Lost Camera - Any Arubans Here?

I'm seeing this story all over the place today. It's in our local paper here in Akron, and I saw in on Yahoo also.

One thing about Yahoo....did you read the comments at the bottom? Most are good, but there are some real morons commenting. There was one comment that said "The finder of the camera should be killed." :eek: :eek: ***** is wrong with people?

The views jumped from 17,000 to 82,000 in 24 hours, so I figured it made news somewhere.

You've really hit the big time now that it's been picked up by AP Paul - I predict the Today show and/or Jay Leno will be calling next!

Let me echo again what others have said, fantastic (and fascinating) work!!!

:D

Wow, a terrific story with a happy ending! What I liked most, though, is that someone cared enough to go out of his way to find the camera's owner.

Paul, thanks for sharing this with us and letting the world know that, yes, there are still good guys out there!

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/camera-survives-ocean-trip-from-aruba-to-key-west-florida/19515606?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl1|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Fcamera-survives-ocean-trip-from-aruba-to-key-west-florida%2F19515606

AOL News has picked up the story...we were in KW

for Memorial w/e...it's a great town with obviously great

people living there! Kudos to Paul...cheers!

Edited by SheilaSailAway

I just read this story in the Ft. Myers FL News Press. Not many people would go to the length you did to find the owner of the camera.

Kudos to you, you are a good person.

I just saw it on aol also

I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere, but how was it determined that the sea turtle encounter happened near Nicaragua?

It was just an estimation based on time. The camera was off Aruba in November, followed the Loop Current, and washed ashore 6 months later in Key West. The turtle video was 2 months in to the journey. My guess was Roatan area.

It says the YouTube video now has over 200,000 hits!

When I checked a little earlier this morning, it was about to hit 500,000. :eek:

Thank you for that link.

One thing about these articles.....I never said I thought the camera was a rotten tomato. Why in the world would I climb down rocks to the water's edge for a rotten tomato? That comment in the AP report had me scratching my head.

Thank you for that link.

One thing about these articles.....I never said I thought the camera was a rotten tomato. Why in the world would I climb down rocks to the water's edge for a rotten tomato? That comment in the AP report had me scratching my head.

I saw the AP link on my AOL homepage this morning.

I thought the fact that they insinuate that you "became" Aquahound to solve the mystery was amusing. Too bad they left out the fact that the camera owner was a member on the same website.

I thought the fact that they insinuate that you "became" Aquahound to solve the mystery was amusing. Too bad they left out the fact that the camera owner was a member on the same website.

Yea, never mind that has been my e-mail name since I bought my first computer in 1997.....a name derived from my first active duty Coast Guard unit where we were called "Sar Dogs." (SAR = Search and Rescue).

The media has been a little reluctant to plug the websites I used. In fact, when I did an Australian radio interview, my one instruction was not to mention brand names or specific websites. The Associated Press picked up the story from right here on Cruise Critic.

What a great thread on the scuba forum as well - the P.Sherman....line was the best - laughed out loud at that post - I don't think people got it!! What a story - good on you.

My 5 year old son loved the P. Sherman reference, and has told all his friends about the cool turtle YouTube video.