Summer in the Caribbean?

sail7seas

What with it coming soon to be time for repositioning cruises, FLL to Europe, given the air emergency and question as to flights to /from Europe, any chance some of the ships will not reposition and will do summer in the Caribbean cruises? Some of the reports I'm hearing re: the volcano indicate it's possible conditions could get worse rather than better.

What about Maasdam? I wonder if her Viking cruise with stops in Iceland may have revised itinerary.

Any thoughts?

We've badly missed HAL summer Caribbean cruises but would hate for them to be reinstated due to these sort of circumstances and the agony it is costing so many people.

I agree they wouldn't 'willingly' consider keeping a ship or ships in the Caribbean for all the reasons we've outlined here a number of times but it may be an involuntary choice if flight conditions to and within Europe remain halted for long. I worry some of that ash could drop to earth and be a real danger to people breathing it. Hope it all 'blows over' quickly. If North Americans can't get flights to and from Europe and Europeans cannot get flights country to country within Europe, how are people going to get to the ships?

Monday is Boston Marathon Day and countless elite runners from Europe are stranded and cannot get here. They've trained so hard for this race and now can't come. I feel awful for them. Heads of State can not get to Poland for their Presidents funeral.

If this volcano problem continues there will be a lot of people cancelling before final payment & others may be able to use their travel insurance to cancel . Thus ,"if" this problem were to continue I don't see how any cruise line ship could go to Europe with empty ships. JMO

I agree they wouldn't 'williningly' consider keeping a ship or ships in the Caribbean for all the reasons we've outlined here a number of times but it may be an involuntary choice if flight conditions to and within Europe remain halted for long. I worry some of that ash could drop to earth and be a real danger to people breathing it. Hope it all 'blows over' quickly. If North Americans can't get flights to and from Europe and Europeans cannot get flights country to country within Europe, how are people going to get to the ships?

Monday is Boston Marathon Day and countless elite runners from Europe are stranded and cannot get here. They've trained so hard for this race and now can't come. I feel awful for them. Heads of State can not get to Poland for their Presidents funeral.

It is not the heavy ash that is the problem because that falls back into the volcano .It is the light ash that literally can travel for thousands of miles & it is silacate which not only gums up engines but does damage to a persons breathing .

It is not the heavy ash that is the problem because that falls back into the volcano .It is the light ash that literally can travel for thousands of miles & it is silacate which not only gums up engines but does damage to a persons breathing .

And none of that can drop to earth impacting the air people breathe? I'm not being sarcastic..... I really don't know the answer.

If North Americans can't get flights to and from Europe and Europeans cannot get flights country to country within Europe, how are people going to get to the ships?

I would bet that HAL could fill the ships with Europeans getting to ports by car or train, since they can't fly to places they would normally vacation ... like Orlando! (Trains are still running, aren't they?) Remember Europe is quite small compared to the US. Paris to Rome is only about 700 miles, Paris to Barcelona or Venice a little over 500.

I think there's too many arrangements "in place" in Europe for HAL to not bring the ships there on short notice.

I think the conversation premature as this cloud could dissipate in days, the flights will resume and order will be restored.......

OR NOT.

I sure hope so. It has got to be miserable and nerve-racking to those en route or just getting ready to. My heart goes out to them. Seems we need a whole bunch of "Gander Newfoundland" sites this round.

I so agree, Maxout. I feel very badly for those who are stressed and anxious when they should be happily looking forward to a wonderful cruise to rid themselves of efveryday stresws and angyst.

What about Maasdam? I wonder if her Viking cruise with stops in Iceland may have revised itinerary.

The Iceland stops look to be the safest. The Iceland ports are north and west of the volcano, although the capital is closer. The plume is heading away from them. It's the ports on the continent that could be problematic on that itinerary.

Hopefully, the worry is premature.

I am starting to get a tad worried about my flight to Venice, via Zurich, in two weeks.

I am starting to get a tad worried about my flight to Venice, via Zurich, in two weeks.
I surely hope it clears for you, Ruth. I just checked what will be our flight from Newark to Tel Aviv, and it's in the air right now ... taking a more southern route. Looks like we'll be fine UNLESS the cloud is carried farther east and south. If we end up not being able to make it, the blessing will be that we're HOME, not having to worry about how to get there.

I wish no one has their cruises or flights interupted, and that all will be well in the world. That being said.......I would surely love a Hal ship in the Caribbean in the summer. Nothing wrong with indulging a little in wishful thinking.:cool::rolleyes:

I have made it known before (often!) that I would love a HAL ship in the Caribbean during the summer, but meanwhile, I am thinking good thoughts for those who are currently in turmoil due to the volcanic ash conditions.

Disney's Eastbound Transatlantic (EBTA) has already started; the Magic should be approaching Europe now. Have not heard many reports yet, but I am anxious to see what Disney decides. Their EBTA ends in Barcelona on 4/24, and that then starts their Mediterranean season. I'll be following closely as we are scheduled to bring the Magic home on 9/18 on the Westbound Transatlantic. If the Magic comes home early, I know I personally wouldn't look too forward to the Caribbean instead of a Transatlantic, but who knows what'll happen.

I'm a little confused on the attraction of the Caribbean in the summer. We did it once when we first started cruising and never again. It was way too hot to enjoy the ports or outdoors on the ship. Bermuda is in the Atlantic and fine in July and August, but much further south in the Caribbean is unbearably hot in the summer months, especially when there are so many months to really enjoy being there in the spring, fall, and winter. JMHO and experience.

I'm a little confused on the attraction of the Caribbean in the summer. We did it once when we first started cruising and never again. It was way too hot to enjoy the ports or outdoors on the ship. Bermuda is in the Atlantic and fine in July and August, but much further south in the Caribbean is unbearably hot in the summer months, especially when there are so many months to really enjoy being there in the spring, fall, and winter. JMHO and experience.

And the year I went to Alaska they had a heat wave and it was well over 90 every day we were there.

And the year I went to Alaska they had a heat wave and it was well over 90 every day we were there.

LOL. However, I doubt there is anything in Alaska like the humidity in the Caribbean which makes the temps feel so much worse. There's just too many great months in the Caribbean for me to want to go again in the summer and there are other areas in the world that are perfect for summer travel, but not so much in the winter.

When HAL used to put their new ship in the Caribbean their first summer in the fleet, we always sailed them and loved those cruises. We love our Canada/New England cruises in the summer and would love the chance to do that in addition to a Caribbean sail in July/August or Sept.

Different strokes and all that....

Archived