TA wants full payment 120 days out

Prof96

I seem to recall an incident last year (and another one involving the Vancouver Olympics) where people paid for a group cruise well in advance and the agency went out of business. As I recall, people either did not get their money back or had a hard time doing so.

I would be reluctant to give a lot of money to a travel agent who is going to hold it.

As soon as I authorize a cruise payment, I start a daily check of my online visa account until I see that payment has been charged by Princess, not my TA. It's never happened, but if anyone other than Princess were to make the charge, I would immediately stop that payment with my credit card company and tell my TA to have Princess charge my account.

Further, I would IMMEDIATELY change TAs if it wasn't past the cruiseline's final payment deadline. I'd certainly never use that TA again.

More paperwork???

Then its time to find another TA.

If it's an incentive group, yes the TA would have more paperwork, stricter deadlines from the cruise line, etc.

Why not just ASK the TA why the deadline is so early, instead of speculating?

OP had a long cruise booked with agency. They offered 4-5% discount for a way early payment. They walked with her $$. Took her months to get it straightened out. Jan. is slower time. No need to pay early. Lots of other cruises to be had at attractive pricing. Just wait, explore alternatives. Its really too early for deals. When in doubt, pay with check made out to CRUISE LINE only.

I just booked a cruise for 2011 and got the 120-day final payment time. I asked my ta about it and she said Princess set that time and not her. I wonder if Princess is changing some of their policies or if it has to do with the length of the cruise? :confused:

I just booked a cruise for 2011 and got the 120-day final payment time. I asked my ta about it and she said Princess set that time and not her. I wonder if Princess is changing some of their policies or if it has to do with the length of the cruise? :confused:

How long is your cruise? If it is longer then 30 days or part of a world cruise segment, the cancellation and requirements are a tad different.

OP had a long cruise booked with agency. They offered 4-5% discount for a way early payment. They walked with her $$. Took her months to get it straightened out. Jan. is slower time. No need to pay early. Lots of other cruises to be had at attractive pricing. Just wait, explore alternatives. Its really too early for deals. When in doubt, pay with check made out to CRUISE LINE only.
First, the ONLY time I have ever heard of final payment needed 120 days out is for a World Cruise or segment. The CB is not doing a world cruise. :)

Secondly, a 4-5% discount is very small. That wouldn't be enough incentive for me to book with a TA. There are some TAs that will give you very nice group discounts and don't require more paperwork or early payment. I'd find a new TA... fast. Any company requiring full payment so far in advance to get a measly 4-5% discount is one to avoid. Sounds like they're in financial trouble and need your money rather than providing a service.

How long is your cruise? If it is longer then 30 days or part of a world cruise segment, the cancellation and requirements are a tad different.

It's actually 31 days and that's why I thought we had the different final payment time. I just thought the 120 days was for the world cruise though and all the others maxed out at 90 days.

It's actually 31 days and that's why I thought we had the different final payment time. I just thought the 120 days was for the world cruise though and all the others maxed out at 90 days.
I took a 31-day cruise a couple of years ago and just checked the final payment date vs. sail date. It was just over 90 days to my TA. Has Princess changed their policy regarding 30+ day cruises that aren't part of the World Cruise?

I took a 31-day cruise a couple of years ago and just checked the final payment date vs. sail date. It was just over 90 days to my TA. Has Princess changed their policy regarding 30+ day cruises that aren't part of the World Cruise?

I am not sure. A friend did a 30 plus day cruise this year. There was something weird with it in that cancellation fees started at 120 days but final payment was at 90 or something strange like that. I don't remember the details but it was different then other cruises.

I am not sure. A friend did a 30 plus day cruise this year. There was something weird with it in that cancellation fees started at 120 days but final payment was at 90 or something strange like that. I don't remember the details but it was different then other cruises.

Cancellation fees start (per Princess contract)

cruise length............. days before cruise

5 days or less ................... 59 days

non-holiday 6-29 days ........ 74 days

Holiday up to 29 days ........ 89 days

30 days+ including

world cruise & segments ..... 119 days

The money due to the cruise line for Group cruise final payments are not due any earlier than regular reservations.

This can be an agency rule or a particular agent rule. They can collect money whenever they want. Many agents will collect early on a Group cruise because it takes a long time to reconcile a Group. It is not unusual for the TA not to get paid on a Group cruise until 3 months PAST the sail date. Maybe this TA is hoping to get the Group reconciled early so he/she gets paid in a more timely manner.

Cancellation fees start (per Princess contract)

cruise length............. days before cruise

5 days or less ................... 59 days

non-holiday 6-29 days ........ 74 days

Holiday up to 29 days ........ 89 days

30 days+ including

world cruise & segments ..... 119 days

They must have changed that recently because our final payment for our 29-day cruise is 75 days which is coming up soon.

They must have changed that recently because our final payment for our 29-day cruise is 75 days which is coming up soon.

No change -- look again. Non-holiday 29-day cruises are still at 75 days. That holiday/non-holiday stuff makes their chart unnecessarily confusing at first glance.

No change -- look again. Non-holiday 29-day cruises are still at 75 days. That holiday/non-holiday stuff makes their chart unnecessarily confusing at first glance.

But 31-day cruises are now 120 days.

I may be off, but I do not think 120 days is out of line if you are included in a large group. Just start asking people for money and see what excuses you will get.

I am wondering if you can make a payment directly to Princess? Then let Princess or your payment record copied to the TA.

Would that be possible?

I am wondering if you can make a payment directly to Princess? Then let Princess or your payment record copied to the TA.

Would that be possible?

When you use a TA, then payment must go through the TA.

I may be off, but I do not think 120 days is out of line if you are included in a large group. Just start asking people for money and see what excuses you will get.
Not sure how familiar you are with Princess but even with group rates through a TA, the standard final payment dates apply. If you are booking an "affinity" group, such as a church group, then perhaps an earlier final payment date is possible, but even then, asking for final payment at 120 days when for the OP, it should be 75; that's stretching the payment date way too much. It shouldn't take an extra two months to receive/organize payment. Booking with an affinity group is very different from booking a cruise with a TA that offers group rates. I have never experienced a TA that demanded payment 120 days in advance, or anything other than a few days prior to the official Princess final payment date.

Thanks again to all of you with so much experience! It sounded unusual to me (hence the post) but it is a long-standing agency as opposed to a new internet site. I will ask the questions you all raised and be sure of when penalties start and who the charge goes against. Given that their specialty is offering group tours, I suspect that they will post the charge themselves then forward money to princess later, which is not what I am interested in. I also have a back up TA (though not quite as good a deal) if needed.

BTW, the cruise in question is the 1-4-11 7 day southern on the CB.

Archived