Not part of the cruise, but...

Winters in NZ

Our TA has included a stop in Las Vegas after we disembark the Mercury on our September cruise, Vancouver to San Diego. Does anyone here have some insight re the one day bus tours which travel to the Grand Canyon ? I have been looking at Grand Canyon South Rim Bus Tour.

We took a day trip to the Grand Canyon on our first visit to Vegas. It was several years ago and I'm sorry but I can't remember which company we used. It was a very long day, but certainly worth it.

Jo

I lived in Las Vegas for 13 years, moving away in 2005, and know very little about the Grand Canyon tours. The one thing I will mention is that it is between 5-6 hours drive to the Canyon from LV by bus, making for a very long day, with more travel time than stopping and sightseeing time while there. I don't know if it is your budget, but I suggest you checking into one of the many helicopter flights to the Canyon instead. It will give you more time to be there instead of getting there.

It's a cool tour, if you've never been to the Canyon...you won't get to see the entire thing...it's HUGE, but you'll get the "flavor" of it.

I'd rather spend my time in Vegas, with a short side trip to Hoover Dam....Vegas is AWESOME!

My husband and I took a bus tour to the Grand Canyon from Vegas 10 years ago. We knew it was probably our one chance to see it and we are really glad we did.

The tour we took was to the Native American Reservation. It was the Grand Canyon in all it's natural glory, as opposed to the National park, with the crowds, sidewalks, railings etc. I don't know if they still offer it, but it was very cool.

Most Grand Canyon tours also make a stop at Hoover Dam for pictures.

It is a very long ride, about three hours each way but the Grand Canyon is unbelievable. If you choose not to do the GC tour as someone mentioned the Dam is a great alternative. We did the Dam tour as well as a boat trip on Lake Mead....

I lived in Arizona for a number of years and I'm familiar with the tours to the Canyon. You're probably going to the North Rim and not the regular tourist area of the South Rim. Depending on when in September you're planning on, they can close the North Rim quite early due to bad weather. It's a very long trip, and a very long day and you really won't have a lot of time at the Canyon because of all the driving time---at least not enough time to do the Canyon justice.

Hi, we are on the same cruise and are going to Vegas for 5 nights. We are doing an overnight tour to the Grand Canyon staying in Thunderbird Lodge which I have booked separately. Grand Canyon Tours have a bus tour that stops at the Hoover Dam and Williamstown station with a short tour of the South rim in the afternoon. They pick us up at 3.30pm the next day leaving us plenty of time to do a few more tours. They also do day trips.

I've done a day tour to the Grand Canyon. Was it a long day? You betcha (we were 8 adults and 7 children--3 generations). Did a single one of us regret it? NO. I will never, as long as I live, forget the feeling I had when I first stood on the rim looking down. Some day I hope to go back and see more of it, but if I don't get there, I'm glad to have had that one day.

Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire are both deserving of a visit if you decide not to go to the Grand Canyon.

http://www.lvlg.com/lasvegas/attracts/parks.htm

We did a South Rim day trip. very long!! It included breakfast which was a horrible muffin and coffee (I only drink tea,) a buffet lunch ( worst food we ever had) many folks very buying candy bars at the gift shop after as they were hungry. But ...it was all about the canyon. So after lunch we headed there. We were promised 2.5 hours in the canyon area) Apparently the lunch was in the canyon area, so is the road in and out. So we had very little time which was a huge disappointment. ... It was the most amazing scenery ever!!!! Breathtaking.!!! I would only do an overnight the next time. We felt gipped. So we planned our overnight last Jan. after our canal cruise but there was a snowstorm in the canyon area and the roads were closed. We will return!!!!

I would say if you think you won't get another chance and you only have one day then do it. It really is a must see!!!!

Why not rent a car for 2 days and stay 1 night overnight at the canyon?

It is a long drive for 1 day and you will see more Interstate then Gr. Canyon that way.

You might want to check out helicopter trips from LAS or flight trips into the Caynon Area - they are not cheap but if you have your heart set on this part of the trip - this is an alternative

FWIW they are building an amazing new road at Hoover Dam (I assume to get the cars off the top of the dam itself for security reasons) and the construction process is incredible--the bridge is SO high and watching them build it from the cliffs on either side--well, indescribable! We were as interested in the road construction as all the other aspects of the dam. Really fascinating, and I hoe they are paying those guys a LOT of money!

If you do end up going to the Dam instead,,, we simply rented a car from the hotel for the day and drove there. It is a very easy drive. You can then just buy tickets to 2 or 3 different tour options at the dam. These are the same tours that a bus tour will take you to, so the car gives you more flexibility. It is a very easy drive, especially if you leave early in the morning. On our trip back to Vegas maybe 1 pm or so, the traffic was horrible heading to the dam, so another advantage of the rental car... you can go early.

Archived