Oceania post-cruise hotel problem!

cynadav

Don't you think it a bit harsh to consider people who opt to use O's hotel plan suckers?

Would you prefer inexperienced travelers?

If so, they can get "educated" right here on CC. There is no question that the hotel packages are outrageously overpriced and anyone with very little effort can get the same hotel/same room at a fraction of a price (including arranging for transfers).

The key here is that with Oceania's (and every other cruise line's) package you are paying per person (hotels and transfers). When you book yourself you are paying for ONE room only (and ONE taxi only).

It really is not that difficult; and for those that cannot book these things themselves online, their TA can (still only 1 room and not a per person price).

I can think of many better things to do with that extra money one can save :)

PS If one is prepared to spend that kind of money and not interested in savings, then they can stay at a much better hotel/club room, etc for the same price (or less).

Would you prefer inexperienced travelers?

If so, they can get "educated" right here on CC. There is no question that the hotel packages are outrageously overpriced and anyone with very little effort can get the same hotel/same room at a fraction of a price (including arranging for transfers).

The key here is that with Oceania's (and every other cruise line's) package you are paying per person (hotels and transfers). When you book yourself you are paying for ONE room only (and ONE taxi only).

It really is not that difficult; and for those that cannot book these things themselves online, their TA can (still only 1 room and not a per person price).

I can think of many better things to do with that extra money one can save :)

PS If one is prepared to spend that kind of money and not interested in savings, then they can stay at a much better hotel/club room, etc for the same price (or less).

I find a lot of the travelers that book hotels through the cruiseline dont even use the computer so cannot be educated at CC..I find it interesting that you think they are throwing away the money they worked for to make themselves comfortable by being picked up at the airport and taken to the hotel and then the ship without having to worry about doing anything themselves.

Paul, these are people who want to be taken care of and have made enough money through the years to do this..I am not sure why you dont understand the difference in travelers..If they drink $100 bottle of wine and you drink a $30 bottle of wine are they suckers? I dont think so, different strokes for different folks..I am just trying to explain different people have different needs! A discussion not an argument..

Jancruz1

I find a lot of the travelers that book hotels through the cruiseline dont even use the computer so cannot be educated at CC..I find it interesting that you think they are throwing away the money they worked for to make themselves comfortable by being picked up at the airport and taken to the hotel and then the ship without having to worry about doing anything themselves.

Paul, these are people who want to be taken care of and have made enough money through the years to do this..I am not sure why you dont understand the difference in travelers..If they drink $100 bottle of wine and you drink a $30 bottle of wine are they suckers? I dont think so, different strokes for different folks..I am just trying to explain different people have different needs! A discussion not an argument..

Jancruz1

Jan,

I understand what you are saying but for the sake of discussion (not argument) let me say this.

I don’t believe that it is simply a matter of money or what one can afford – it’s more a matter of not being informed or aware of the difference as well as all the options that are available.

There are plenty of people who have lots of money but even they don’t want to “throw it away”. Why would they want to pay twice as much for the same room – even if they can well afford it. Like I said, for the same amount, they can stay at a much better property or a better hotel and please don’t tell me that they would not like that option (especially those people that have a lot of money to spend).

If they are not computer savvy and use a TA, then IMO, it is the TA’s responsibility to inform them of all their options and explain to them the difference in cost of booking hotels/transfers with the cruise line vs on their own or with a TA. They can be “well taken care of” without wasting their well earned money (and I know nobody wants to do that no matter how much money they have).

Your scenario applies only to people who do not have a computer, do not use TA and simply call the cruise line to make all the reservations and arrangements - and there are a few of those (obviously they are not part of this discussion). I can see it for those people but not for anyone else; and I would still call those others inexperienced travelers (if not naïve, lazy or “suckers”).

JMO.

Slightly off topic, but still related - Paulchili, thanks for the recommendation of the Hotel Square in Copenhagen. I booked it for 4 nights before our next cruise.

Benita,

I think (I hope) you will be happy with your choice - great location, nice rooms and A/C!

If they drink $100 bottle of wine and you drink a $30 bottle of wine are they suckers?

Jancruz1

If they drink a $30 bottle of wine and pay $100 for it they are, which is what they are doing by letting O book their hotel for them

Happy Cruizer

My advice and experience has been that if you have a question about their literature or brochures, pick up the phone and call the cruise line to inquire. my group traveled on Nautica through the Aegean in Sept of 2009, and we all loved the experience, food, service, ship, etc. but I as the health problem child had concerns. For one, i cant have any fragrance, etc in any of the bath products i use or i become a broken out splotchy mess, so i called the cruise line to see if they had hypo allergenic non fragrance products, not only did they tell me yes, but there was a special note in our cabin when i arrived telling me that I would not need to ask for more, the room steward had been notified to supply our room with the hypoallergenic stuff

Thank you, Jan, for coming to my defense re: the "sucker" remark. It never ceases to amaze me how people can get away with name calling. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but I don't consider myself lazy, naive or a sucker. While I always enjoyed and learned from Paulchili's posts, I can't believe he would stoop to name calling. We work hard all year to pay for our vacations and how we choose to spend our money is really no one's business!

Thank you, Jan, for coming to my defense re: the "sucker" remark. It never ceases to amaze me how people can get away with name calling. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but I don't consider myself lazy, naive or a sucker. While I always enjoyed and learned from Paulchili's posts, I can't believe he would stoop to name calling. We work hard all year to pay for our vacations and how we choose to spend our money is really no one's business!

You are very welcome..all I have been trying to say all along is different strokes for different folks..

