New late check out process.

....Princess does in Tahiti. The flights there are also late. You can stay on all day and not pay ANYTHING extra on Princess there.

Yes and it's very nice for Princess to do this considering they know that all the flights are really late. The thing with this cruise is that unless people flew in early, most people are going to be coming in later as well because the flights all come in later so it's not a problem. Since the ship doesn't leave until the next day in the evening, a lot of people don't feel the need to rush to the ship on Day 1, thus not creating such a hectic atmosphere. When we were there, we had planned on eating breakfast, getting off the ship and walking around a bit but it turned out it was Good Friday or something like that where pretty much everything was closed (including that big open air market that we had saved for the end:( so we went back on board and hung out at the the pool all day having a few more drinks! There weren't too many people on board and when we went to eat an early dinner (yes, we were still there for dinner as our flight wasn't until 11pm), that is when we noticed it started to fill up.

It would be nice if other cruise lines offered this, but from a logistical standpoint it could be difficult to make sure that they are not going to go over their capacity at any one point. By selling the option, they are getting to control who can stay on. Once they sell the max amount of spaces they feel is acceptable they can say they are sold-out, etc.

First On ....... Last Off !!! Right ??? Come on folks.... your cruise is 7 NIGHTS ..... not 8 days.

Yep, that's what I want, first on, last off, what's wrong with that if I'm willing to pay? And I can count, the cruise is 7 nights, but when travelling from the US back to the UK, flights do not leave until late afternoon, early evening, so I'd rather spend the time before my flight in the comfort of the cruise ship, outdoors in most cases, not an airport terminal if this was available at US ports.

The above newspaper had an article in the travel section where RCI was planning on expanding the program because it was successful in the trial ports. Here is the problem I see. Lets say 1000 to 1500 decide to stay on the ship until 1:00 pm or 2:00. Then you have 3000 new folks coming on the ship. Think it is hard now to find a seat in the WJ or a lounge chair at the pool. Although you would not see this many folks staying late image still if 500 took RCI up on the late departure. No thanks its way too many people on the ship for me. See link below if you would like to read the article

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/07/would-you-pay-35-to-have-a-few-extra-hours-on-a-cruise-ship-/99222/1

msts

It seems to me that not that so people would take advantage of it that it might become a problem with overcrowding. From what I can tell, the vast majority of cruisers get up at the crack of dawn to hightail it off the ship.

In my family, well ... we're late risers. And we're on Mountain Time. (I try not to "let" my sons switch over to EST and/or EDT because that would mean, back in Colorado, having to get up at 4am to make them breakfast. NOOOOO!)

In addition, even if we wanted to, we can never get a flight before 3pm to Denver from the East Coast. So we stay in our cabin until 9-0:30 or so (I know! I know! Don't hate on me!) and are always among the last off the ship. We would gladly pay for this convenience and to spend a little more time in the Windjammer rather than the FLL airport.

Ok folks before you sound the alarm bells did you notices it says "LIMITED AVAILABILITY"

So it doesn't mean that 1,500 will be allowed to stay onboard ;)

And I think this is awesome! We have had some late flights and would have loved a day to stay at the pool for a few more hours. I would no doubt take advantage of this and would be willing to pay for it if we ever had the opportunity.

Ok folks before you sound the alarm bells did you notices it says "LIMITED AVAILABILITY"

So it doesn't mean that 1,500 will be allowed to stay onboard ;)

And I think this is awesome! We have had some late flights and would have loved a day to stay at the pool for a few more hours. I would no doubt take advantage of this and would be willing to pay for it if we ever had the opportunity.

Crusinmama,

You are correct but what is limited 100, 300, 500 etc. Once the cruise lines begin adding fees it is hard for them to pull back. My only problem as said before - If I coming on at

noon or 1230 the WJ is already crowded with people just eating or sitting and waiting for the cabins to open up.

Mike

Brilliance of the Seas has this, for $35 you can stay onboard till 4pm, this has to be better than hanging around at the Airport.

Drinks are charged to your CC, food is available, and you can use the pools etc, it has to be cheaper and more comfortable than the airport.

If you have a suite or are d+ you can use the Concierge lounge for a quite area and coffee.

Not only that, your baggage is safe and your children are not as board.

The only drawback is once you leave you were not allowed back on board, but maybe if you ask this will be allowed.

Limited to 100

g

This was offered on our cruise out of Barcelona in June. We couldn't take advantage of it.

Wish it was available out of Florida. We had 5 pm flights last time as they were the cheapest. We rented a car, went to the beach and had lunch which I'm sure altogether was more then $70 for 2 of us. I would have been happy to take a chair by the pool, had more honey stung chicken, and leave @ 3 pm.

I don't think that many people would do it. Most people are off the ship long before we are. We like to take our time if our flight allows. It takes us all day with connecting flights to get home anyway.

For some of our cruises we have only been able to select late afternoon & evening flights for our return. On more than one of those we selected an after excursion in either Miami or Ft Lauderdale in order to kill time and transport luggage. While we enjoyed the times that we did those excursions, we also had the experience (2x) of having those same excursions cancelled due to not enough passengers signing up.

Being able to pay an additional fee and remain on the ship would work for us and I assume would generate additional income for the cruise line. I would hope that they would not be limited to a "minimum required" as well but could see that they may need to have a maximum cut-off.

Brilliance of the Seas has this, for $35 you can stay onboard till 4pm, this has to be better than hanging around at the Airport.

Drinks are charged to your CC, food is available, and you can use the pools etc, it has to be cheaper and more comfortable than the airport.

