Does size matter???

We have been on 16 cruises- NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Costa, and Princess. All good times, all different experiences. I was looking at a RC Liberty of the Seas trip in November, but the size of the ship doesn't appeal to my husband- with over 4,000 passengers it seems daunting. Our last RC voyage was on the Grandeur of the Seas, a much smaller ship. Our last cruise was in January- 2 weeks on the NCL Jewel- around 2,000 people. Does size matter? Is it too crowded? Too many lines? An anonymous experience? On our last cruise we got to know staff and entertainers. The size of the ship has really turned off his desire to go- he was all for it until I told him the passenger count. If the trend is to all mega ships we may have to switch to land-based resorts.:mad:

Size matters and also can be a hinderance.

For port experiences a monster ship docking and unloading 4000 passengers for bus tours, beaches etc. etc. That is some serious bottleneck for already a challenging logistic for even 2000 passenger sized ships.

For things like large shopping areas, ice rinks, rock climbing, golfcoruses, wave pools they require a large ship with large passenger base to recoup the investment.

IMHO these megships are simply like going to las vegas.

All comes down to what you are going on vacation for. Can you imagine 4000 people trying to all stingray city :eek:

We have been on 16 cruises- NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Costa, and Princess. All good times, all different experiences. I was looking at a RC Liberty of the Seas trip in November, but the size of the ship doesn't appeal to my husband- with over 4,000 passengers it seems daunting. Our last RC voyage was on the Grandeur of the Seas, a much smaller ship. Our last cruise was in January- 2 weeks on the NCL Jewel- around 2,000 people. Does size matter? Is it too crowded? Too many lines? An anonymous experience? On our last cruise we got to know staff and entertainers. The size of the ship has really turned off his desire to go- he was all for it until I told him the passenger count. If the trend is to all mega ships we may have to switch to land-based resorts.:mad:

The passenger count is equivelant to the additional ship size. It's not like it's the Grandeur with 2000 more people. It isn't too crowded at all. You will run in to the same choke-points as any other ship, like photo area, exiting the theater, buffet at lunch height.

They do hold Promenade events that can get crowded, but that can be easily avoided by not attending.

IMO, the Freedom class is alot of fun when we take our DD (13) and DS (9) and we are designing our vacation around them. If just my DH and I are going, we MUCH prefer to stick to the Radiance class (love the Serenade)!!

However, in Nov. we are going to try the Voyager Class with the kids. The Freedom Class is just to much for us:)

Really though, I would never turn down any RC vacation!!! :)

It depends on what you're looking for in a cruise. I personally do not like to go larger than Voyager Class. My one cruise on Freedom seemed VERY crowded in terms of all the large, public events. One of my favorite RCL events is the big 70s party. I left before it was over on Freedom because it was SO crowded, I kept getting bumped and shoved, standing shoulder to shoulder. In stark contrast, the event on Serenade allowed passengers to dance with the Village People in the Centrum. So much more personal. It felt more like a party and less like a show.

My boyfriend loved the FlowRider and was not as put off by the crowds as I was. He likes all the bells and whistles on the ship. I like mingling with the passengers and crew and making new friends. That's so much easier on a smaller ship.

When I used to cruise with Carnival, I didn't enjoy my small-ship cruises as much because small meant old and Carnival - at least back then - did a very poor job of maintaining their older ships.

My recent cruise on Serenade proved to me that size does matter to me...and smaller is better!!! Who'd have guessed!?

IMO, the Freedom class is alot of fun when we take our DD (13) and DS (9) and we are designing our vacation around them. If just my DH and I are going, we MUCH prefer to stick to the Radiance class (love the Serenade)!!

However, in Nov. we are going to try the Voyager Class with the kids. The Freedom Class is just to much for us:)

Really though, I would never turn down any RC vacation!!! :)

You'll be happy with the Voyager class with kids. It has all the benefits of the Freedom class, except the FlowRider and the cantilevered hot tubs. The kids can use the in-line skating track instead of the FlowRider.

I'm on Voyager next cruise, when I'll be traveling with teens. I know they'll LOVE it! I know I'll love it too! Freedom Class, however, is too much for me as well.

Our last cruise was in January- 2 weeks on the NCL Jewel- around 2,000 people. Does size matter? Is it too crowded?

