New late check out process.

I'm glad to see that it's limited to a certain number, as the WJ is quite crowded now, while people wait till 1PM to be able to drop carry on's in their cabin.

It would be interesting to see how RCCL monitors this.

Rick

So you leave the ship (luggage and all) at 7am and go sightseeing? Fair enough!

Nope, I get up at the crack of dawn because I love watching the ship arrive in port. I am eating breakfast at 7AM. I'm usually ready to leave the ship by 8AM to go into Old San Juan. The luggage goes to the airport with the valet service. I don't see it until we get to our home airport. Flight home is around 6:30PM so obviously I am not rushing off the ship to get back to work.

Not really, I'd rather take my time getting back to work than get up at the crack of dawn and fret about being the first one off the ship.

Each to their own I guess.

Pete

Because I can't think of any other reason why so many people want to be the first off. Do you have another / better theory?

Who said anything about being the first one off the ship, or fretting about it??? I just don't want to hang around; vacation is over and the day ahead is a travel day:D

Who said anything about being the first one off the ship, or fretting about it??? I just don't want to hang around; vacation is over and the day ahead is a travel day:D

That is exactly how I feel when we cruise out of Florida.

It was available on the Mariner in San Pedro this last February.

Hi Peggy

How did they offer this? Was it something you signed up for on the ship or did you have to pre book before your cruise? Our flights back to Australia isn't until 10.30pm so this would suit my family.

Thanks for any help

Hi Peggy

How did they offer this? Was it something you signed up for on the ship or did you have to pre book before your cruise? Our flights back to Australia isn't until 10.30pm so this would suit my family.

Thanks for any help

Hi Rose, from I can see of European sailings, it is offered as a 'shore' excursion, so it can be pre-booked and paid for. I would assume that if the limited capacity hasn't been exceeded, that they would offer this onboard during the cruise.

Here's a link to an example late departure option for Adventure of the Seas when she was departing from Barcelona. There are more for other departure ports.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000PECYO-iH_rjLZ9GQY5VRlHp:13dlld2p2?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=BRC7&DestinationCode=

Hi Rose, from I can see of European sailings, it is offered as a 'shore' excursion, so it can be pre-booked and paid for. I would assume that if the limited capacity hasn't been exceeded, that they would offer this onboard during the cruise.

Here's a link to an example late departure option for Adventure of the Seas when she was departing from Barcelona. There are more for other departure ports.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000PECYO-iH_rjLZ9GQY5VRlHp:13dlld2p2?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=BRC7&DestinationCode=

Like he said! :D

Not for us. Out of the cabin by 9! Why would you want to be in the cabin area with the vacuums, laundry bags, luggage, banging doors etc. Certainly could not sleep in. All but your carry-on has gone ashore so you are left with minimum of baggage which you still have to keep track of. I like that you can board very early on embarkation day and this would likely change with late lingerers. Or as someone said, that opens the door for a charge for early boarding! Your cabins would probably not be ready by 1 if folks check out late. For that price you could take a cab to some local attraction after you check your bags at the airport. We booked an excursion in SJU the last time and they took our bags to the airport and we joined them later. Worked well. That makes lots more sense. I don't see many public areas being very available from 9 AM to 1:00 with all the hussle for the next crowd. You can't even get a coke or a drink on disemarkation days at most of the public areas. Don't think we would do it.

is this available on all ships now? We also have a late flight and don't want to spend so much time at the airport. I would do it for 35.00.

This was also available on the 6/8 - 6/20 Brilliance cruise. We didn't take advantage of it because we were staying a night in Barcelona.

Like he said! :D

Thanks guys. I had a quick look and couldn't find anything so i'll check again when it gets closer to sailing date.

I love the idea of staying on board later. I just sat outside the crappy Cape Liberty cruise terminal (Bayonne, NJ) for 4 hours waiting for our Yankee Trails bus to arrive and would have been much more comfortable on the ship.

We sailed around Tahiti in 2004 on Princess and could stay on board till called for our flight after dinner. Out of cabin at usual time, hand luggage stored, did more sightseeing and shopping, back for dinner, changed into winter clothes and off to airport. Repeated trip on Paul Gauguin in January - trip included a dayroom at hotel with dinner and then off to airport. All flights leave Papeete around 11pm or midnight, so this was a great perk. It would be nice if all cruise lines were so accommodating.

