Great cruise, but a shame on you Princess...please read the post before you get upset

musicgirl63

Hi All,

As some one that has been there no luggage,

Princess will give you a small pack contains enough stuff for over night,

toothbrush, etc, I think includes white T shirt and socks.

However you also get on board money to buy clothes in store.

I was also offered the ships tailor to adjust a ships tux for formal night.

As to Princess following dress code they need to stick by the rules.

yours Shogun

Was your issue about the lost luggage Princess's fault through booking transportation through them or just that the luggage got misplaced once on board?

Their insurance was through the airline, Princess had no obligation to "give" them money or OBC.

I think Princess should have one dining room with no dress code and strictly enforce the dress code in the other dining rooms. That way those who want to where shorts or bib overalls or whatever can and they won't bother anyone since everyone dining with them agrees that everyone can wear whatever they want

I like this idea. You can still go to a sit down restaurant, but you can dress casual (that is shorts, not bathing suits). So maybe one restaurant with Anytime dining casual (shorts casual), 1 anytime dining room with "business casual" ie long pants for the guys. And then one dining one with traditional seating, and I would say that one should be business casual as well.

Princess does have that.......the Cafe Caribe and the Horizon Court..........the food is excellent, we actually prefer it over the dining room , there are a lot of other frequent cruisers that feel the same.

But isn't this a buffet? What is wrong with having a sit down dinner in a restaurant with nice shorts and a polo for the guys? That's what my husband wears when we go out to mid priced restaurants. Applebee's, Olive Garden type restaurants.

That is too bad that they would not let this couple in the dining room considering their predicament.

Meanwhile over at our end of the dining room (same sailing as Musicgirl) there was a table where the children (ages approx 11 & 12) were allowed in the diningroom with jean shorts and pokemon/spongebob t-shirts to dinner. :rolleyes:

If the rule applies to one....it should apply to ALL.

Cheers to Bill for lending his clothes to a perfect stranger.

It's nice to know there is still kindness and generosity left in people in this every man/woman for themselves world we live in. :)

FYI, this was a fantastic cruise! :)

Awesome cruise on the CB!!!

I met up with a honeymoon couple from South Dakota in the gift shop. Long story short, they had a choice between making the ship or missing the ship with their luggage in hand.

This is not about trip insurance because they will actually get something for this.........

They were not allowed in the dining room on the 3rd night (casual) because the groom had no long pants to wear to dinner. He wore shorts the 1st night, they got him a tux for the formal night (she luckily carried on her long dress). The luggage did not arrive in Bermuda on time so that night he went in his khaki shorts (very nice shorts). They did not have the ability to purchase dress clothes on the ship due to the cost nor in Bermuda because they did need to buy other items as well (sun screen, a bathing suit for her) Hopefully you get the idea....they are newlyweds.

Even though they discussed the situation at the restaurant (anytime dining) they wouldn't let them in. Customer Service simply told them it is up to the matre'd what they will allow. I saw all kinds of people dressed way down who were let in......ie. a lady in cotton shorts and a t-shirt as well as her daughter.

Yes, they ate in the buffet restaurant with basically the same menu.....but

this was their honeymoon and it really sucked that their luggage didn't make it until later in the week. Would it really have been that bad too let him into the dining room with Khaki shorts on and a polo shirt that he had worn for 3 days straight??? They washed their clothes each night.

During our conversation I realized that he was about the same size as my husband, so we lent him a dress pair of pants, black socks and another polo shirt to make it to dinner until their luggage came.

We made some new friends and they got to see that there are some kind people in the world even if the thought of complete strangers lending you clothes seems a bit odd!!!

Come on Princess......little gestures count!!!!

Great weather, great cruise, great friends....report coming later

I met up with a honeymoon couple from South Dakota in the gift shop. Long story short, they had a choice between making the ship or missing the ship with their luggage in hand.

This is not about trip insurance because they will actually get something for this.........

They were not allowed in the dining room on the 3rd night (casual) because the groom had no long pants to wear to dinner. He wore shorts the 1st night, they got him a tux for the formal night (she luckily carried on her long dress). The luggage did not arrive in Bermuda on time so that night he went in his khaki shorts (very nice shorts). They did not have the ability to purchase dress clothes on the ship due to the cost nor in Bermuda because they did need to buy other items as well (sun screen, a bathing suit for her) Hopefully you get the idea....they are newlyweds.

