First cruise, how do you pass the time?

John73

I'm booked on the Aug 15th Soltice Western Caribbean cruise but have to admit I'm very anxious to get on board. I'm really looking forward to the cruise and the ports, particularly the diving. Any recommendations on good ways to pass the time between now and two months when I actually get to go on my first cruise?

I'm booked on the Aug 15th Soltice Western Caribbean cruise but have to admit I'm very anxious to get on board. I'm really looking forward to the cruise and the ports, particularly the diving. Any recommendations on good ways to pass the time between now and two months when I actually get to go on my first cruise?

That's easy! While away the hours on cruise critic for both entertainment and research. Before we went on our first ever cruise on Princess I was on the Princess forum every night and found out so many "little secrets" that seasoned cruisers were unaware of (MDR was open for lunch on embarkation day, chef's table etc).

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise next year and I'm already here doing as much research as I can. As well as the Celebrity board, check our your roll call and visit the ports of call forum to learn some hints and tips about the places you will be visiting. There is also a first time cruisers forum which may be worth a look.

Have a great cruise! WARNING You will be hooked for life!

All of the above plus spend time on the Celebrity website and those websites which hold photographs of the ship and cabins. Study deck plans and photographs. By the time to get onboard, you will know your way around as if you were at home and can start enjoying yourself immediately rather than getting lost.

Honest, it works!

Sue

We are relatively experienced cruisers but still gain a lot of info from CC and on it to keep thinking of cruising. Also we read the travel guides and if going to a historical area find a good book/Internet info.

I also go for nature and geology articles.

We are traveling with friends so we had dinner last night and talked cruising

den

Definetely use CC, especially your roll call for ips on what to do. The roll call is also a great way to get to know your fello cruisers.....:):):)

Bob

Webshots will usually provide you with a set of pictures of your ship and possibly even your cabin if you want to do a search. I stay active on the boards; it not only passes the time, it also gets me more in the mood and psychs me up for the cruise. It can also provide a great deal of up to date information about the ship, ports, etc. Just remember to take the opinions of some with a grain of salt or else you may become disenchanted before boarding the ship.

I noticed a couple of people mentioned the "Rollcall", but didn't explain what it was. Are you familiar??

If not, it is a Chat-board where you can find your particular cruise and find out Who Else Is Going To Be On Board With You. Meet and make friends, share ideas for excursions, get together for parties, and spend time talking and getting to know each other while you wait for your cruise.

Here's a link to the Solstice for Aug. 15th:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1120728

Hope This Helps.

Those last 40 days seem like forever! :eek: Roll call was great, I started one also on Carnival and before long there 3 other couples talking daily back and forth and we met up on embark for a drink at the Atrium bar. We hung together some on the lido deck and bars in the evening. Made some great new friends. Last day we toasted champagne on Serenity deck!:)

I noticed a few posters mentioned reading and posting on cruisecritic,

I did that and got addicted. On 24/7

How I know I am addicted

0. Cruiscritic is my main entertainment

1. I get up in the middle of the night to check out the boards

2. Its the first thing in the morning I check.

3. I hit the "reload" button every 5 seconds.

4. When I say "just one more post, honey" and turnes into much longer.

5. I get nurvous ticks when you are away from the boards too long

6. I regale your co-workers and friends with what's online

7. I LOL at work and everyone turns their head.

On a recent cruise, I went w/ my best friend, my daughter and her best friend. I started a countdown waaaaaay before we left and each day I'd send a little factoid that I'd googled.

For instance at day 59: The Simon and Garfunkle song "FEELING GROOVY" is actually titled "The ___th Street Bridge:

Day 58: What is the sum of the first 17 prime numbers?

Day 57: There is a film starring Wesley Snipes titled "Passenger ___"

You get the picture.

I'd just google the number or go directly to wikipedia. If i forgot to do it, they'd all email me asking "Where's our countdown question?"

