How Much To Tip At Pier

Luvtoeat

We were standing beneath a pillar that stated that tipping was not required while the guy shifting the bag from the sidewalk three feet to the cart was demanding $3.00 per bag. :cool:

We were standing beneath a pillar that stated that tipping was not required while the guy shifting the bag from the sidewalk three feet to the cart was demanding $3.00 per bag. :cool:

We usually tip a dollar or two per bag and know (as per the sign) that it is not required. Those guys can be really aggressive sometimes, can't they? They are not X employees, are they? Don't they work for the port?

They work for the ports and they are VERY well paid.

We tip $5 for three bags - it's a pleasure, if they're nice. It seems like we're always in a good mood when we are going on a cruise -- :rolleyes:

I'll always tip maybe $2 a bag as well. In fact, I think I'm more generous at the port than I am at the airport if I ever have to use a skycap. I don't want my luggage to be the one that "accidentally" falls into the water and then I'm screwed for the entire cruise!

In U.S. ports if you are just handing your bags over as you enter the terminal, $0. All they do is put the luggage on a cart, push the cart a few yards and other people take it over from there. There are several people who end up handling your luggage between handing it over and it arriving at your stateroom. The ones taking your luggage do the least work and are getting paid the most. In U.S. ports they are unionized longshoremen - many earn near or over six figures without tips. In some ports they are not permitted to take tips (but they still take them and call them "donations."). All U.S. ports have signs saying that tipping them is optional or not permitted (depending on the port). IMHO save that money to go towards extra tips to the crew on the ship; they work much harder, much longer hours, and get paid $50 a month instead of $50 an hour in salary.

My DH feels the same as Gonzo. He won't tip someone to turn around and put our suitcase on a cart. :rolleyes: He HAS handed a few singles to the X staff member who puts our luggage at our door, if we catch him, tho. He's the one who made some effort.

In U.S. ports if you are just handing your bags over as you enter the terminal, $0. All they do is put the luggage on a cart, push the cart a few yards and other people take it over from there. There are several people who end up handling your luggage between handing it over and it arriving at your stateroom. The ones taking your luggage do the least work and are getting paid the most. In U.S. ports they are unionized longshoremen - many earn near or over six figures without tips. In some ports they are not permitted to take tips (but they still take them and call them "donations."). All U.S. ports have signs saying that tipping them is optional or not permitted (depending on the port). IMHO save that money to go towards extra tips to the crew on the ship; they work much harder, much longer hours, and get paid $50 a month instead of $50 an hour in salary.

I don't know, but I always tip working people, more so when I'm on vacation. I also don't know whether the pier-side handlers are Longshoreman or not. But, if they are, I imagine that they are NOT highly skilled or tenured ones. Wouldn't the more skilled ones be working at more complex tasks? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Here's what I just found about average Longshoreman salaries:

>>The average salary of a longshoreman depends on experience, according to PayScale.com. Longshoremen with one to four years of experience earn $19.57 to $29.48 an hour, as of March 2010. Those with five to nine years' experience earn $17.69 to $34.18 an hour. Longshoremen with 20 or more years of experience can make up to $73.70 an hour, according to PayScale.com.

Source:

PayScale: Longshoreman Salary<<

Gonzo, what's your source of information?

--Rich

I don't know, but I always tip working people, more so when I'm on vacation. I also don't know whether the pier-side handlers are Longshoreman or not. But, if they are, I imagine that they are NOT highly skilled or tenured ones. Wouldn't the more skilled ones be working at more complex tasks? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Here's what I just found about average Longshoreman salaries:

>>The average salary of a longshoreman depends on experience, according to PayScale.com. Longshoremen with one to four years of experience earn $19.57 to $29.48 an hour, as of March 2010. Those with five to nine years' experience earn $17.69 to $34.18 an hour. Longshoremen with 20 or more years of experience can make up to $73.70 an hour, according to PayScale.com.

Source:

PayScale: Longshoreman Salary<<

Gonzo, what's your source of information?

--Rich

Call Port of Miami customer service. In Miami their pay ranges from $40 to $90 per hour ($40 to $60 regular pay, $60 to $90 if overtime). They are unionized longshoremen in all U.S. ports. And what do you mean by you always tip working people? I have never heard of someone tipping all working people. There are some people who are meant to be tipped (i.e. waiters, cab drivers, hotel maids, skycaps at airports, hair salon stylists etc.). There are many working people not meant to be tipped who perform similar work (because they are fully salaried), i.e. city bus drivers, flight attendants on airplanes, people who offload your luggage at airports, dental hygienists etc. So if you tip all working people, I assume you are tipping the several other people involved in getting your luggage from the pier to your stateroom? The person taking you luggage at the terminal has the smallest role and does the least work!

Call Port of Miami customer service. In Miami their pay ranges from $40 to $90 per hour ($40 to $60 regular pay, $60 to $90 if overtime). They are unionized longshoremen in all U.S. ports. And what do you mean by you always tip working people? I have never heard of someone tipping all working people. There are some people who are meant to be tipped (i.e. waiters, cab drivers, hotel maids, skycaps at airports, hair salon stylists etc.). There are many working people not meant to be tipped who perform similar work (because they are fully salaried), i.e. city bus drivers, flight attendants on airplanes, people who offload your luggage at airports, dental hygienists etc. So if you tip all working people, I assume you are tipping the several other people involved in getting your luggage from the pier to your stateroom? The person taking you luggage at the terminal has the smallest role and does the least work!

