me understand what is happening?

Thanks.

Here is some additional info:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35423100

It looks to me like various areas or rooms may be closed as renovations progress, but the entire museum is not closed. Certain things may be off exhibit.

And here's some more context about the renovations themselves, which are not universally popular in Florence!

http://www.newsweek.com/id/36278

I don't see mention of the Bargello in this thread, yet that would be my first recommendation for a museum in Florence.

We saw the David; but aside from him, the Accademia just wasn't that interesting. We skipped the Uffizi because I didn't feel we could do it justice on a day trip which included other major Florentine sights.

The Bargello, though, was fantastic! The building itself is of great historical interest. They have several significant Michelangelo pieces, plus a great collection of other Renaissance sculpture. Donatello's swishy David was great, also the Gianbologna works. They have a number of other interesting collections, including majolica and coins. When we visited, they also had a visiting exhibit of Bernini busts, which was excellent. I recommend this museum highly!

The Piazza della Signoria also has a good (and free) sculpture collection, including the David replica if you don't want to devote the time to visiting the original in the Accademia.

Archived