Man overboard

The "wet foot - dry foot" rule does not apply to Haitians, only Cubans

Thanks, didn't know, maybe they were Cubans, only scuttlebutt to go on ya know.......... We don't know what really happened to them for sure.......just what we heard the next day.

I have clients on this sailing and RCCL did call today to tell me to have them not to arrive at the pier any earlier than 7:30 pm, or they will be turned away.

However, they are arriving at 10:30 am and have ship transfers. RCCL has no idea at this point when the transfer service will start running to the pier and apparently expects the clients to sit around Newark airport all day. :eek:

Still working on getting a better answer than that.

And probably RCI is also working on a better answer as well.But if the ship is going to be hours late your clients are probably going to be sitting around somewhere all day and Newark airport is probably a better spot than Cape Liberty. We experienced a similar situation with the Sapphire Princess a few years ago and Princess eventually sent everyone to a local hotel and provided them with lunch but we still had to sit at the hotel from early morning until nearly 7pm that evening before they could transport us to the ship. Stuff happens and sometimes it takes a bit of time to work out a viable solution that will minimize the inevitable inconvenience.

Ella 2, as another post said, better your clients sit around Newark airport than Cape Liberty. They will be A LOT more comfortable there.

My prayers also go out to the family...we have also met a good handful of great folks from Mauritius on our RCI cruises... so sad.

Just received a call from RCCL - we are on May 8th sailing. Ship is due to arrive Bayonne at 3PM. We are to arrive at port between 7:30PM-10PM. Ship will sail at midnight.

I am feeling so sad for the crew and passengers. I can't imagine them arriving into Bayonne at 3PM and then having to get themselves together and have to welcome all of us aboard just a few hours later. My thoughts and prayers are with them.....and especially the family of this crew member.

\

A suicidal person is mentally unstable, depressed, has problems, and nothing you could say or do as a passenger would have any impact.

Making professional assumptions about human behavior is best left to the professionals.

In the interim compassion would be a more appropriate response.

. . .

I am feeling so sad for the crew and passengers. I can't imagine them arriving into Bayonne at 3PM and then having to get themselves together and have to welcome all of us aboard just a few hours later. My thoughts and prayers are with them.....and especially the family of this crew member.

My sentiments exactly. Since the crew members work together in the ship for months at a time, this tragic loss must feel like losing one of their extended families.

Heartfelt prayers to everyone affected by this tragedy.

\

A suicidal person is mentally unstable, depressed, has problems, and nothing you could say or do as a passenger would have any impact.

Wow - you have no idea. :( Mentally unstable? Good grief! Unless you've been suicidal, you are not in a place to judge others.

This past January on our Explorer cruise our assistant waiter was from Mauritius. I told him that he was the first crew member we have ever met who had come from that island. He explained to us that Explorer had a group of employees from Mauritius. I don't recall the exact number but it was 10 or so.

Does anyone else find it strange that they are sharing this many of the gory details with the passengers?

No, I don't find it strange. A young waiter from Portugal jumped overboard when we were on the Brilliance. He was getting ready to go to work around 5:30-6:00 a.m., waved goodbye to his friend and jumped overboard. His friend threw out a life preserver with a light on it right away. When the Captain made the announcement over the PA, the entire ship was up on their balcony looking into the water. Well, that blinking light on the life preserver was already miles away. Between the ship moving and the current, the light on the life preserver could barely be seen. We had just left Curacao that day and we were to far for another ship to come out and assist in the search so they sent a plane. Our ship, a few rescue boats and the plane did nothing but make circles for 12 hours straight. It was so sad. The Captain called the search off at 6 p.m. I think they have to search for 12 hours. We found out that the waiter's wife worked on the ship and he had just returned to the Brilliance and found out that his wife was having an affair and he had been very depressed - this is what his friends told us. It was very sad in the dining room that night..........all the crew was very upset.

Our prayers are with the crew of the Explorer of the Seas and to this young man's family. The crew has lost a member of their family. We don't know why and we aren't in this person's shoes so we aren't to judge. Our prayers are needed.

I am not sure how they are managing in the dining room. I am sure the crew is doing the best they can manage under these circumstances.

We are sailing on Saturday on the 5 night Bermuda cruise. Can anyone who is on the ship now give an estimated time of arrival into Bayonne? I know things can change and that the captain is trying to make up some time. We are hearing all sorts of different times and I was wondering what you are being told on the ship. Thank you!

Such a sad situation for all involved -- crew, friends and family. I also am sorry for any problems you may be encountering with your return travel plans!

RCI Update. Do not arrive before 7:30 pm.:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=important_updates

Delay - Explorer of the Seas

May 6, 2010

10:00 a.m. E.S.T

Explorer of the Seas’ arrival to Cape Liberty has been unexpectedly delayed, and will now arrive in Bayonne, New Jersey on Saturday, May 8 later than originally scheduled.

We ask that guests who are scheduled to sail on Explorer of the Seas on Saturday, May 8 not arrive at the port before 7:30 p.m., but no later than 10:00 p.m. The port will remain closed to boarding guests until 7:30 pm. Guests who arrive at the port before 7:30 p.m. will not be allowed to enter the port.

The delayed departure is not expected to have an impact on the scheduled itinerary.

Eric

My sentiments exactly. Since the crew members work together in the ship for months at a time, this tragic loss must feel like losing one of their extended families.

Heartfelt prayers to everyone affected by this tragedy.

The crew waitstaff was visibly upset, and a lot of the girl waitstaff was crying. It was really a horrible situation. When the captain and cruise director made their announcements, it was like you got punched in the stomach. :(

Our prayers are with the crew of the Explorer of the Seas and to this young man's family. The crew has lost a member of their family. We don't know why and we aren't in this person's shoes so we aren't to judge. Our prayers are needed.

I am not sure how they are managing in the dining room. I am sure the crew is doing the best they can manage under these circumstances.

Hey Cris! Aren't you sailing soon on Explorer, if I'm not mistaken? :) In any event, it was an assistant waiter on our dining room level 5. Apparently his supervisor was giving him a hard time, and he could no longer take it. Very, very sad. :(

The crew waitstaff was visibly upset, and a lot of the girl waitstaff was crying. It was really a horrible situation. When the captain and cruise director made their announcements, it was like you got punched in the stomach. :(

Hey Cris! Aren't you sailing soon on Explorer, if I'm not mistaken? :) In any event, it was an assistant waiter on our dining room level 5. Apparently his supervisor was giving him a hard time, and he could no longer take it. Very, very sad. :(

Hi Christy,

Were you on this sailing? We know another couple that was on it too. I know what you mean about a punch in the stomach. Same thing happened to us when we were on the Brilliance........a young kid, Miquel, from Portugul jumped around 5:30 in the morning! He was also a waiter in the dining room and the crew was so upset. Such a sad situation.

I'll answer for Cris......actually she's sailing on Thursday and so are we!!!!!

Besides the sadness on the cruise I hope you enjoyed the cruise and had a good time before that happened.

Patty

Sorry to hear about the crew member. Its a real downer for the end of your cruise. How are you Christy and Patty? Havent talked to either of you in awhile. Patty the baby in my sigy is Kristin and Jays!

Sorry to hear about the crew member. Its a real downer for the end of your cruise. How are you Christy and Patty? Havent talked to either of you in awhile. Patty the baby in my sigy is Kristin and Jays!

Hi Dawn,

Your right.....I haven't seen you on here in quite a while. Wow, the girls got big...........all 3 are adorable!!!! We have a Nicholas too!! LOL He's 10 already!

Patty

Archived