I actually thought my cruise on a Gem sister ship was more crowded than my Liberty cruise. Liberty handles and separates crowds much better.

I've loved every RCCL cruise I've ever taken which is why I am D+, and coming back for more no matter what the ship.

That said even the Voyager class is a bit too big and not on my "favorites" list.

I love the Radiance Class ships, all that glass, elevators on the outside, and much more personal. They are my first choice every time.

We cruised on the Independence during March Break a few years ago. It was full with a large number of children but we hardly ever noticed lines/crowds.

The layout of the ship really seemed to spread people out. We did find it hard to find deck chairs one day at sea but it was because I like shade- there were loungers on the higher decks. We always found seats at the solarium. We don't tend to take the elevators but when we did, we didn't have many problems except around dinner-time.

We docked at all our ports and the only one that was crowded was Belize- the building is small and many tour operators were trying to collect groups INSIDE the building- madness.

We only ate in the WJ a few times and it was busy but we found the MDR to be a great option for breakfast and lunch and the Promenade Cafe and Sorrentos were popular but we could always get a seat.

We loved the amenities of the Freedom Class ships (it's my favourite and my husband is torn between it and the Serenade) so I would say try it, especially if you can go at a time when it might not be so busy.

Cheers,

We've been on the large ships -- Freedom Class & Voyager Class -- as well as on the "smaller" ships -- Radiance Class & NCL's Dawn -- and have found that for what we are interested in doing, the size of the ship makes no difference.

On the larger vessels, we were able to find quiet areas that we could sit & relax with nobody to bother us at all...and when we wanted to interact, there were plenty of areas for companionship. We have loved our large ship experiences, and will cruise on them again in the future.

On the smaller vessels, like a previous poster pointed out, there were enough choke points at the popular areas (showroom / buffet / theater) that it felt just like a large ship, but that won't stop us from cruising a small ship again going forward.

Bottom line, we know what we're interested in prior to booking a cruise ... we do our research on the ship in advance and that allows us to make the most of both "quiet" areas and "more jovial" areas.

Michael & Silke

We book for itinerary and price. Since you have also gone on many different cruise lines I am guessing that you enjoy the diversity. The different size cruise ships add to the enjoyment - a new destination to explore and different things to do. The larger cruise ships often have better entertainment, but that is subjective also.

I have been on a smaller ship (NCL Majesty), but prefer those that are larger. I love the bells and whistles of the big ships but not the tired itineraries. Maybe my mind will change after the Serenade.

I say size doesn't matter; it's what you make of it. But my wife thinks bigger is better.

Yeah. Mine, too. That's why we can only cruise on the Monarch OTS. I told her on the first cruise, "Don't worry honey, they're all the same size!" ;)

Really enjoy Radiance and Voyager Class, but also recently completed a third trip on Enchantment with the stretched length it was really nice. Would not want to go smaller as any time in rough weather the larger ones fare a lot better, and we do like the Promenade.

We usually book a Balcony so don't worry about finding quiet spaces as much, but if the weather isn't too good go to the Concierge Lounge for a Cappuccino, or go to the Solarium :)

Although we are losing Voyager we are looking forward to Mariner from Galveston:)

As we all know, different strokes for different folks. And variety is the spice of life. We have cruised on almost all classes except Oasis class and we prefer the larger ships now. We have cruised Liberty of the Seas twice and loved her. We never felt crowded, in fact much less crowded than on our Majesty trips. And with more to do on the bigger vessels, there is no end to the activities and the larger ships seem to have less movement and more stability making sea sickness almost a thing of the past. We have found no difference whatsoever in embarkation or disembarkation as a result of more passengers. They are a hassel no matter how few people there are to load. I'm certainly glad some people prefer the smaller ships so when we go, we can get a stateroom on the large ones.:D JMHO.

My DH and I have been on Freedom 3 times and Liberty 2x with our 3 time coming up in December. We were also on the maiden voyage of the Oasis. We have also been on the Voyager and Enchantment of the seas 2x each. We have not had a problem with the size. It is like others have said, If you go to the buffett at lunch time yes there will be a line. We also have found that since our children are grown we can travel on off peak times when the kids are in school so there is less of a crowd

Archived