Does your waiter learn your name?

JerseyDude

On our first two Celebrity cruises, our MDR waiters learned our names and preferences. However, on our last two Celebrity cruises, while very professional, our waiters did not make any attempt to “personalize” our service. While it was still very good service, we were a bit let down that we didn’t enjoy the same special treatment that we had come to expect based on our first two experiences.

Therefore, I wonder which of the following has been your experience based on week long Traditional MDR Celebrity dining:

A. Has your waiter normally learned your name?

B. Have you normally just gotten friendly service without trying to learn your name?

C. Has the personalization varied from cruise to cruise (i.e., luck of draw of who you get as a waiter)?

I want to make sure we have realistic expectations for our upcoming Celebrity cruise and welcome feedback on your experiences.

If this were set up as a poll, I would probably check C.

However, on the vast majority of our cruises, our waiter/waitress did learn our names and address us by them. Maybe 2 or 3 times (out of 22). But either way our names had no bearing on the service we received. Granted it may have been more personalized, but one of the best waiters we had never used our names and the worst one (different line) always did.

We returned from a fantastic 11 night cruise on the Mercury last month. Our waiter, Reygun knew the names of all six of us by the end of the first night and used them every day. He was maybe the best waiter we've had. He has since transferred to the Eclipse which he was very excited about as its considered a great honor to be asked to be part of an inaugural crew.

Our waiter on the Constellation last year was wonderful as well. Very attentive and remembered everyone's preferences, but did not ask for names.

This was our first Celebrity cruise & I found the wait staff very personal. After our first meal we were Miss Cheri Mr (insert dad's first name) & Mrs (insert mother's first name). After a few meals, the wine steward didn't come, realizing we didn't order wine at meals, & the Pepper guy didn't come either for fresh ground pepper.

A few times, dad decided he wanted to eat at the buffet so the staff asked where he was, & seemed concerned.

I saw our waiter a few times (they rotate during the day to breakfast & lunch buffets) & he remembered me every time. Also, the servers at Cava Cove saw me coming & had my 2 chocolate croissants waiting for me!

On this latest cruise, our waiter didn't use our names; other cruises, they have. Also, none of the waiters used the peppermills (never saw one in the MDR, in fact); first time this happened. No Baked Alaska parade, either. The waiters were very good, otherwise, but not the best and not the worst we've experienced.

Art

On this latest cruise, our waiter didn't use our names; other cruises, they have. Also, none of the waiters used the peppermills (never saw one in the MDR, in fact); first time this happened. No Baked Alaska parade, either. The waiters were very good, otherwise, but not the best and not the worst we've experienced.

Art

Interesting, Art. Our experience in March on the Equinox is that none of the above was true; we were greeted by name each night, the big peppermills were used ( as well as the ones on the table), and there was a baked Alaska Parade.

Curious.

On HAL not only used our names but on the boarding day, about 2 years latter, our old dinning room waiter remember me and found my wife to show her to the table in the Lideo. The skill is declining but it is not dead.

On a recent Equinox cruise I saw a waiter we had more than two years ago. When he saw us he greated us by name, recalled a past discussion and wished us a great cruise.Amazing!

I find if you are nice to your waiter, he or she will be extra nice to you. I can't remember a time when I wasn't called miss Pat. We even have one favorite waiter that remembers us from ship to ship. We first had him on Constellation, then we saw him on Solstice, and this last time on Solstice he was there again. He always drops by our table to say hello even when he is not our waiter. He was supposed to go to Eclipse but he was hoping they would follow his request to stay closer to his family in Chile. They were suffering from the earthquake and he was always worried for them. Sailing on Celebrity is like seeing family again and again.

Pat

I find if you are nice to your waiter, he or she will be extra nice to you. I can't remember a time when I wasn't called miss Pat. We even have one favorite waiter that remembers us from ship to ship. We first had him on Constellation, then we saw him on Solstice, and this last time on Solstice he was there again. He always drops by our table to say hello even when he is not our waiter. He was supposed to go to Eclipse but he was hoping they would follow his request to stay closer to his family in Chile. They were suffering from the earthquake and he was always worried for them. Sailing on Celebrity is like seeing family again and again.