If you have a suite or are d+ you can use the Concierge lounge for a quite area and coffee.

Not only that, your baggage is safe and your children are not as board.

The only drawback is once you leave you were not allowed back on board, but maybe if you ask this will be allowed.

Limited to 100

g

Goerget - I doubt you can use the CL even if you have a suite or are D+, as the cards will no longer work!!!

I think this is a fabulous idea and well worth paying for. We usually try to book a post cruise hotel but when we have to leave, they are usually overnight flights and "hanging" around somewhere is less than desirable.

Thanks Laura for posting the clear details.

Cruise Critic news just posted an article that late checkout would be available on all RCCL ships in Europe. Hope it's availble in Sau Paulo, Brazil in Dec. Flight doesn't leave for US until 10 pm.

The RCI press person, Harrison Liu, told us that the line is exploring options to expand the program beyond Europe, but for now ... it's just the ships in Europe offering late departure. Sue Bryant, who wrote the piece for Cruise Critic, is British, and she mentioned how nice the option would be for Brits sailing in the Caribbean -- flights back across the pond are typically scheduled at night.

I'd only do this if i could keep my luggage with me--having it hang aound in the port area is asking for trouble... esp, since most bags look alike. If someone takes yours they'd be long gone by the time you find out! I once rescued one of our bags just before a man was placing into his limo--it was an error but if I had been sitting on the ship my bag would have been going home with some else!!

Dear friends:

As long as you are out of your cabin by 9 a.m. no alert, via the cabin steward, is generated to the cruise line.

Now, if the procedure is going to be that there are departing guests that can stay onboard until 3 p.m. -- how is RCCL going to monitor guests who stay onboard but do not pay the 35 dollars?

I can't imagine RCCL paging or looking for 200 guests around the ship who might decide to do this -- or perhaps when they do finally leave the ship at 3 p.m. they will be asked to pay the 35 dollars.

I just don't see how RCCL will be able to successfully police the people who attempt to stay onboard but do not pay the fee.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dear friends:

As long as you are out of your cabin by 9 a.m. no alert, via the cabin steward, is generated to the cruise line.

Now, if the procedure is going to be that there are departing guests that can stay onboard until 3 p.m. -- how is RCCL going to monitor guests who stay onboard but do not pay the 35 dollars?

I can't imagine RCCL paging or looking for 200 guests around the ship who might decide to do this -- or perhaps when they do finally leave the ship at 3 p.m. they will be asked to pay the 35 dollars.

I just don't see how RCCL will be able to successfully police the people who attempt to stay onboard but do not pay the fee.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Since they scan your seapass when you leave the ship maybe they will add a $35.00 charge to everyone's account who doesn't scan off the ship by last call or add it if you scan out after a certain time.

$100 for my family of 4 would be worth paying. It would cost me way more to get off the ship, sight see around, more than one taxi to get me eventually to the airport, food, happiness of the kids not being dragged around. To me worth every cent!!!! We try our best to co-ordinate flights so that we are able to get off the ship and get to the airport with the least amount of wait. Airline price plays a huge factor to the flight times!!

First On ....... Last Off !!! Right ??? Come on folks.... your cruise is 7 NIGHTS ..... not 8 days.

Well I must say the logic of this is beyond me.

A charge for early boarding (anytime before 3:00) is next. I broke out the PLTAG crystal ball a year or so ago and predicted the early charge and the ensuing outrage here at CC.

There's a load of difference between a charge for a late checkout and charging for an early check in.

I've noticed that there's a lot of Americans on these boards who seemed to be obsessed with getting off the ship as soon as possible. I can onlly assume that they want to do this so that they can go to work on disembarkation day.

Us Brits / Europeans have much more generous holiday allowances (mine is 28 days plus public holidays) and therefore we don't really understand this mindset. Furthermore, a lot of people fly across Europe to get to cruise ports and these flights are often more expensive in the middle of the day than at the end of the day. Therefore this late departure is a really good way of filling 6 hours or so before a late afternnon or early evening flight. In fact, holiday hotels have been charging a late checkout fee for years. I'm the furst to criticise RCI for taking things away or charging for things that were previously free. This does not seem to be the case for the late departure so I think it's a good thing.

Pete

There's a load of difference between a charge for a late checkout and charging for an early check in.

I've noticed that there's a lot of Americans on these boards who seemed to be obsessed with getting off the ship as soon as possible. I can onlly assume that they want to do this so that they can go to work on disembarkation day.

Us Brits / Europeans have much more generous holiday allowances (mine is 28 days plus public holidays) and therefore we don't really understand this mindset. Furthermore, a lot of people fly across Europe to get to cruise ports and these flights are often more expensive in the middle of the day than at the end of the day. Therefore this late departure is a really good way of filling 6 hours or so before a late afternnon or early evening flight. In fact, holiday hotels have been charging a late checkout fee for years. I'm the furst to criticise RCI for taking things away or charging for things that were previously free. This does not seem to be the case for the late departure so I think it's a good thing.

Pete

Why would you make that assumption?

I think this is a good solution for people that have no choice but to book a later flight.

I personally, would not opt for this if I am returning to a Florida port. Since we live on the east coast it takes us about 3-5 hours of travel time to get home. Your assumption that I want to go to work the same day we get off the ship is incorrect, at least for me. The day we return to port is a travel day, not a vacation day. My vacation is over; let the next round of passengers begin their vacation.

Pete

If someone were not paying you to not go to work would you then understand it?

Archived