Man overboard

Ive posted about this before, some ppl are very quick to complain about the smallest thing regarding service levels etc - seem to forget that the staff on board these ships are away from their families, away from their homes and working extremely long hours. I always find being nice to the staff and having a chat with them about where they are from etc results in them paying extra attention (not that I do it to get this). Sad to think of somebodys child or parent or sibling ending thier life like that.
\

A suicidal person is mentally unstable, depressed, has problems, and nothing you could say or do as a passenger would have any impact.

Can't help but remember a 20/20 episode awhile ago where they interviewed people who survived jumping off the San Fransisco Bay Bridge.....every single one of them said as soon as they jumped they regretted it....:(

Neither have I. Do you RCCL will give out any info if I gave them a call?

I am on the 5/8 sailing as well. They do not have any updated information other than what is posted on their website. They are asking passengers not to arrive in Bayonne until 7:30 p.m. but no later than 10:00 p.m. on Sat. 5/8.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=important_updates

But then I am not versed on the mechanics of ships and boats and even if a lifeboat can disembark at speed.

With the davit system used on cruise ships, the boat would be swamped, overturned, and sunk if launched at speed. The only real way to release a boat at speed would be a stern launch, which cruise ships do not have.

The search was called off at 7:30 this morning by our ship.

The U.S. coast guard was circling around and taking over the search. There are 2 planes and 2 boats which will continue the search.

The crew member was a man from Mauritas. According to crew that I spoke with, he had been having some problems at home. He called home yesterday from San Juan and was very upset after the phone call.

He proceeded to say goodbye to his friends. At the time, they did not understand.

According to the cd, the man "lowered himself into the water." Another source state this was at approximately 8:15 p.m. last night

The crew member had been with the Explorer of the Seas for a few years.

Needless to say, the crew is somber this morning. Many crew and cruisers stayed up all night in hopes of spotting their friend.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Does anyone else find it strange that they are sharing this many of the gory details with the passengers?

Does anyone else find it strange that they are sharing this many of the gory details with the passengers?

I was thinking the same thing. I understand being forthcoming initially because you don't want the passengers freaking out that the ship is sinking when it did a sudden turn and list and lights start flashing... but sharing some of those really sad and depressing collateral details is a bit strange.

I interpreted that post as information gathered by the cruiser from conversations with other crew members and not releases made by upper RCI staff members. I could be wrong. :cool:

Similar situation on the Liberty when we were aboard in 2007. At 2:00 am in the morning I awoke to major cavitation and could tell we were quickly slowing or turning or both, woke my husband and could hear the Oscar call on the hall speakers, ran out to balcony and noticed light beacons in the water on our starboard side in an arc out behind us, about 13 of them, so they start throwing these light bouys immediately to mark the spot every so many feet, we were turning, hence the arc. We quickly dressed and ran up on deck and by then we were at full stop, dead in the water and they had the rescue boat in the water. We could see it turned all directions with search lights on. They wanted everyone quiet and you could hear a pin drop, lots of people up on deck watching while they used a bull horn to yell from the rescue boat and then waited for a response, we could hear both really well. They finally found 2 men from Haiti on a makeshift raft. Everyone cheered at the rail on deck 4 when we all ran down to watch the recovery. I have film of it. All very exciting, of course these men WANTED to be found. They were dehydrated and out of provisions and finally of course made to return to Haiti:( Our understanding is if they reach our shores they can stay under immunity laws, but they were too far out (225 miles from Miami) and then they have to return to homeland. Someone on deck at that hour had noticed them as we passed by and threw out life rings and reported them. Maritime law states you must try to rescue anyone adrift.

I echo the comments about making every attempt to make life a little easier for the crew members. It's a lonely, stressful, demanding job. What a sad situation. (I can not believe some of the petty complaints people post ... )

I echo the comments about making every attempt to make life a little easier for the crew members. It's a lonely, stressful, demanding job. What a sad situation. (I can not believe some of the petty complaints people post ... )

Ditto. This is so terribly sad:o

I'm on the sailing saturday and haven't heard anything as yet....but we will now try to arrive around 7 PM.

We've been on Ex many times....my thoughts and prayers are with the crew and the passengers on the ship!

Peace to all...................

Similar situation on the Liberty when we were aboard in 2007. At 2:00 am in the morning I awoke to major cavitation and could tell we were quickly slowing or turning or both, woke my husband and could hear the Oscar call on the hall speakers, ran out to balcony and noticed light beacons in the water on our starboard side in an arc out behind us, about 13 of them, so they start throwing these light bouys immediately to mark the spot every so many feet, we were turning, hence the arc. We quickly dressed and ran up on deck and by then we were at full stop, dead in the water and they had the rescue boat in the water. We could see it turned all directions with search lights on. They wanted everyone quiet and you could hear a pin drop, lots of people up on deck watching while they used a bull horn to yell from the rescue boat and then waited for a response, we could hear both really well. They finally found 2 men from Haiti on a makeshift raft. Everyone cheered at the rail on deck 4 when we all ran down to watch the recovery. I have film of it. All very exciting, of course these men WANTED to be found. They were dehydrated and out of provisions and finally of course made to return to Haiti:( Our understanding is if they reach our shores they can stay under immunity laws, but they were too far out (225 miles from Miami) and then they have to return to homeland. Someone on deck at that hour had noticed them as we passed by and threw out life rings and reported them. Maritime law states you must try to rescue anyone adrift.

The "wet foot - dry foot" rule does not apply to Haitians, only Cubans

I have clients on this sailing and RCCL did call today to tell me to have them not to arrive at the pier any earlier than 7:30 pm, or they will be turned away.

However, they are arriving at 10:30 am and have ship transfers. RCCL has no idea at this point when the transfer service will start running to the pier and apparently expects the clients to sit around Newark airport all day. :eek:

Still working on getting a better answer than that.

Oh no - I hope I am wrong - we were on the Explorer last month and our waiter was from this island "Mauritas" and he was 26. His name was Morgan and everyone called him "Captain Morgan". I pray it is not him. He was a funny kid and we adored him. Probably many crew are from this place, but I never heard of it before.

Prayers go out to whoever it was.

Oh no - I hope I am wrong - we were on the Explorer last month and our waiter was from this island "Mauritas" and he was 26. His name was Morgan and everyone called him "Captain Morgan". I pray it is not him. He was a funny kid and we adored him. Probably many crew are from this place, but I never heard of it before.

Prayers go out to whoever it was.

Mauritius is an island in the South Indian Ocean. It has strong French ties. It is also a popular tourist destination in it's own right, as well as a major producer of raw sugar cane.

This is a sad incident and I wish the best for the crew.

Archived