Jancruz1

. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but I don't consider myself lazy, naive or a sucker. While I always enjoyed and learned from Paulchili's posts, I can't believe he would stoop to name calling. We work hard all year to pay for our vacations and how we choose to spend our money is really no one's business!

GrammieK,

I am sorry you feel insulted - that was not my intension and I apologize.

Rather my intention was to help those that have a choice to make better choices.

You are absolutely correct - you, and everyone else, can spend your money anyway you wish and it is nobody's business.

However, I wish you would reconsider as you obviously are bright enough and computer savvy - especially as, you say, "we work hard all year to pay for our vacations".

In the end, you and everyone else, can do as they wish with their money (and lives):)

The end.

Regardless of off-topic comments, slips of the pen and apologies, I sincerely hope OP will post an update of final disposition. This awful outcome and lack of interest of BOTH parties (hotel and Oceania) to accept any responsibility is critical and we will watch with interest, as sure others will. We are considering Arts post-cruise but will scratch 'em if they don't respond to OP.

I have to take Paulchili off the hook here. The "sucker" comment was mine, not his. But as usual her made all the points I would have very succinctly. I don't care how much money one has or has earned it is silly to toss it away. A good TA would inform his/her clients that they can get the same room and transfers for far less without sacrificing any convenience.

Five years ago, my husband and I used Oceania's hotel program. I made the plans for sightseeing, but just didn't want the responsibility for the transfers and hotel. We just did not feel confident enough. It was Barcelona and we were on our own. Previously we had gone to Ireland and I made all the arrangements (language was not a potential barrier). We have been on tours of Greece and France and plans were pretty much made for us. A few years ago we enjoyed a Rhine River cruise and I made all the plans (hotel pre and sightseeing). ofcourse we now know how much money we ......lost, wasted, whatever, but at the time if felt safe for us to stay in Barcelona at a place O had on the program. I would have been insulted if other travelers thought we were "suckers"; and yet, we were, unknowingly. There were several other couples in that hotel from the ship. We would have been devastated to have had the experience of the OP (and am grateful for our ingnorance of not having to worry!).

BTW our TA had clarified the per person factor, but we still needed the security at that time. CC was not on our resource list. Yahoo was the message board we used and I did not even pay attention to where people were staying. That was then.

I hope Oceania will try to do a little healing for the OP.

Slightly off topic, but still related - Paulchili, thanks for the recommendation of the Hotel Square in Copenhagen. I booked it for 4 nights before our next cruise.

Hi, Benita, I will be very interested to read your opinion of the Hotel Square because we will need to book a Copenhagen hotel for our pre-cruise visit next June. (And the reviews on sister website tripadvisor have been discouraging of late.)

Hi, Benita, I will be very interested to read your opinion of the Hotel Square because we will need to book a Copenhagen hotel for our pre-cruise visit next June. (And the reviews on sister website tripadvisor have been discouraging of late.)

Actually, I am an early planner. We won't be there until June 26. I saw the reviews on Trip Advisor - most of the complaints seem to be about the street noise, so I requested a room overlooking an air shaft or alleyway - I would gladly sacrifice view for quiet. I only found a couple of other hotels that were in a good location and had airconditioning and they were at least double the price, which adds up for a 5 night stay. I will keep looking, but at booked it for now. I'll let you know if I find something better and please, keep me in mind if you do the same. We will be on the July 1 Marina sailing.

Your example doesn't hold up because the $100 bottle of wine and the $30 bottle of wine aren't the same item. One presumably is of a higher quality.

If I can book a hotel room for $250 or book the exact same room (or class of room) for $500 per person I'd think that this was a waste of money (JMO).

I find it interesting that you cite that the premium paid is valued as being taken care of rather than not understanding that they are paying a multiple for something they need not pay a multiple for.

There is a fear that is fostered by all cruise lines that if you do your own thing you'll somehow miss the boat (literally). If you don't use our transfers, if you don't take our excursions, if you don't use our hotels you need to know that the ship may sail without you. :eek:

I certainly agree that people are entitled to spend their money in whatever way they see fit - I spend on things others think are crazy (cabanas anyone?). There is a law of diminishing returns and there are certainly those with a much, much higher threshold than myself. Not unlike the $2 for laundry in the "other" thread - I don't get that either.

I guess I've talked myself all the way around this issue while composing this reply:D

Spend away!

Jancruz1

I find it bizarre that some people actually care how I spend my money! If the demand for cruise lines to arrange pre and post hotels wasn't there, I don't think that they would go to the trouble. I find it just as bizarre that I want to explain myself! A fault on my part...As a wise poster on another board pointed out:

Consider the 3 "F"'s when deciding if someone's opinion should be important

1. Do you "F"eed me?

2. Do you "F"inance me?

3. Do you "?#X&^%"....Make love to me?

(I guess that means I must consider my husband's opinion with my always overweight luggage).

• 1 month later...

UPDATE--I am happy to report that Oceania has made this right. It took about four weeks for them to respond to our letter, but they did refund our money. They refunded the entire amount that we had paid for the hotel package in Barcelona. Although they never really apologized or took responsibility, they did more than we expected. Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and support.

UPDATE--I am happy to report that Oceania has made this right. It took about four weeks for them to respond to our letter, but they did refund our money. They refunded the entire amount that we had paid for the hotel package in Barcelona. Although they never really apologized or took responsibility, they did more than we expected. Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and support.

Lawyers typically preclude apologies or taking responsibilty in writing. Just the American way. But the bottomline is they made you whole. Way to go, both for you persuing the matter and O settling it.

Thanks for checking in.

Archived