Pat

Very well said!

We have found (in our almost 50 cruises) that some waiters call us by name and others do not. Some are friendly and some are very stiff. None of these things seemed to have any bearing on whether we had good service or not. I definitely agree that whether our names are used or not or whether the waiter has a sense of humor or not, we always treat all staff members with respect. They have hard jobs with long hours and heavy trays. I couldn't possibly do their job, and I admire them for the fine job they do.

No one remember our names on Solstice April 11.

We were on Oasis in Jan. and our waitstaff and room steward did.

While it's not a biggie, it is nice when they take the time to do it.:)

On our first few Celebrity Cruises back in 2004 and 2005 this seemed like a standard practice. In fact we'll always remember boarding our second Celebrity cruise in 2005 and passing the waiter from our first, a year earlier, in the buffet area and he stopped and greeted us by name!

We've missed this personal touch the past few years but it seems to have resurfaced on our last cruise. Our waiter learned all of our names by the second or third day and referred to us by name after that - he didn't always get them straight at our table of 8 but we appreciated the effort. He also made it a point of checking with each person a few minutes after we got our entrees to see if it they were Ok - another gesture which we appreciated. I don't know if this was his own practice, or part of the procedures on the ship or new procedures fleet wide.

Our waiters generally remember our names. Our last cruise we were at a table for 2, very close to the next table for 2. My DH is Mike, the table next to us were Mike and Mary. My sea pass card omitted my complete name, Mary Lou, and only had Mary. Made it very easy for the waiters, assistants, etc.

Mary Lou

Celebrity waiters ,ass't waiters & cabin stewarts imo are the best . Having sailed 20 times with Celebrity we have found that a real effort is made to call us by name . Once in awhile they slip ;however ,service never slips . I love to tip extra for the recognition by name as it is part of excellent level of service . We laways remember & call the staff by name .We feel it is important to do .

We were on the Summit last summer when I ran into a waiter we had almost TWO YEARS earlier on the Zenith (Danny). He not only greeted me by name, he also asked about my husband (who was not with me at the time) by name! Quite impressive.

Could be that he remembered us because DH passed out in the Zenith DR one formal night (long story with a happy ending) and was taken out on a stretcher...

We also have been warmly greeted, by name, by various CC hostesses. It's part of the fun for us.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I'm glad to read that many have continued to receive personalized service. Since my experience was similar to Larry's I was pleased to read of the positive recent experience. I also realize that I should not expect this from every waiter (but I can always expect very good service in any event).

While my waiter did not attempt to learn my name on my last cruise, I was very surprised to meet a Sommelier we had on a cruise five years prior and he greeted me by my first name ... how he could remember is truly amazing!

Our last cruise was on HAL and the greeter in the buffet made it a point to know everyone's name who took a tray. It was really quite amazing as he would greet anyone who walked into the buffet by first name.

On our first two Celebrity cruises, our MDR waiters learned our names and preferences. However, on our last two Celebrity cruises, while very professional, our waiters did not make any attempt to “personalize” our service. While it was still very good service, we were a bit let down that we didn’t enjoy the same special treatment that we had come to expect based on our first two experiences.

Therefore, I wonder which of the following has been your experience based on week long Traditional MDR Celebrity dining:

A. Has your waiter normally learned your name?

B. Have you normally just gotten friendly service without trying to learn your name?

C. Has the personalization varied from cruise to cruise (i.e., luck of draw of who you get as a waiter)?

I want to make sure we have realistic expectations for our upcoming Celebrity cruise and welcome feedback on your experiences.

I would vote "C". If I can remember, on the longer cruises they would remember our names. Last week we took a 7 dayer on the Solstice, and there was no name recognition. But we got great service!

We had a waiter on the Infinity, that we encountered a year later and he still called us by name! We have had recognition by sight with many of the waiters as well.

I think this is a special "talent" that the waiters are taught?

And, it really does make us feel special!

Archived