Question about the ValidFill dispensers on board the ships...

Does anyone know which ships are going to have them first and when? Are they already installed? I am particularly interested in know about Freedom.

I thought that they were starting with Freedom, for some reason, but I may be misremembering.

Also, I would really like to see a picture of the dispenser and the mugs. And any comments from someone who has actually experienced it on a Royal Caribbean ship, if they're already on board.

Thanks!

It was in some Royal Caribbean news a bit ago... there was a board about it. Basically, the mugs they give you when you buy the unlimited soda package will now have a chip in the bottom, and that chip allows you to self-fill your mug at the ValidFill dispenser. I believe they're just going on and around the pool deck.

I was curious at the time, and I was hoping someone had more information!

"Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Royal Caribbean to Expand ValidFill Soda Dispensers

Royal Caribbean sells a lot of Unlimited Fountain Soda Packages either in advance of the cruise or during the cruise. Until now, if you wanted to get your free refills you needed to find one of the bar staff, which on the pool deck often entailed waiting at the pool bar including for children. That is beginning to change.

Freedom of the Seas will soon have two soda dispensers on the pool deck that detect a chip implanted in the bottom of the Coca Cola soda mug and provide the refill automatically based on the presence of the chip. Majesty of the Seas has had one of these units as a test and they are very pleased with the results. Royal Caribbean's goal is to extend this fleetwide."

"Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Royal Caribbean to Expand ValidFill Soda Dispensers

Royal Caribbean sells a lot of Unlimited Fountain Soda Packages either in advance of the cruise or during the cruise. Until now, if you wanted to get your free refills you needed to find one of the bar staff, which on the pool deck often entailed waiting at the pool bar including for children. That is beginning to change.

Freedom of the Seas will soon have two soda dispensers on the pool deck that detect a chip implanted in the bottom of the Coca Cola soda mug and provide the refill automatically based on the presence of the chip. Majesty of the Seas has had one of these units as a test and they are very pleased with the results. Royal Caribbean's goal is to extend this fleetwide."

Thanks for posting this! I THOUGHT I remembered something about Freedom being mentioned first. But how soon is soon? That's almost two months ago... hmm.

They already had these on Majesty in March - the cups looked quite nice, but I don't drink pop, so I never used them and unfortunately can't tell you much more about it than that...

These do sound great! I purchased a soda packge a few weeks ago on my cruise and ended up drinking the free drinks instead because I was never really by a bar, and the ones by the pool were too crowded. If they have this on my Explorer cruises next year, I'll definitely be taking advantage of it.

I always made trips to the bar to expressly get them refilled, because I enjoyed trekking through the ship by myself. I would refill mine and my friend's at the same time.

I did always hate talking to the bartenders, though! Some are so friendly, and some seemed so bothered by me asking for soda instead of a pricey alcoholic drink.

So I was quite excited to hear about this, and just was looking for a bit more solid fact.

:)

• 1 month later...

We have booked a cruise on the FOS and this will be a big improvement. It's hard enough for an adult to get the bartenders attention to get a soda refill, but if you have a child or teenager, it takes forever. With good reason, they prefer to take care of the frozen drinks and any other alcholic drinks first and you can be waiting forever. This is a really good idea. We had a mug a few years ago that was the best ever. The next year they went with a mug that held the same amount but looked much bigger around. The thinner one fit perfectly in my car mug holder and when I took it out to the pool or ball parks, everyone wanted to know where I got the cool mug. Wish they would use that one again. I have a big batch of the newer ones but I never take them anywhere.

It was in some Royal Caribbean news a bit ago... there was a board about it. Basically, the mugs they give you when you buy the unlimited soda package will now have a chip in the bottom, and that chip allows you to self-fill your mug at the ValidFill dispenser. I believe they're just going on and around the pool deck.

I was curious at the time, and I was hoping someone had more information!

And this is why they probably won't be used too extensively (or soda package price will go up). Making people wait at the bar would help to cut down on consumption. If the soda is there and easy to get too, people will drink more of it.

I was told that the staff on "Majesty of the Seas" that the ValidFill machines will be installed on "Freedom of the Seas" at the end of August. I am attaching a picture from my cruise on "Majesty" earlier this summer.

Very cool dispenser, very convenient, no issues.

We were on Freedom July 25th, and on both sides of deck 12 aft, by the door into the elevator lobby, were stainless steel "Counters" still wrapped and on skids, the sticker said beverage station, looks like the bottom half of your picture, so they are probably up and running by now

Had it on the Majesty and it was very handy and so logical. Hope they do go fleetwide soon. Hear any timeframe on Liberty?

I wouldn't care if the soda cost went up a quarter more per day to fund the machines. Staff are happier too, pax get their mixed drinks quicker, it's win/win. Probably more people are inclined to buy soda cards if they don't have to bother wait staff. Maybe they did it once and it was a hassle so they don't buy soda cards anymore or, worse for RCCL, bring their own. It's a great idea.

Funny to think of little Majesty having soda dispensers and compass deli, things bigger ships don't have.

We were on Freedom July 25th, and on both sides of deck 12 aft, by the door into the elevator lobby, were stainless steel "Counters" still wrapped and on skids, the sticker said beverage station, looks like the bottom half of your picture, so they are probably up and running by now

We just got off FOS yesterday, and those beverage stations were nowhere to be found. They may be stored onboard somewhere, but they were definitely not installed anywhere yet - and we looked for them everywhere on the pool deck/promenade/public areas around the ship, and nada.

How do they prevent people from re-using the mugs once the cruise is over?

I would assume a computer system is behind it. Like the way your hotel key won't work after you check out. There is a chip inside the cup that triggers the dispense. When you buy it that chip must be recorded by the scanner that tells the machines to dispense until xyz date corresponding to the end of the cruise. I'm sure they wouldn't roll out this technology without a means to control reusing on another cruise.

So, with this new dispenser do you have to carry the mug around with you or is there a way to get soda just with the seapass?

Sounds like a neat idea but not a fan of having to carry the mug everywhere. Just someting else for my kids to forget to bring back to the cabin :eek:.

So, with this new dispenser do you have to carry the mug around with you or is there a way to get soda just with the seapass?

Sounds like a neat idea but not a fan of having to carry the mug everywhere. Just someting else for my kids to forget to bring back to the cabin :eek:.

You can get refills from any bar with your seapass. This just adds some convenience if you want. You can still give your mug to the pool servers and they will gladly refill it for you!

You can get refills from any bar with your seapass. This just adds some convenience if you want. You can still give your mug to the pool servers and they will gladly refill it for you!

Thanks for the response, so just to make it clear in my mind, if you want to use the 'self dispenser' you need the mug, if you don't want to use the mug you still need to go to the bar to get the refill by showing your seapss? Is that right?

Archived