Not for us. Out of the cabin by 9! Why would you want to be in the cabin area with the vacuums, laundry bags, luggage, banging doors etc. Certainly could not sleep in. All but your carry-on has gone ashore so you are left with minimum of baggage which you still have to keep track of. I like that you can board very early on embarkation day and this would likely change with late lingerers. Or as someone said, that opens the door for a charge for early boarding! Your cabins would probably not be ready by 1 if folks check out late. For that price you could take a cab to some local attraction after you check your bags at the airport. We booked an excursion in SJU the last time and they took our bags to the airport and we joined them later. Worked well. That makes lots more sense. I don't see many public areas being very available from 9 AM to 1:00 with all the hussle for the next crowd. You can't even get a coke or a drink on disemarkation days at most of the public areas. Don't think we would do it.

You still have to be out of your cabin by 9 even if you do late off. The cabins will still be cleaned on time.

We've signed up to stay onboard in September in Venice. Main reason is we are headed straight to a hotel, spending the night, sightseeing the next day etc, then joining a land tour for 15 more days. So, by staying onboard we can have a leisurely departure and one last FREE lunch before checking into the hotel. I'm sure the hotel wouldn't let us check in early, although they would probably store our luggage for us. It just seems much easier to have the late departure. Luggage retrieval should be much easier also--there are 3 late departure times and you cannot stay onboard past your requested departure times. Each of the 3 departure times will have the luggage for that time in a secure area so there shouldn't be nearly as much luggage to sort through. (We're leaving at 1:30 pm but we could have stayed on until 4 pm.) Unless we were flying out late in the afternoon or evening, we probably wouldn't do it.

Linda (and C. D.)

Although I haven't read the news article from RC on this topic...I just don't see the logistics of this whatsoever. As others have pointed out, the day of embarkation is usually maddening enough with everyone getting on and things just generally being crazy. Now we have more people staying on the ship to add to the mix?? :confused:

As well, how are they going to scan the ship to see if all (like Uncle Festus that sat at the bar and is now roaring drunk hours later) of these 'extra' passengers have departed as proposed? (once again, I only caught that these 'extras' can go to the pool and the WJ so I'm not sure about the bars)

I just feel this is unfair to the new guests boarding and I for one would feel out of place. We aren't the first ones off, but I would rather just start my decent home. I am trying to picture this on the Oasis one day...yikes. LOL (yes, I did catch that it's European cruises only right now but that could change in the future). To me, it just sounds like RC trying to add more money in their pockets.

Although I haven't read the news article from RC on this topic...I just don't see the logistics of this whatsoever. As others have pointed out, the day of embarkation is usually maddening enough with everyone getting on and things just generally being crazy. Now we have more people staying on the ship to add to the mix?? :confused:

As well, how are they going to scan the ship to see if all (like Uncle Festus that sat at the bar and is now roaring drunk hours later) of these 'extra' passengers have departed as proposed? (once again, I only caught that these 'extras' can go to the pool and the WJ so I'm not sure about the bars)

I just feel this is unfair to the new guests boarding and I for one would feel out of place. We aren't the first ones off, but I would rather just start my decent home. I am trying to picture this on the Oasis one day...yikes. LOL (yes, I did catch that it's European cruises only right now but that could change in the future). To me, it just sounds like RC trying to add more money in their pockets.

They have said numbers would be limited, as you have to book it like a Shore Excursion. An extra 100 passengers wouldn't make a difference IMHO on embarkation day. Many seem to be interpreting this like 1000 or so people would be interested in this option. And I disagree about it being a money maker for Royal, it is a convenience for late-flight passengers, not unlike the Luggage Valet is a convenience for passengers.

Thanks Melanie for updating me as I had missed that point. But still, how do they know for sure these people have debarked at the proper time? What will the ship do if they show in the system that say 4 of them didn't get off? Will this hold up the rest of the ship that day from leaving? This is where I'm lost at. If someone's sea pass card wasn't scanned that was supposed to be off, what does the ship do at that point? This was the glitch I was visioning.

We've booked the late checkout for our Adventure cruise in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to a leisurely morning whilst everyone else waits in lounges to be called to leave the ship. We'll have lunch and head off at around 1pm to get our late afternoon flight. Another advantage is that there won't be the usual 1 hr queue to get a taxi to the airport.

Pete

No thanks! Would rather put that $35 per person to better use off the ship -- take a tour en route to the airport.

Who wants to be on board with all the preps for the next sailing going on around you? It would be anything but relaxing as cleaning, cabin prep, etc. is going on all around you? People in the stairwells and elevators getting off the ship, people in the public lounges waiting to get off the ship, people eating in the WJ before leaving the ship, crew getting shore leave, supplies being loaded, etc.

MARAPRINCE

We did on the AOS in June,

You get a colored band for your wrist to let the staff know you have a late departure.

If you used a Credit Card for you onboard set up, then you carry on using your sign and sail card, if not you can use a credit card.

You get a special luggage tag for you bags and they are kept secure until you get off.

You can take you carry on luggage to one of the lounges were a member of staff will look after it.

You can use the showers and changing room in the spa.

Archived