Just so you know...It doesn't get any easier for a good many of us past our first. ;)

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I did find the Roll Call and will be sure to keep up with the thread there. Today I also received my iPad which I purchased based on some other threads on here. I figure it'll be a much simpler approach that worrying about a laptop on a cruise.

I do need to do some shopping too! I almost forgot about that. I lost weight recently and need to go buy some new warm weather gear. here in Seattle it's still feeling like winter. I'll be very ready for some warm weather and warm water diving in mid-August.

If possible, try to think the least possible about the cruise.. check CC only every few days.. the more you wait for something the longer it takes until it arrives, besides you don't want to build too much anticipation and set yourself up for a disappointment.

Disclaimer: I don't think you will be disappointed in cruising, and I do agree that part of the fun of a cruise (or any vacation) is waiting/researching for it! But since it is your first cruise, I think the least expectations you have, the more amazed/wowed you will be.

I started one for my Alaska Cruise. There have been 27 views but only one response. Surely there will be more than us on that ship.

Any suggestions?

Some of my roll calls have been very active some have not. It's the luck of the draw.

Sometimes I troll the boards and notice that someone is on the same cruise as us. Then I stalk them. Find out what threads they post in and try to steer them to the roll call.

The stalker (click in thumbnail)

1483388333_mrcelerysmall.jpg.9ac38514a3688fd212e1e65517ec4fe3.jpg

We do "countdown" celebrations on significant days - On Day 100 special themed dinner based upon a port that we will travel to, Day 75 planning gifts for the trip. Day 50 etc.... Have fun. The anticipation and planning is half the fun!

Dawn - 102 days to Fort Lauderdale and our B2B on the Solstice....

We do "countdown" celebrations on significant days - On Day 100 special themed dinner based upon a port that we will travel to, Day 75 planning gifts for the trip. Day 50 etc.... Have fun. The anticipation and planning is half the fun!

Dawn - 102 days to Fort Lauderdale and our B2B on the Solstice....

On the 100th day before the cruise my true love gave to me................

If possible, try to think the least possible about the cruise.. check CC only every few days.. the more you wait for something the longer it takes until it arrives, besides you don't want to build too much anticipation and set yourself up for a disappointment.

Disclaimer: I don't think you will be disappointed in cruising, and I do agree that part of the fun of a cruise (or any vacation) is waiting/researching for it! But since it is your first cruise, I think the least expectations you have, the more amazed/wowed you will be.

Sorry, but I must disagree. For me, at least, a good portion of the fun of the cruise is the anticipation and preparation for the cruise. That is why so many people hang out on the boards prior to their cruises. I become very active on the boards, check several cruising websites on a frequent basis, and research the ports of call, ship and anything else connected with the cruise. Trying not to think about it is akin to trying not to think about elephants after being told not to do so. Anticipation is a good thing, not the reverse, because even a mediocre cruise is still better than most vacations.

I also feel that anticipation is half the fun. At least if you have a lousy cruise (and yes out of 42 cruises I did have ONE lousy one.... not on X), then you have the fun of the anticipation. I get like a kid at Christmas... is it here yet? Is it here yet? I love when the countdown gets into double digits.... and then..... SINGLE digits!! woooooo hooooo

And yet I still wind up packing the night before. *SIGH*

I'm still barely in triple digits... **sigh SIGH**

I agree with many of the other posters....

1) check out your roll call, and the board of your liner.

2) check out reviews of the ship...ps don't do this if you take everything to heart, not all reviews are good, but that's okay :)

With those 2 items out of the way....

3) prepare your packing list...write it down (i often forget stuff).

4) review your packing list.

5) check the boards.

6) review your packing list ;)

once you have that figured out...you should be pretty close to sail date.

7) take a deep breath. There can be a lot of anxiety in preparation for a big experience. It's okay :)

8) when you first see the boat, be amazed (I was on my first cruise).

9) enjoy yourself.

Most importantly, when you get back, be envious of all the other first cruisers out there. There's nothing like your first cruise!

Have fun.

Archived