Single Supplement - Was there a change?

My DW and I have booked a cruise on the Pacific Princess for July 2011. My dad is thinking about joining us and going as a single person in a cabin. I told him that he would probably have to pay double the single person fare. However, when I went into the Princess site and looked at the rates for this cruise, I noted that the fare for one person in an outside view cabin was only 160% of the single person fare. It remains 200% for a balcony or higher level cabin.

I haven't visited these boards for awhile, so this may have already been discussed. I was under the impression that only inside cabins had the 160% single supplement fare. Just for kicks, I looked at this same cruise for July 2010 and noted that the outside cabins were 200% for the single supplement. Did Princess change something or is this just a temporary come on to get bookings? Thanks.

It really varies from cruise to cruise. Flash fares are almost always 200% and it seems the lower the fares go, the more likely they are 200%. Balconies and above are always 200% with Princess.

The elite lines often have a lower single supplement but they are still more expensive. This year, Cruise West is waiving single supplement on several of their sailings but still $$$.

My DW and I have booked a cruise on the Pacific Princess for July 2011. My dad is thinking about joining us and going as a single person in a cabin. I told him that he would probably have to pay double the single person fare. However, when I went into the Princess site and looked at the rates for this cruise, I noted that the fare for one person in an outside view cabin was only 160% of the single person fare. It remains 200% for a balcony or higher level cabin.

I haven't visited these boards for awhile, so this may have already been discussed. I was under the impression that only inside cabins had the 160% single supplement fare. Just for kicks, I looked at this same cruise for July 2010 and noted that the outside cabins were 200% for the single supplement. Did Princess change something or is this just a temporary come on to get bookings? Thanks.

If I am not mistaken, it all depends on the cruise you are looking to book as a solo. Some still offer the 160% for inside and outside staterooms and 200% for higher categories. I know of no way (or have I read of a way) to find a 'deal' on Princess where this added amount is waved for solo travelers.

Its a ripoff no matter if it is 160% or 200%! I never pay single supplements.You need to research and find cruises which waive the fee!:D
No, it's not fair but I have never seen a Princess cruise which waived the single supplement. I cruise as a single in a cabin and to me, the supplement is the cost of cruising. Sometimes, I'll get an email from someone on my roll call saying their friend wants to come on the cruise and I'd love to have them in my cabin to share the cost. Actually, I wouldn't. I have to reply that while I appreciate their thinking of me, I cruise single because that's my preference.

No its not new, as stated it all depends on the Cat/cruise.
Right. I take several cruises a year and the single supplement has always been lower for lower category cabins, higher for balcony cabins. Sometimes the percentage changes for the lower category cabins but it's pretty much always 200% for balcony or better.

Its always been 200% supplement for category C and above on cruises I have booked for solo occupancy . Always less below that category.....:)

Well, that may be your experience but it certainly isn't true universally. On most cruises (in fact, every one I've priced out for this summer), oceanviews, obstructed oceanviews, and insides have all been at 200%.

I'd kill for a 160% supplement at this point! -- OP, you should definitely go for it quickly before it disappears!

I've gotten inside and outside cabins for as low as 130% when I initially book the cruise. These are often off-season cruises (November-December). I don't think I've ever seen a balcony below 200%. However, as the cruise price drops for double occupancy, my price for single occupancy never drops. By the time the ship is filling up, my price may be closer to 200% while people in double occupancy get a much better deal. While I enjoy cruising with friends and sometimes it's fun to share a cabin, I've gotten to like having my own cabin, too. It's worth the extra money if I can afford it.

It varies by itinerary. I usually cruise FF on Princess (one of the least obstructed OV's) and for my next three cruises, it's 200% for Alaska but 150% and then 160% for the subsequent two repositioning cruises.

Sadly, the comment about solo pricing never coming down when there are reductions for the double occupancy rate also seems to be true.

But I don't share living quarters at home so I'm definitely not sharing a single room when I'm vacationing ... and don't even talk to me about sharing a bathroom ...

Archived