Uffizi Gallery vs. Accademia Gallery

DrivesLikeMario

I am going to answer your question with another question. If you were making your first trip to New York City and only had 6 hours to see Manhattan, would you spend most of your time inside a museum? Having ask that question here is my take on the two museums. For us, the best part of the Ufizzi is the interesting building. Yes, they have a priceless collection of art, but we found most of these famous paintings to be drab, dark and boring (this will certainly get me flamed). On the other hand, we are lovers of the 19th and early 20th century Impressionists and you will not see that in the Ufizzi. As to the Academia, the one word that comes to mind is DAVID. The Academia is a bit out of the way and there are sometimes long lines, but David is an absolutely amazing work of art. Of course there is an exact replica of David in the Piazza della Signoria where you can have lunch at an outdoor cafe and stare at the statute without waiting in line. But getting back to my original thesis, we do love visiting Florence (have been there many times on cruises and also on driving trips) and love the atomosphere of the city, its fabulous architecture, the romantic river, the shops, markets, etc. When the weather is good there is no way we are going inside any museum. And by the way, we actually found the less visited Pitti Palace (with several museums) to be our favorite building/museum in Florence.

Hank

Great information, Hank, thank you. I totally agree - to me, soaking up the atmosphere is my primary focus. I'd much rather do justice to one museum than rush through two of them.

When reading reviews of the Accademia, you'd think there is no other piece of art in the entire museum other than David! :eek: I love Caravaggio and would like to see the Titians in the Uffizi. Architecture is a big draw for me, so it sounds like we'd be more pleased with the Uffizi than the Accademia.

Maybe we can sit down, have lunch, people watch and see David's imposter in the Piazza della Signoria.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

You should do what interests you most, absolutely. However, the David imposter is soooooooo unimpressive compared to the original. And yes, once you see THE David, it will be like there was no other art work in the museum. It is literally breathtaking!

Hank's Pitti Palace suggestion is a good one. The gardens there are one of my favorite places to "hang out."

Also, as mentioned, it is a matter of personal style and interests. If I could see only one work of art (not just in Florence, but in the world), it would be David. I have visited it at least 20 times and the next time I return to Florence, I will see it again -- on both my first and last day there.

The Uffizi is one of the top 3 or 4 art museums in the world. David man's greatest art achievement ever (obviously, this is all just my opinion). But, there is enough to see (hear, smell, feel) in Florence that two weeks -- let alone part of one day -- would not be enough to come close to experience it all. Two examples out of many: The Medici Chapel and Fiesole. If that building or that hilltop village were some place else, each, in its own right, would be a HUGE center of attention. In (near) Florence, they are "oh, ya, nice."

Great information, Hank, thank you. I totally agree - to me, soaking up the atmosphere is my primary focus. I'd much rather do justice to one museum than rush through two of them.

When reading reviews of the Accademia, you'd think there is no other piece of art in the entire museum other than David! :eek: I love Caravaggio and would like to see the Titians in the Uffizi. Architecture is a big draw for me, so it sounds like we'd be more pleased with the Uffizi than the Accademia.

Maybe we can sit down, have lunch, people watch and see David's imposter in the Piazza della Signoria.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

The Uffizi seems to me to be the perfect size for a gallery.

And there is Botticelli's "Birth of Venus". Need I say more?

You should do what interests you most, absolutely. However, the David imposter is soooooooo unimpressive compared to the original. And yes, once you see THE David, it will be like there was no other art work in the museum. It is literally breathtaking!

Especially breathtaking for women! :)

Hank

I agree, Michelangelo's David is impressive.

To see where sculpture went after Michelangelo, check out Bernini's work next time you are in Rome. Amazing.

As for the debate at hand, I love art and art museums, but after a total of about four weeks or so in Florence over multiple trips, I still have not made it to the Uffizi. There is just so much else to see and do, and I've yet to hit a day there with really bad weather that would make me want to spend an entire day indoors. On the other hand, I have been to several of the museums at the Pitti Palace, they are smaller and more easily managed in a short visit.

My vote would be for the Academia--you can be in and out relatively quickly, there isn't all that much else to see, and the David is just magnificent. That would allow you tons of additional time to 'feel' Florence.

If I had to encapsulate the Uffizi in one phrase it would be "Madonna with Child." Yikes, they have a TON of them!! I loved the museum and didn't find it all that large, relatively, and they have great sculpture, but the focus is definitely on religious art--so bear that in mind. I got quite over it after the first hour or two.

Cathy

Okay, now I'm thinking we can maybe make a short visit to the Accademia to see David and then spend some more time at the Uffizi Gallery. I just wish we had more time, but since it's only 1 day, it makes the schedule quite tight.

I love museums - my favorites being the Musee D'Orsay in Paris and the Getty Museum (not the Villa - too much Egyptian art for my tastes). There are a few specific pieces I'd really like to see in person at the Uffizi.

Thanks so much for everyone's insight - I really appreciate it! :)

I have looked at this post several times today trying to figure out what to recommend. Truthfully, I've not been to Florence on a cruise ship (only land trips) so it's really hard to recommend. I love the Uffizi -- it's one of my favorite museums (and I'm a museum hound). But if you haven't been to Florence before and you're only there for a short part of a day, I think regretfully I'd say skip the Uffizi and see David. Spend some time wandering Florence.