Maybe you need to do some more research than just a google search ! Longshoremen and baggage handlers are two very different positions. Longshoremen are authorisd to work within the port confines and usually have specific credentials (forklift operations, security clearances etc) to work behind the gate. They are the ones responsible for on and off loading all sorts of things from the ship and onto the port. The people who you interact with when dropping off your luggage are a different job altogether. They are simply baggage handlers, they load bags into cages and then they are forwarded to the port authority personnell for processing prior to the longshore team who actually loads them onto the ship.

Common sense is necessary here; there folks are not skilled labor, they work outside all day loading peoples luggage and tagging bags. Longshoremen are uniformed differently, use safety gear and are completly different (and skilled).

I usually tip 5-10 dollars for all of our luggage. Makes sense to me, these guys are the ones who ensure your luggage is loaded where it needs to be, never wanna take a risk with those. Just like at curbside at the airport.

I really dislike it when people discount the hard labor of others and make as assumption like there "5 or 6 figure income"..please they don't people big bucks for simple work , it doesnt work like that anywhere in the world. Someone who loads your luggage onto a metal cage and hands out luggage tags is not racking in the big dough.

I don't take it if I can't carry it. It arrives and leaves the cabin with me. Just have seen too much luggage lost or delayed.

Are you able to carry on you and your wife's formal wear in such a manner. This would be virtually impossible for us vis-a-vis my wife's packing endeavors.

On TA rented jacket and pants. Easy to pack the rest. I "recycle" some items at end of cruise if my DW just has to have another _________. We've learned over the years that we tended to take things we really didn't need. Also discovered that ports actually have stores if we absolutely need something. Now if I could only convince DW that I don't need to take less so that she can take more. Guess I'll keep losing that one :) Should add that Elite laundry perks also help.

Maybe you need to do some more research than just a google search ! Longshoremen and baggage handlers are two very different positions. Longshoremen are authorisd to work within the port confines and usually have specific credentials (forklift operations, security clearances etc) to work behind the gate. They are the ones responsible for on and off loading all sorts of things from the ship and onto the port. The people who you interact with when dropping off your luggage are a different job altogether. They are simply baggage handlers, they load bags into cages and then they are forwarded to the port authority personnell for processing prior to the longshore team who actually loads them onto the ship.

Common sense is necessary here; there folks are not skilled labor, they work outside all day loading peoples luggage and tagging bags. Longshoremen are uniformed differently, use safety gear and are completly different (and skilled).

I usually tip 5-10 dollars for all of our luggage. Makes sense to me, these guys are the ones who ensure your luggage is loaded where it needs to be, never wanna take a risk with those. Just like at curbside at the airport.

I really dislike it when people discount the hard labor of others and make as assumption like there "5 or 6 figure income"..please they don't people big bucks for simple work , it doesnt work like that anywhere in the world. Someone who loads your luggage onto a metal cage and hands out luggage tags is not racking in the big dough.

They are absolutely unionized longshoremen. Call the Port Authority and ask for yourself. This is factual information - not something from a google search.

I look at it this way. I'm handing over my luggage that I want to get to my cabin. I want a happy handler. We usually have 4 bags at most (plus carryon) $3 a bag is worth it to me....we're talking a difference of $ 8 max here.

I look at it this way. I'm handing over my luggage that I want to get to my cabin. I want a happy handler. We usually have 4 bags at most (plus carryon) $3 a bag is worth it to me....we're talking a difference of $ 8 max here.

Yeah, happy handler would be an appropriate term. If everyone tipped them $3 a bag they'd be pulling in over $1,000 for four hours work. Heck, maybe even ecstatic handler would be a better term.

Yeah, happy handler would be an appropriate term. If everyone tipped them $3 a bag they'd be pulling in over $1,000 for four hours work. Heck, maybe even ecstatic handler would be a better term.

Haven't been on CC for quite awhile. We're sailing on the Summit this summer so thought I'd check in on what's going on. Can't believe you are still hounding people who tip.

OP, we usually check 3 bags and tip $5.00. We sailed out of Miami earlier this month and I believe the signage comments on tipping were in accordance to the service you receive.

Gonzo, please give it a rest. If people want to tip, let them. Aren't there bigger fish to fry?

Haven't been on CC for quite awhile. We're sailing on the Summit this summer so thought I'd check in on what's going on. Can't believe you are still hounding people who tip.

OP, we usually check 3 bags and tip $5.00. We sailed out of Miami earlier this month and I believe the signage comments on tipping were in accordance to the service you receive.

Gonzo, please give it a rest. If people want to tip, let them. Aren't there bigger fish to fry?

Jeka, you are the pot calling the kettle black. Just click on your name and read some of your posts -- you are the most negative person on these boards. Some of us thought you went away for good!!!

I enjoy Gonzo70's posts. He puts out good, positive information.

I enjoy Gonzo70's posts. He puts out good, positive information.

I'm always amazed at the brilliance of the people with whom I agree and the shallowness of people who don't think like I do.. :D

Archived