I Don't want Shrek

For years people on these boards complained they wanted movies under the stars and now they are getting that. If you don't like it then do something else on the ship or cruise with anouther cruise line. Maybe some people are just set in their ways and to scared to try new things...

I was with up until this point. I far as I am concerned people who want movies under the stars should go sail on Princess. There is no need for RCI to try to copy them. RCI has plenty of unique things all to themselves. We have been dock next to Princess ships when those screens have been going. They are an annoying eye sore. The pool deck will never be the same at night again.

I don't understand why the movies wouldn't be shown in the Aqua Theater? They already have those screens set up, that would get people to the Boardwalk, and they already show movies there.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding the screens were being added only to the pool areas of Freedom Class.

BRAVO!!! Well Said!

Not Really!!!!

Making this into a "youth vs. old" thread doesn't help, because it really is not about age. It is about likes and dislikes of individuals, young, middle, older.

I was with up until this point. I far as I am concerned people who want movies under the stars should go sail on Princess. There is no need for RCI to try to copy them. RCI has plenty of unique things all to themselves. We have been dock next to Princess ships when those screens have been going. They are an annoying eye sore. The pool deck will never be the same at night again.

For the New/Family Cruiser ... choosing a ship/line is a checkmark game. Add Shriek et al and now Disney doesn't have it over us (SO BAD, obviously they will always have better movies and characters).

I really dislike Shriek, but this was about getting their exclusive movies and characters in-line so that they could match NCL and Disney in that category.

They've got big screen TV's dwarfing the Pool ... NOW RC has 'em too.

That seems to be the way of the world and the game plan here. Match up every "GOOD" (that means popular my friends) feature other lines offer so that no one has a check-mark over RC.

I agree that the Oasis is big enough for Shrek and guests but would it not have made more sense to put Dreamworks on 1 of each of the Freedom/Oasis class ships rather than having it on all 4... Then the customer could decide if they wanted them around or not!

I think it will be fun! :D

I'll be on Allure in January with my DH and 13 YO daughter. I chose Allure because I thought it would be a lot of fun and everyone would have a good time.

I think I'm going to be glad I did!

Maybe some people are just set in their ways and to scared to try new things...

Or maybe we want a cruise.....not an amusement park, complete with cartoon characters.....even ones I like!

Well, I really was interested in sailing on the Oasis or Allure, but now I won't. I completely understand that these ships are being marketed to families, but this is too much for me, so I guess if I want to sail RCCL, I will have to settle for the smaller ships until they go this direction and if they do, then that will be the end of RCCL for me.

Having just been on the Oasis, let me tell you all something. The ship is so awesome and so full of energy, the addition of Shrek will make no difference whatsoever in the overall experience. He will fit in perfectly in the Boardwalk neighborhood that already has a carousel and family oriented atmosphere.

Folks, if you decide not to cruise Oasis class because Shrek is on board, you are doing yourself a severe injustice. It will be your loss.

Besides, there have been people on every one of my cruises that I would have glady traded for Shrek.

Well, I really was interested in sailing on the Oasis or Allure, but now I won't. I completely understand that these ships are being marketed to families, but this is too much for me, so I guess if I want to sail RCCL, I will have to settle for the smaller ships until they go this direction and if they do, then that will be the end of RCCL for me.

If you honestly think a shrek character in a designated area of the ship (for probably less than 1% of the cruise) of which you would not be in regardless of who was there, is enough to keep you from sailing on RCCL, you can go ahead and pull my other leg because it plays jingle bells. If in fact true, your reasons reach far beyond a shrek character.

Or maybe we want a cruise.....not an amusement park, complete with cartoon characters.....even ones I like!

Today is your lucky day, as a courtesy I am going to inform you (and others with your like interests) about Celebrity and Holland America, these two lines will be ideal for what you are looking for. Please proceed to the forums associated with these web sites in order to lower your blood pressure.

I'm discouraged by the idea of "shrekasizing" a ship, but even more discouraged by the thought of those huge honkin' television screens being put out over the pool on a ship as lovely as the Liberty of the Seas.

Ship entertainment should be "live" in my opinion. That makes it more special rather than just more of what one can do at home. I have this image in my mind of hypnotized cruise passengers with jaws dropped just staring at a television screen instead of their surroundings, or intermingling with other passengers, or reading a nice book.

I have to say that we sailed on a Disney ship last year which has the huge screen. I probably wouldn't sail Disney again because I think they are way over-priced, but one of my favorite things was watching a movie out there at night while lounging in the hot-tub. It wasn't like anything I could do at home.

I personally think everyone has a right to express their opinions, but those who are saying they are never sailing RCCL again because of this might want to take a wait and see approach. Nothing wrong with expressing concern, but the "we hate RCCL because of this" attitude is what I think some find perplexing.

