Ice Cream not free with Princess?

Rhitson88

I have been on a few Princess cruises but that was back in the day. Went on a Carnival one (UGh) last September and they had the free self serve ice cream. Princess offers this as well correct? It's just the toppings and all that stuff you have to pay for? I ask this because my pregnant fiance and our daughter will go crazy if it's not there lol. Please someone let me know.

soft ice cream is free at scoops. choice of vanilla, chocolate and mixed. they don't seem to have the toppings like they used to, but maybe its behind the counter. hard ice cream is free at lunch and dinner in the dining rooms. (and its really good!).

I have been on a few Princess cruises but that was back in the day. Went on a Carnival one (UGh) last September and they had the free self serve ice cream. Princess offers this as well correct? It's just the toppings and all that stuff you have to pay for? I ask this because my pregnant fiance and our daughter will go crazy if it's not there lol. Please someone let me know.
Ice cream is now free but it's not the same as what you used to pay for at Scoops nor do you get the toppings and extras. But it's FREE! That's what people wanted. :)

Ice cream is now free but it's not the same as what you used to pay for at Scoops nor do you get the toppings and extras. But it's FREE! That's what people wanted. :)

Just got back from the CB last week, ice cream was free during the day by the pool and they had sprinkles, both chocolate and multicolored and it was all free - no charge for sprinkles.

Do they still have the leftover homemade ice cream in the buffet mid afternoon? I love the homemade ice cream Princess makes.

No, people apparently prefer having the free soft-serve stuff available all day long to having real, good quality ice cream for a limited time. :rolleyes:

Not a huge problem for me as I mostly get my fix in the dining room, but you won't catch me eating the soft serve. I'd rather pay extra for the gelato.

I much rather prefered paying a few bucks and getting the differnt offerings.....

Bob

No, people apparently prefer having the free soft-serve stuff available all day long to having real, good quality ice cream for a limited time. :rolleyes:

Not a huge problem for me as I mostly get my fix in the dining room, but you won't catch me eating the soft serve. I'd rather pay extra for the gelato.

That's too bad. My darling husband would go get me a nice bowlful and bring it to me as he knows how much I love that homemade ice cream. Like you, I would rather pay for the gelato than to eat soft serve.

The soft serve ice cream has been free since late last spring.

At the hours they had the ice cream available in the buffet, it was really only realistic to get it on at sea days. In the mid-afternoon, most people are off the ship on port days. Even on at sea days, you had to go out of your way and remember the brief time period the ice cream was available. I guess for those wanting their fix of higher quality ice cream, there is still the gelato for $1.50 at the International Cafe (on many of the ships).

Not all ships have the gelato. The ones retrofitted with the IC (Star, Golden) don't have room for the ice cream case because the IC area is significantly smaller than on the larger ships like the Ruby.

At any rate, I don't think the ice cream is anything to write home about. The soft serve is, well, soft serve, and the hard ice cream they had in the HC in the afternoons was always half-melted and low quality.

The soft serve is free, but not worth the calories. However, the ice cream served in the MDR with dinner is alwys excellent. For a real treat order a Volcano. It's a giant banana split that's on the kids menu. Just ask your waiter.

At any rate, I don't think the ice cream is anything to write home about. The soft serve is, well, soft serve, and the hard ice cream they had in the HC in the afternoons was always half-melted and low quality.

That was not the case in my experience. IMO the quality of the ice cream was excellent.

Free softserve all day, there were sprinkles available. Malts were an extra charge. Ice cream and sorbet in the dining room were delicious. My favorites were the Pink Grapefruit Sorbet and the night we had Baked Alaska. No Gelato in the International Cafe.

Well it seems that over on the Carnival board, all people can do is rave about the FREE 24 hour pizza and ice cream. I did not find it good at all. I will gladly pay a better product which is why I like Ben and Jerry's that Royal Caribbean offers.

On the Emerald last month, soft serve was free, but they had scoop ice cream that I am not sure was extra....I can tell you if they made up a milk shake, it was $5.50....I believe that is correct. The milk shake was made out of scoop ice cream, so perhaps the scoop ice cream cost extra too.

On the Emerald in March, they had hard ice cream at Scoops also. You just have to ask for it.

They also had hard ice cream on the Caribbean Princess. They use it to make the shakes but I saw them offer it to the passengers in a cone at no charge.

On the Emerald last month, soft serve was free, but they had scoop ice cream that I am not sure was extra....I can tell you if they made up a milk shake, it was $5.50....I believe that is correct. The milk shake was made out of scoop ice cream, so perhaps the scoop ice cream cost extra too.

Milk shakes were free with the Ultimate drink card. They used 4 scoops of hard ice cream, whip cream and were very good. I saw a girl ask for the hard ice cream and the server did not charge her.

For those wanting hard ice cream, it is available at the International Cafe. $1.50 for 3 scoops. A good deal if you can't wait for dinner. Soft serve is always available on deck. My boys had the Ultimate Drink Card on our March sailing and they were also able to get the milk shakes which they thought were very good. Everyone's preferences are different, but I can tell you there was never a shortage of people in the soft serve line!!

Archived