How Much To Tip At Pier

Luvtoeat

...if being a porter at the pier is such a lucrative job, why aren't there more posters from these boards submitting an application?;)

Talk is obviously cheaper than what they pay these highly skilled workers!!! NOT

Just spoke with a friend who works in the industry. Luggage handlers, Check in agents and security personnell at the pier are not only the lower jobs, however they are also seasonal in some cases, part-time/temporary jobs, and really are the runt of the jobs in the crusing industry. Pay is usually $20-25/hr, average hours worked 10-15 per week ! Sorry, I don't see where one could get a six figure income out of this one.

Obviously some people would rather conjure up a excuse to rather not tip than do. Thats your own problem. But don't go around selling the fact that they are making a highly lucrative wage when they are doing temp or pt UNSKILLED work.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night !

...if being a porter at the pier is such a lucrative job, why aren't there more posters from these boards submitting an application?;)

Because you need connections to land one! They are highly coveted positions.

Just spoke with a friend who works in the industry. Luggage handlers, Check in agents and security personnell at the pier are not only the lower jobs, however they are also seasonal in some cases, part-time/temporary jobs, and really are the runt of the jobs in the crusing industry. Pay is usually $20-25/hr, average hours worked 10-15 per week ! Sorry, I don't see where one could get a six figure income out of this one.

LOL. The "porters" at cruise terminals are not working for the cruise industry. They are employed by the International Longshoremen's Association. Rather than asking your "friend" ask the cruise line and/or the Port Authority and get some facts.

LOL. The "porters" at cruise terminals are not working for the cruise industry. They are employed by the International Longshoremen's Association. Rather than asking your "friend" ask the cruise line and/or the Port Authority and get some facts.

Fact: They are not employed by the International Longshoremen's Association. The ILA is a union representing the employees. They work for various port employers.

Who employees them or how much they make isn't really relevant to the question. The OP sought advice on tipping. My answer is: Do as you like. Tipping is a purely personal matter.

I too feel that tipping is a very personal matter. However, I usually tip 3.00 a bag as my bags are extremely heavy and I know someones back will be feeling it no matter how much they are paid. This is what I feel is right for me to do....

Fact: They are not employed by the International Longshoremen's Association. The ILA is a union representing the employees. They work for various port employers.

Its OK, some people enjoy building up stories and defending them , makes them feel better about being cheap. They are also the ones who whine the most about service standards, and cry the hardest when they loose their luggage. Next time I see the luggage porter, Ill be sure to congratulate him on his 6 figure income, heck , making more than I do, he should be cruising half the year and schlepping luggage the other half! LOL

Its OK, some people enjoy building up stories and defending them , makes them feel better about being cheap. They are also the ones who whine the most about service standards, and cry the hardest when they loose their luggage. Next time I see the luggage porter, Ill be sure to congratulate him on his 6 figure income, heck , making more than I do, he should be cruising half the year and schlepping luggage the other half! LOL

I am not cheap in the least and nor am I building up any story. I just do not tip people who are not meant to be tipped. Am I also cheap because I do not tip the Captain $3 per port or the Cruise Director $2 per activitiy? The chef $2 per course? I have never once whined about service standards and I have never had any luggage lost or damaged during a cruise. If you want to freely give away your money to fully salaried people, be my guest. Leave them in your will for all I care. But don't be passing judgments on those of us that that opt not to. There is a reason the U.S. ports having signs saying no to tip the porters or that tipping is optional - they are already being very well compensated for the task of putting your luggage on a cart and pushing the cart a few yards (where other people take over).

If you want to think I am "building" a story, fine, but at least take the time to call the Port Authority customer service department before you make disparaging comments; they will confirm to you that what I have said on this thread is true.

Advocating that people consider taking the money they were going to use to tip the porters, and instead use it as extra tips towards the crew on the ship is hardly being cheap. The crew on the ships works much longer hours than the porters at cruise terminal and they earn in one month in salary what the porters earn in one hour.

I am not cheap in the least and nor am I building up any story. I just do not tip people who are not meant to be tipped. Am I also cheap because I do not tip the Captain $3 per port or the Cruise Director $2 per activitiy? The chef $2 per course? I have never once whined about service standards and I have never had any luggage lost or damaged during a cruise. If you want to freely give away your money to fully salaried people, be my guest. Leave them in your will for all I care. But don't be passing judgments on those of us that that opt not to. There is a reason the U.S. ports having signs saying no to tip the porters or that tipping is optional - they are already being very well compensated for the task of putting your luggage on a cart and pushing the cart a few yards (where other people take over).

