TA wants full payment 120 days out

Prof96

I have managed to find a TA that offered me a good "group rate" for a cruise on the CB in January 2011. But, she told me that full payment would be required 120 days out (Sept, 2010) because of the group rate. I am somewhat new to cruising (3 total -- 2 on Princess) but have not had to pay more than 75 days out. Is the 120 day advance normal under these circumstances? Thanks!

Anything with a group rate, unless being paid in full by one party, usually has an earlier date to allow for the usual difficulties in collecting the funds from so many people as well as the risks of clearing so much money. This is very common in the hotel industry, with different cancellation rules, etc for guests, it would not surprise me to see the same with cruises at all.

I called the TA office I work with, their general rule, subject to cruise line policy, is an extra 30 days on all pre-paid group bookings.

I have managed to find a TA that offered me a good "group rate" for a cruise on the CB in January 2011. But, she told me that full payment would be required 120 days out (Sept, 2010) because of the group rate. I am somewhat new to cruising (3 total -- 2 on Princess) but have not had to pay more than 75 days out. Is the 120 day advance normal under these circumstances? Thanks!
Does not seem out of line to me, group cruises have many different rules.

I personally would continue to look. I book into group space all the time and the final payment date is still the same (holiday cruises are 90 days out, other wise 75 days out, long cruises are totally different). I don't disagree there may be exceptions to certain groups - I would just want to know for sure that that is the lowest price. Other agents may offer the same price with out the payment due so far in advance.

As January is a pretty slow cruising time period, there are often price adjustments. Though, often if you make final payment early you are still entitled to price reductions but if the TA is requiring (on her own, not Princess) a final payment so much earlier, I wonder how flexible she would be on price reductions. Maybe the cruise line is requiring this early but I would be surprised.

Hi,

I would ask the TA if your payment is going straight to Princess OR is the TA holding the money to be sent in with the whole group. I will not deal with a TA who doesn't send my money straight to Princess.

I book with a TA and she has booked us in a group and final payment ahd all way been 75 days out.

Maria

Thanks for your comments and suggestions! I had not thought to ask who gets the money for the first 4-6 weeks, though I was given the impression that it was a Princess requirement.

My guess from what I have read on this thread is that the TA will hold the money. I'll check into it! Aside from this issue though, this TA has given me the best quote from several I have solicited (and she works for a traditional agency, not an on-line only service). As always, great advice form CC members!

Its just a way to get all payments on the group early. There is a lot of paperwork with a group, and often a lot of late payments. The agent must send the monies to Princess ASAP. It's an industry policy. I would tell the agent as the time gets closer, that you will pay your final about 80 days out. Also, always pay with a Credit Card. It's just safer that way. Good Luck

There is always some wriggle room, my agency started the 30 day guideline because in an average group of 100, 80 people have their money on time, the other 20, not so much. Money is passed to the vendor usually within a day or 2 of being received.

With only 5 days out, there were too many times when people were late and because they dropped below a certain commitment of people they lost the group rate.

Note that when I say group rate I mean 50+ rooms/cabins/etc. For a smaller group its 'have your payments in by the due date or don't go'

Hi again,

The reason why I brought up who gets your money (TA or Princess) was last year on the HAL CC board a member there paided her cruise fare to the TA and the TA didn't send it to HAL. HAL call her to say the payment was not sent to them. Payment was over due. HAL helped her get her money from the TA. She had a fight on her hands. But it was Ok cause the cruise line got them to pay.

Your TA is honest (I Hope) but I like my money to be paided to the cruise line.

Maria

Hi again,

The reason why I brought up who gets your money (TA or Princess) was last year on the HAL CC board a member there paided her cruise fare to the TA and the TA didn't send it to HAL. HAL call her to say the payment was not sent to them. Payment was over due. HAL helped her get her money from the TA.

Other reason is that TAs do sometimes go out of business. You do not want your cruise payment in the TA's office at the time if they decide to call it quits.

No, the full payment due 120 day's out is not unusual. Also, are you cruising over New Year's? Holiday cruise's are often due earlier than non-holiday cruise's.

The main thing I can say is to NEVER pay any TA directly into their account! Make absolutely sure that your payment is going directly to the cruise line. Several year's ago a BIG agency went under and many people lost their deposit and their cruise :(.

A January cruise is not a "holiday" cruise and final payment is 75 days in advance. We're on the Sapphire Princess on 1/5/11, have booked a group rate with our TA, and final payment is due 10/21/10. That's a few days before Princess requires final payment to give the TA time to process all of the final payments and correct any with problems (such as someone forgetting to give them a new expiration date.)

The final payment date you've been given is NOT the Princess final payment date. It's not a requirement. It's your TA's date and it seems very out of line to me, by at least a month. Sounds fishy to me.

I agree with the others, if the TA is taking payment this early to their agency and not paying Princess directly, I would run not walk and find another TA. This is how some have gotten in trouble over the years when the TA took the payment and charged it to their own account, and then went bust afterwards, taking with them the clients funds and never making the final payments.

Before I would even consider making a payment this far in advance, I would want to know exactly WHY this is due this early (and I don't buy the group booking explanation). And make sure the amount is going to be charged directly to Princess and not to the travel agency.

I can not agree more with Pam's comments. 45 days difference is not acceptable and especially if the final payment is made out to Princess.

IMHO, I think it is an opportunity for the TA to make some $ if the price drops between the 120 day mark that she is asking payment by and the 75 days that it should be. People would think they are not eligible for any price drops once they have made final payment.

I would be contacting the TA now and asking if they are eligible for any price decreases between the 120 day mark that their TA wants and 75 day mark that Princess requires the $ by.

I would think it is the TA's way to insure who is going before the cruise lines deadline. Probably do not want to be faced with folks dropping out at the last minute....;)

Sorry, but I'd say RUN from a travel agency who wants your money 120 days out unless there is something really special about this cruise (i.e. they've booked a special event or semi-celebrity guest onboard). That's just not how group cruises are paid for.

There's just no justification for 120 days out. Yes, TAs routinely back deadlines up by a week or so (spend one week in our shoes and you'll see why we have to pad deadlines), but to 120 days? That makes no sense to me.

If you insist on staying with this agency, put in writing that you only authorize your credit card to be charged by the cruise line. Do not authorize a charge by the agency.

I would not pay much more then 5 days before final.

Sounds like the agency wants to make some interest.

You are assuming the TA is charging the credit card and not Princess.

Second, interest rates suck and it wouldn't be worth the effort.

I would ask the TA, regardless of when she is saying when final is due, when do penalties start? With groups it is often difficult to get final monies paid by the "real" due date, and we do make them earlier. However cancellation penalties set by the cruise lines remain the same.

Archived