Its not enough to keep me from booking a cruise or going on one of these ships at this time but when I visit sites that advertise RCL and exotic cruises all over the world I don't expect to see a donkey in front of a mic on the bow of the ship either. I look forward to reading cruise reviews from december on to see the reaction.

donkey-royal-caribbean-ship.jpg.b8bd81e3f7f79c0f4fbbae158822edb7.jpg

The late great coach John Wooden had a legendary incident with his star center Bill Walton who insisted on wearing a beard while Coach Wooden

insisted the players on his team be clean shaven.

What Coach Wooden said was "I greatly admire people who have strong convictions. We will miss you Bill."

You will be missed.

I too am OUTRAGED! First Shrek ... I was "OK" with that (even though I know all the bartenders will serve him first over me ... even though I had been waiting my turn, Shrek will without question cut the line!)... but KUNG FU PANDA as well? Come on RC ... the Beast is HUGE ... how can we expect to get not just seats in the buffet ... But now FOOD with this suckubus not to meantion Shrek's intake.

Furthermore, the Panda is quite violent! What if it throws a very "LOYAL" (ahummmm!) old-timer overboard ... just when with 1 more cruise he would have earned his freebe cruise ... such a shame if that happens.

But if that does happen, the throwing over-board of some grumpy old cruisers stuck in 1987 cruising experiences .... I can understand it completely (especially after reading these boards). IT WILL ONLY MAKE THE CRUISELINE MORE CASH ... no more perks for U ... and the critic has been silenced ... now we are set to dominate the world ...

Today is your lucky day, as a courtesy I am going to inform you (and others with your like interests) about Celebrity and Holland America, these two lines will be ideal for what you are looking for. Please proceed to the forums associated with these web sites in order to lower your blood pressure.

Puhleeze. Up until this post and your previous one, you may have had a point. That is no longer the case. Now you have fallen in with the minions who feel it is fine to go after the poster and not their post/thoughts. Too bad.

Reading through some of J & G's posts, they seem to like RCI quite a bit, just not the idea of the characterization that is to take place.

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of Shrek? For me it is a rude, crude, flatulent and belching creature. Sorry, but I don't want that image on a cruise.

Okay, I'm done stating reasons I don't like this. You can find me on the Celebrity boards....

Puhleeze. Up until this post and your previous one, you may have had a point. That is no longer the case. Now you have fallen in with the minions who feel it is fine to go after the poster and not their post/thoughts. Too bad.

I hope you realize you are the only one fighting with everyone on this thread. Why not just ignore posts you don't agree with? :confused:

Betcha 2 bits BRONCOs ... you'll be posting on the RC message boards before the month is even out ... you have B2B RC cruises booked!

You might not Chatter on the message boards, but your Dollar Cast a certain vote.

What's the harm of Dreamworks coming aboard? They won't be on your next cruises ...

Reading through some of J & G's posts, they seem to like RCI quite a bit, just not the idea of the characterization that is to take place.

You seem to be fighting this one pretty hard there shipmate. I notice your next 3 sailings are on X. Not sure of your motivations to go after this simple addition by RCCl.

To set the record straight, I dont belong to any "group" as I sail them all. I am an advocate of forward thinking and innovation. Obviously the addition of a character series for the younger sailors has been a huge success for NCL and Disney, so it seems like RCCL has gone with the if you cant beat them join them way of thinking and I have no problem with that.

Betcha 2 bits BRONCOs ... you'll be posting on the RC message boards before the month is even out ... you have B2B RC cruises booked!

You might not Chatter on the message boards, but your Dollar Cast a certain vote.

What's the harm of Dreamworks coming aboard? They won't be on your next cruises ...

Okay, you win... here is my RCCL post....

However, I am not going to book future RCCL cruises, so my $$ vote will go somewhere else. If I could cancel w/o penalty I would re-schedule my B2B on Celebrity. However, it is after final payment and everything is booked and paid for, therefore it would be stupid to cancel. Since these characters will not be on my ship, I will go and enjoy my cruise.

Okay, you win... here is my RCCL post....

However, I am not going to book future RCCL cruises, so my $$ vote will go somewhere else. If I could cancel w/o penalty I would re-schedule my B2B on Celebrity. However, it is after final payment and everything is booked and paid for, therefore it would be stupid to cancel. Since these characters will not be on my ship, I will go and enjoy my cruise.

Are you sure? Maybe it is just me but it seems that you haven't had anything good to say about RCI in awhile.

Are you sure? Maybe it is just me but it seems that you haven't had anything good to say about RCI in awhile.

Do you read all my posts? Just curious, because I don't spend my time on CC following every positive or negative thing someone says about a line....

I have had wonderful cruises on RCCL, and I have enjoyed cruising on the smaller ships. I believe the Serenade is one of the most beautiful ships, and I would never book a cruise on her if I did not think so. I am sure I will love my B2B... but DH and I have agreed that we have outgrown RCCL.... it is our choice to move on... We see RCCL as positioning itself for families with kids, and that is not us nor the type of vacation we want. Therefore, they are loosing our business. It is how the market goes.

Archived