If you want to think I am "building" a story, fine, but at least take the time to call the Port Authority customer service department before you make disparaging comments; they will confirm to you that what I have said on this thread is true.

Advocating that people consider taking the money they were going to use to tip the porters, and instead use it as extra tips towards the crew on the ship is hardly being cheap. The crew on the ships works much longer hours than the porters at cruise terminal and they earn in one month in salary what the porters earn in one hour.

I actually got off the phone with the ILA, the ILA told me the same thing I have known all along. ILA respresents Longshoremen who are responsible for the safe trasnport of any and all material on and off the ship. They are certified to operate machinery and have skilled knowledge in the transport of goods on and off a vessel. Perhaps not frequently known to many cruise passengers, however much more associated with container ships- they are the ones who operate the cranes, etc. Also, in yesteryear's the would be the ones skilled to do this manually using specific knots and lifting methods. It is a historic job with a large sense of tradition and pride, especially seeing as how prior to 50-60 years ago it was the primary method of transport of not only goods but also people and livestock. Even today it is critical to our economy.

Sadly, the kind lady on the phone agreed that those poor slugs hauling luggage out of cars , taxi's and coach bussess, do not share the same ranks as a highly skilled and experience longshoremen. Sorry :confused:

Jeka, you are the pot calling the kettle black. Just click on your name and read some of your posts -- you are the most negative person on these boards. Some of us thought you went away for good!!!

I enjoy Gonzo70's posts. He puts out good, positive information.

Interestingly enough, I long ago stopped the wise guy stuff.(probably a year) Realized what I thought was witty was sometimes anything but to posters and more importantly, I wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings, something I guess you don't care about.

Should I be flattered that some of you noticed my not posting and actually discussed it? I truly hope this isn't the case.

Sadly, the kind lady on the phone agreed that those poor slugs hauling luggage out of cars , taxi's and coach buses, do not share the same ranks as a highly skilled and experience longshoremen. Sorry :confused:

The guys who are under discussion do not take anything out of any car, taxi or bus.

Bus drivers generally keep the passengers on board until the driver unloads the luggage for which he gets tipped, the taxi driver unloads the taxi for which he gets tipped. The luggage gets moved three feet from in front of a rack where it is placed by the passenger or taxi/bus driver. The tip is a shakedown paid by people who despite the sign, feel that unless they do pay they will never see their luggage in the same state again. The tip is more than the crew on board will ever see for moving your suitcase from the handling/boarding area to your cabin door. We resentfully pay for fear, not because the guys deserve it.

The guys who are under discussion do not take anything out of any car, taxi or bus.

Bus drivers generally keep the passengers on board until the driver unloads the luggage for which he gets tipped, the taxi driver unloads the taxi for which he gets tipped. The luggage gets moved three feet from in front of a rack where it is placed by the passenger or taxi/bus driver. The tip is a shakedown paid by people who despite the sign, feel that unless they do pay they will never see their luggage in the same state again. The tip is more than the crew on board will ever see for moving your suitcase from the handling/boarding area to your cabin door. We resentfully pay for fear, not because the guys deserve it.

I'll give you bus and taxi, but many a bag has been removed from the back of our car by the porters over the years. Maybe that is why I'm inclined to tip.

I'll give you bus and taxi, but many a bag has been removed from the back of our car by the porters over the years. Maybe that is why I'm inclined to tip.

Yes, sometimes porters do come to people's private cars to assist them. If you have a porter do something extra for you, such as carrying your luggage out of your car for you, I would tip under those circumstances. Likewise if I had a porter carry my luggage for me at the end of the cruise out to a car or taxi, I'd tip.

What I (and the poster whom you quoted) are referencing is when you simply hand your luggage to a porter as you are about to enter the cruise terminal. You are pretty much required to do this, so you are not having them perform any extra task/duty. All they do with your luggage at that point is put it on a cart (that they have right there with them) and push the cart a few yards. They are already being paid well for this and and no tip is warranted.

Nobody will likely stop you from tipping them if you want to (though occasionally the porters do refuse tips in ports where they are not permitted to accept tips; other times they take them anyways and call them a "donation" rather than a tip). But nobody should feel they have to tip or are expected to tip for handing over their luggage as they enter the cruise terminal in a U.S. port and certainly nobody should be bullied into tipping by a rogue porter.

Porters have always taken the bags out of the trunk for us,maybe because we are of the elderly group.