Even though they discussed the situation at the restaurant (anytime dining) they wouldn't let them in. Customer Service simply told them it is up to the matre'd what they will allow. I saw all kinds of people dressed way down who were let in......ie. a lady in cotton shorts and a t-shirt as well as her daughter.

this was their honeymoon and it really sucked that their luggage didn't make it until later in the week. Would it really have been that bad too let him into the dining room with Khaki shorts on and a polo shirt that he had worn for 3 days straight??? They washed their clothes each night.

During our conversation I realized that he was about the same size as my husband, so we lent him a dress pair of pants, black socks and another polo shirt to make it to dinner until their luggage came.

We made some new friends and they got to see that there are some kind people in the world even if the thought of complete strangers lending you clothes seems a bit odd!!!

Kudos to you both for the kind gesture.....:):):)

Bob

That was very nice of you loaning them clothes. I have an old saying

"be careful who you are entertaining...never know... it just might be an angel.:) I rather entertain an angel then the devil:eek:

:D

To be honest, while I was dining I really didn't pay any attention to what anyone else was wearing unless it was something that really stood out, like the few young girls who forgot to wear ANYTHING underneath their way too short dresses!!

I agree what others wore was of no consequence to me. I would have enjoyed my meal if the table next to us were in their bathing suits. I would feel bad for the next group who might end up with damp bottoms of their own!:o

On the Emerald they're currently allowing bathing suits in the dining room at lunch time. The gals had a cover up & the guys only had a t shirt with bathing trunks. I guess they were dry but no one was checking.

That was very nice of you loaning them clothes. I have an old saying

"be careful who you are entertaining...never know... it just might be an angel.:) I rather entertain an angel then the devil:eek:

I've got to admit, I think they thought I was kind of creepy at first!!

Although I understand they had a huge problem, when others see them come to the dining room for dinner, they have no idea that their luggage was lost, so others try it the next night (coming to dinner in shorts), and before you know it, many are also thinking it's acceptable. Their excuse? Well, that guy is wearing shorts, and the ball begins to roll downhill from there. So, I do see why Princess stuck to their guns on this one.

One thing I don't quite understand. If they gave him a tux to wear on formal night, why didn't he just put the tux pants on with his polo shirt, they would have let him in without a problem? Agreed, he might not have looked all that great but at least he would have had long pants on and been able to come into the dining room.

BUT, I am so happy you were able to help them out. I am sure they are very greatful to you for saving their dining experience. ;)

I just don't agree here. I usually agree with you Toto, but I think

tux pants and a Polo shirt is a way bigger faux pas in the dining room

than the other attire the young man was wearing to dinner.

Not to sure why you go in depth about what the honeymoon couple wore.:rolleyes:..:cool:

As long as you had a "Great" cruise, isn't that what matters? ;);)

MusicGirl I was onboard and met you at the meet and greet. I believe we also met in line boarding and for certain you and your family was a pleasure to meet and your kindness is of no surprise. I know for those who weren't onboard it would seem if following dress code would be fair and I agree, but I seen many people in the main dining rooms each night with t-shirts and I think shorts. Can't swear on shorts because that was not my focus nor was studying what people where wearing. Point being, that given their situation the maitre'd could have allowed the exception unitl their bags showed up.

I just don't agree here. I usually agree with you Toto, but I think

tux pants and a Polo shirt is a way bigger faux pas in the dining room

than the other attire the young man was wearing to dinner.

On, I truely understand, and as I said previously "Agreed, he might not have looked all that great but at least he would have had long pants on and been able to come into the dining room."

But it would have allowed him to enter the dining room without problem, and that seemed to be the biggest problem they were having was finding him a pair of long pants to wear.

If others say that him wearing shorts would be no big deal, then I say why would the tux pants (even though a bit tacky even in my opinion) be any different to others? It would have gotten them into the dining room, and that was the important part (at least I thought it was). :confused:

But isn't this a buffet? What is wrong with having a sit down dinner in a restaurant with nice shorts and a polo for the guys? That's what my husband wears when we go out to mid priced restaurants. Applebee's, Olive Garden type restaurants.

So do we, however, they don't serve you in an elegant atmosphere with fine linens and china and 4-5 courses. Some how, I can't equate a Princess main dining room with Applebees.