Then plan to come back and stay for a week or so. ;)

Okay, now I'm thinking we can maybe make a short visit to the Accademia to see David and then spend some more time at the Uffizi Gallery. I just wish we had more time, but since it's only 1 day, it makes the schedule quite tight.

I love museums - my favorites being the Musee D'Orsay in Paris and the Getty Museum (not the Villa - too much Egyptian art for my tastes). There are a few specific pieces I'd really like to see in person at the Uffizi.

Thanks so much for everyone's insight - I really appreciate it! :)

We share your love of the Musee D'Orsay (one of our favorites in the world) and also the Getty. Compared to these museums the Academia (with the exception of David) and the Ufizzi might put you to sleep with its very dark dreary art (sorry if we are insulting lovers of this type of art). Keep in mind that the entire city of Florence is like one large museum and walking the streets is a fantastic experience (its why so many of us go back again and again and again). And of course there is the gelato. As great as tis he art in the Uffizzi and Academia, to go to Florence without seeing Florence (this is the part that is outside all the museums) is, in our humble opinion, a crime. But, we do understand everyone has their own priorities.

Hank

we had only 2.5 hours in Florence due to bad weather & ship having to tender at La Spezia, we had reservations for both museums, but choses to see only the Academia & Duomo, like previous posters said, David has to be seen to be believed, you can actually see the veins in his feet & hands! Amazing & not to be missed.

We have a similar predicament and are opting for the David and Accademia. To some respect, I agree with Hank. We are not going to spend our entire time at this port in museums. We are also going to Pisa, tour a winery, and drive along the Tuscan countryside. You can't do everything and we have chance to see other great museums on our cruise.

In 2007 we purchased tickets to the Accademia in advance. Arrived at 10 ish, were inside by 10:30 ish, and by noon were strolling the Piazza della Signoria. Had some lunch, did the Ponte Vecchio, Pigs market, and wandered over to the Bargello (but it was closed that day).

If we had purchased tix to the Uffizi in advance, we could have squeezed it in, but instead had a very relaxing day, saw David (well worth it) and drank in the local atmosphere. This next trip we’ll visit Uffizi, and spend the balance of the day enjoying a great city.

My only suggestion is to get a good map of the city. Then go enjoy it.

Terry

We share your love of the Musee D'Orsay (one of our favorites in the world) and also the Getty. Compared to these museums the Academia (with the exception of David) and the Ufizzi might put you to sleep with its very dark dreary art (sorry if we are insulting lovers of this type of art).

I had a similar thought, although not the same characterization of the art at the Uffizi (even though I haven't been there, I've read a lot about the art contained therein). The collections at D'Orsay and the Getty are vastly different than the Uffizi.

We share your love of the Musee D'Orsay (one of our favorites in the world) and also the Getty. Compared to these museums the Academia (with the exception of David) and the Ufizzi might put you to sleep with its very dark dreary art (sorry if we are insulting lovers of this type of art).

Hank

I'm not insulted. However, not everyone finds it dark and dreary. ;)

Give me the classical and the (early) Renaissance over the Baroque any day. I'm not such a big fan of Impressionism, either. It's easy to like but somehow I don't love it.

The Musee d"Orsay is the best museum in the world and as DH would attest, we have seen quite a lot of museums... especially for him:) Our first cruise to Florence we saw David, did not want to spend all day in museums since we were already scheduled for many including the Vatican. And David was about the only interesting art in the museum IMO. Our next cruise we will see the Ufizzi. Based on advise we received here, the Ufizzi deserves a few hours, which we plan to give it this fall. But if you go to Florence, you must see Florence, it is a lovely city. Maybe the next cruise we will add Pisa, but Florence is a must.

What shocked me at the Musee D'Orsay is that they'll allow you take pictures of the art! It was amazing to watch lots of people with all kinds of cameras taking pictures of these masterpieces.

To me, it's so much more impressive than the Louvre. It's smaller, more manageable, has a beautiful setting and the works of art are amazing! To stand in front of some of those masterpieces is almost unbelievable!

To me, it's so much more impressive than the Louvre. It's smaller, more manageable, has a beautiful setting and the works of art are amazing! To stand in front of some of those masterpieces is almost unbelievable!

More impressive than the Louvre? More impressive than over 5,000 years worth of art?

I like the Musee d'Orsay, but it covers such a narrow spectrum of human artistic achievement. Give me the Louvre any day!

Assuming you are only going to spend say 60-90' max in the museum, its easy, Academia. That is a museum where you can see one of Florence's and worlds most famou work of art and all the other displays and come away without feeling like you missed anything. With your remaining time you will still be hard pressed to make other choices.

Go to the Uffizi and walk thru as fast as you can I don't think you can come close to more than a scratch in its surface.

Kind of like the debate when in France; Louvre or Musee D'Orsay... ;)

Of course if you have a specific interest that attracts you to the Uffizzi then you should go there :D

If you could only visit one, which one would you chose and why?

We'll only have one day in Florence and I want to make the most of it. I don't think we would be able to do justice to both museums in the limited amount of time we'll have there.

Archived