Man overboard

Also on the ship right now. We're still not moving any faster than 2 knots or so but we've swung around and are finally facing northeast (the sun is starting to come up). Apparently it's a waiter. So sad, such a waste. Several people on this ship are from the UK and are here because of their plans being changed a few weeks ago because of the volcano. I hope they aren't cutting their flights too close because there is NO WAY we'll be back in Bayonne when expected. Will check back later this morning

I feel bad for people missing their flights, but I'm happy to see that Royal Caribbean cares this much for one their crew members.

Will continue praying for all!

Just got back from the Windjammer. Search planes are over us and we're back heading north. Please tell anyone that's supposed to head out on the Explorer on Saturday to stay tuned. Don't think we'll be on time. Will update again later if we hear anything else.

Just got back from the Windjammer. Search planes are over us and we're back heading north. Please tell anyone that's supposed to head out on the Explorer on Saturday to stay tuned. Don't think we'll be on time. Will update again later if we hear anything else.

Thank you for keeping us posted..

I will be on the Explorer on 5/8. Thank you for posting to let us know about a potential delay for our departure on Saturday. This situation is so sad and I am sure it is very upsetting to friends and crew members as well as to all of the passengers onboard. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you -- especially the crew and family.

Also on the ship right now. We're still not moving any faster than 2 knots or so but we've swung around and are finally facing northeast (the sun is starting to come up). Apparently it's a waiter. So sad, such a waste. Several people on this ship are from the UK and are here because of their plans being changed a few weeks ago because of the volcano. I hope they aren't cutting their flights too close because there is NO WAY we'll be back in Bayonne when expected. Will check back later this morning

Thanks so much PattyG12 and beachbrat. This is so sad. Without knowing the exact situation, I can only imagine how lonely life could be onboard for months at a clip with no rest. Positive thoughts going out to the waiter and his family, and a sad reminder that giving all the wonderful people on the ship an extra smile or thank you is important.

and a sad reminder that giving all the wonderful people on the ship an extra smile or thank you is important.

Well said windjamming, sometime we dont realize how hard and long the crew work on the ships to give us such a wonderful vacation. an extra thank you and appreciation can go a long way.

Ive posted about this before, some ppl are very quick to complain about the smallest thing regarding service levels etc - seem to forget that the staff on board these ships are away from their families, away from their homes and working extremely long hours. I always find being nice to the staff and having a chat with them about where they are from etc results in them paying extra attention (not that I do it to get this). Sad to think of somebodys child or parent or sibling ending thier life like that.

Ive posted about this before, some ppl are very quick to complain about the smallest thing regarding service levels etc - seem to forget that the staff on board these ships are away from their families, away from their homes and working extremely long hours. I always find being nice to the staff and having a chat with them about where they are from etc results in them paying extra attention (not that I do it to get this). Sad to think of somebodys child or parent or sibling ending thier life like that.

I've noticed this too, Irish1978, and I also don't do it as a quid pro quo - I genuinely like hearing about where they're from and their families. A few new words in their language also goes a long way - especially "thanks". On one cruise, our dining room waiter told us it made a huge difference to him personally when he got a nice family in his section for a sailing.

On the Explorer now...the ship started to list severely to the left because we were turning around quickly....crew members running to the decks...all decks closed to passengers.....someone went overboard :-(

Soooo Sad. My prayers go out to him.

The search was called off at 7:30 this morning by our ship.

The U.S. coast guard was circling around and taking over the search. There are 2 planes and 2 boats which will continue the search.

The crew member was a man from Mauritas. According to crew that I spoke with, he had been having some problems at home. He called home yesterday from San Juan and was very upset after the phone call.

He proceeded to say goodbye to his friends. At the time, they did not understand.

According to the cd, the man "lowered himself into the water." Another source state this was at approximately 8:15 p.m. last night

The crew member had been with the Explorer of the Seas for a few years.

Needless to say, the crew is somber this morning. Many crew and cruisers stayed up all night in hopes of spotting their friend.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Our ship will be late getting into port. We are not arriving until 4 pm ish.

RCCL has offered those of us with missed flights a $200 per person change fee and free telephone calls to airlines.

always a sad situation...what would push someone to jump off a ship...

This is what I am thinking...he JUMPED, so he did it as his own will for whatever reason...thinking he may not want to be found...it's a shame but obviously he wanted to go overboard?:confused:

Was the ship on a 7 day cruise and where in the ocean are they located now? It is too sad for this to have happend.

I think they are on their transatlantic repositioning cruise.

Aaaanyways. I am very impressed with the amount of attention RCCL gave the missing crew member. I would have guessed that the Explorer would have killed its engines and sent out a life boat. Not pull a u-turn and circle around looking. I hope they would be so concerned about a passenger as well.

Just not the way it is done Brett. This ship is mammoth. It doesn't stop on a dime. Probably cruising somewhere between 18-22 knots. (20-25 mph). By the time they "stopped" the ship they would have covered a couple of miles or more. The standard turns (Anderson or Williamson) will bring a ship back to the point of "man overboard" much quicker.

As to you concern of pasenger vs crew, it is quite unfounded.

This is what I am thinking...he JUMPED, so he did it as his own will for whatever reason...thinking he may not want to be found...it's a shame but obviously he wanted to go overboard?:confused:

I think you misunderstood. The poster you quote was wondering what pushed the person to do this.

In my life of work, I deal with suicides. They are a sad fact of life. Unfortunately, we don't get to ask those who are successful why they do but it would appear that they think that this is the only way out and will be better off.

My thoughts are with the family and friends of the crew member.

I would have guessed that the Explorer would have killed its engines and sent out a life boat. Not pull a u-turn and circle around looking.

That would be the worst thing they could do. Circling the ship around is quicker and provides for a much better look-out platform.

Just not the way it is done Brett. This ship is mammoth. It doesn't stop on a dime. Probably cruising somewhere between 18-22 knots. (20-25 mph). By the time they "stopped" the ship they would have covered a couple of miles or more. The standard turns (Anderson or Williamson) will bring a ship back to the point of "man overboard" much quicker.

As to you concern of pasenger vs crew, it is quite unfounded.

Ah, I was unaware they could do such a tight turn at that speed. I figured they would lower a lifeboat while still moving since 20-25mph isn't that fast. But then I am not versed on the mechanics of ships and boats and even if a lifeboat can disembark at speed.

Not sure what you meant about the last line. I have always figured a jump off of a top deck of a cruise ship was almost certain death upon impact and that there was little hope of surviving a fall like that. I guess I'm just jaded in thinking the liner wouldn't try to go back to search for anybody, even against bad odds.

Ah, I was unaware they could do such a tight turn at that speed. I figured they would lower a lifeboat while still moving since 20-25mph isn't that fast. But then I am not versed on the mechanics of ships and boats and even if a lifeboat can disembark at speed.

Not sure what you meant about the last line. I have always figured a jump off of a top deck of a cruise ship was almost certain death upon impact and that there was little hope of surviving a fall like that. I guess I'm just jaded in thinking the liner wouldn't try to go back to search for anybody, even against bad odds.

The are required by maritime law to search whether the person is from their ship or another ship. It would be inhumane not to go back.

Archived