When our youngest son got married 4 years ago, we sent them on a cruise as a wedding gift. At the end of the cruise when they claimed their luggage in Miami, a porter asked them if they needed help. Being naive, our son asked how much they charged and the man told him $20 which my son gave him so they wouldn't have to manuever their luggage through the line. We had no idea this happened until the other week when the subject of tipping came up so we told him that in the future a much smaller tip would suffice because these guys are getting paid in addition to whatever tips they get.

Porters have always taken the bags out of the trunk for us,maybe because we are of the elderly group.

That's very nice of them and I have seen them do it in Vancouver as well. However, in FLL I have had them stand back until either the cab driver or I have taken the bags right up to the loading cage and then have them hold their hand or tip. That all said, it is part of the cost of a cruise and we give them $1/bag and round it up to $5. I find the most friendly and helpful porters to be in San Pedro. (and yes, before someone flames me I know that San Pedro is not a Celebrity port.)

Having sailed out of Manhattan 3x, the not- so- subtle hint that is employed at this port by the baggage handlers is keeping a few bills in one hand just so that the "message" is imparted to the embarking patrons. I usually spend my winters in New Zealand and have visited a few sheep ranches, but the fleecing undertaken in NYC is conducted in a more audacious manner.

On our last cruise out of Puerto Rico, we tipped the hotel porter who put the bags in the cab, the cab driver who took the bags out and left them at the curb, and then the dock worker who put them on a luggage cart. That's a lot of tipping in such a short time.

I like Math Guy's comment about "fleecing". Touche. (sorry, don't know how to put on the accent)

Yes, sometimes porters do come to people's private cars to assist them. If you have a porter do something extra for you, such as carrying your luggage out of your car for you, I would tip under those circumstances. Likewise if I had a porter carry my luggage for me at the end of the cruise out to a car or taxi, I'd tip.

At last we agree on something. To be honest, the porters in Miami and the Solstice/Equinox/Oasis pier in Ft Lauderdale are alway very helpful and deserve a tip. We've cruised from Boston a few times and I do think they are longshoremen and do this for a short period, but still tip them. It payed off last year. One of our tags fell off our bag when we were let off at the pier. Our luggage disappeared very quickly, but fortunately we found our porter, gave him the tag and description of our bag and it arrived at our cabin door with tag stapled on. He apparently remembered we tipped him and he came through for us. Well worth the 5 bucks.

For our cruise out of NYC in the fall of '09, we had 2 bags each. Karen flagged one guy down and I got another. I gave each $20. Did they do antyhing that I couldn't do? No, but what is $40 - 2 sodas on board? ;-)

Okay, it was $80 total as I gave 2 different guys $20 each when we returned, so I was out like 4 sodas! ;-)

Treat folks like politicians is my motto, a little bit of tipping greases the wheels in your favor. And if not, tar and feather in the incumbent! ;-)

Derek

For our cruise out of NYC in the fall of '09, we had 2 bags each. Karen flagged one guy down and I got another. I gave each $20. Did they do antyhing that I couldn't do? No, but what is $40 - 2 sodas on board? ;-)

Okay, it was $80 total as I gave 2 different guys $20 each when we returned, so I was out like 4 sodas! ;-)

Treat folks like politicians is my motto, a little bit of tipping greases the wheels in your favor. And if not, tar and feather in the incumbent! ;-)

Derek

You've got to be kidding! Correct? Either that or you have more money than...

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Can someone explain to me how exactly the bags work at Civitavecchia? Are the porters there the equivalent of what you might find curbside at an airport or are they literally right at the entrance to the boat. And do you see your bags actually get on the ship? I am completely neurotic about this so I want to eliminate any unncessary layers with the baggage :).

Should I assume bringing bags onboard yourself is out of the question???

Can someone explain to me how exactly the bags work at Civitavecchia? Are the porters there the equivalent of what you might find curbside at an airport or are they literally right at the entrance to the boat. And do you see your bags actually get on the ship? I am completely neurotic about this so I want to eliminate any unncessary layers with the baggage :).

Should I assume bringing bags onboard yourself is out of the question???

The porters are right there, curbside. You take your bags out of the bus/taxi, and the porters load them into the normal baggage carts that you see all cruise ships using. When they fill up, they are rolled over to a holding area to await loading onto the ship. I never actually saw that process. Once the bags were loaded onto the carts, we never saw them again until they were delivered to our stateroom. I felt pretty comfortable with the process. I didn't see anybody tipping the porters, and they didn't seem to give any eye contact or body language requesting a tip.

I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't read any threads concerning missing luggage at Civitavecchia -- only stuff missing when loaded onto the bus leaving the port to the airport.

Archived