Not to sure why you go in depth about what the honeymoon couple wore.:rolleyes:..:cool:

As long as you had a "Great" cruise' date=' isn't that what matters? ;)[/b'];)

In today's "me first...me only" society...yes absolutely.

I don't consider these "mid-priced" restaurants but rather large chain restaurants that offer good meals at cheap prices; perhaps one step above McD's and Burger King. Nothing wrong with them, as a matter of fact I like them both, but they are hardly in the same category as a cruise ship that you've spend $$$s to sail on. Dining on a cruise ship is more like going to dinner with your boss at the Ritz.

however, they don't serve you in an elegant atmosphere with fine linens and china and 4-5 courses. Some how, I can't equate a Princess main dining room with Applebees.
Exactly.

Hi All,

As some one that has been there no luggage,

Princess will give you a small pack contains enough stuff for over night,

toothbrush, etc, I think includes white T shirt and socks.

However you also get on board money to buy clothes in store.

I was also offered the ships tailor to adjust a ships tux for formal night.

As to Princess following dress code they need to stick by the rules.

yours Shogun

Princess's approach seems more than reasonable to me. Last summer we flew British Airways to London before our British Isles cruise. Three of our family's four bags did not arrive at Heathrow. BA gave us each a bag with toothbrush and white T-shirt. Our 3 missing bags did not show up for four full days. (Fortunately we flew in a week early, so we had everything in plenty of time for the cruise). At least we had cross packed so we each had a little something in the one suitcase that arrived with our flight. But all we got out of BA was the T-shirt and toothbrush.

We always pack a carry on for each of us that way if the big suit cases don't make it then we have enough clothes to get us through till they come. I bet they will do that from now on. Lesson learned.:eek:;)

We do the same, because one time our luggage wasn't brought to our room in time for us to make the dining room, ...we went to the buffet because we didn't want to look out of place in the dining room.

I just don't understand why someone always has to think that they our the exception.

We always pack a carry on for each of us that way if the big suit cases don't make it then we have enough clothes to get us through till they come. I bet they will do that from now on. Lesson learned.:eek:;)

We do the same, because one time our luggage wasn't brought to our room in time for us to make the dining room, ...we went to the buffet because we didn't want to look out of place in the dining room.

I just don't understand why someone always has to think that they our the exception.

That's a shame because there is no suggested dress requirements on the first night. Anything you're wearing is OK.

Did the fellow try to keep the tux pants?? That would have worked.

We had newly weds at our table and the fellow did notpack pants because he did not know he needed them. All the guys at the table offered to loan a pair. The newly weds never came back to the dining room. I truely believe sometimes we don't hear the full story of why folks don't return and feel that they can work it out IF they really want to.

My theory is that sometimes it works out that not going to dining room is what they really wanted all along.....

But I certainly hope everyone has an enjoyable cruise.

We had newly weds at our table and the fellow did notpack pants because he did not know he needed them.

I think we will find more and more first time Princess cruisers not knowing this and other essential information.

This is because Princess no longer mails out the Cruise Answer Book and people are as likely to download it and print it out as they are likely to read "terms and conditions" on any Internet site.

That was nice to let them borrow some clothes. But I'm trying to figure out what happen here: did the airline misplace their luggage? If so, had their changed their flight (the first time a bag of mine went missing was when I caught an earlier flight that was available, but fortunately that was on my return flight; the other was when my mother, traveling with me, ticked off the counterpeople, and our bags were taken off on another stop, again fort. on the return flight).

The reason why I'm asking is that maybe new cruisers who are reading this thread may get some ideas (such as splitting up your clothing between your bags so that some of your clothing is in your spouse's; also, flying in at least a day ahead, so if a bag gets lost, you have a day to track down a few pieces of clothing and toiletries; also, putting in a long pair of pants in your carryon if you're wearing shorts on the plane, which I couldn't do as the inside temp would be too cold).

Too bad Princess has stopped sending out a brochure ahead of time. Maybe they should have a short list of tips for the new cruiser that is emailed or mailed to those new to Princess.

Did they fly in the day of or the the day before the cruise?

That's a shame because there is no suggested dress requirements on the first night. Anything you're wearing is OK.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Any Non-Formal dining night requires "Smart Casual" attire including Sail-Away dinner. It is even listed in the top corner of the Patter.

Archived