RevNeal LIVE! From the ms Prinsendam

RevNeal

I remember this past Fall, someone posted a photo of a UK Gentleman totally wrapped up in the Blue Tarp!! So it appears he is till cruising with his Tarp.:)

I dost believe you described our EssiesMom with regards to the Doll People. But she is a wonderful lady and I adore her. I have to add that she does not sit by herself and none of us thought she was weird. LOVE YOU EM!!

I am so loving yours and aarzz's threads. Sounds though like you were smart in taking ook the tour bus, while they rented vehicles in the port before Faroe Island... Hilarious post with all the back seat passengers:D

OMG!! I have to see the Falkirk Wheel in person now!! I could not picture it before, Now.... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joanie

falkirkwheel01b.jpg

--The Falkirk Wheel in action, just north of Edinburgh.

Hi Greg, I have done two of those narrow boat canal trips in England. I actually enjoyed the canal process on them in miniature more than the Panama Canal. I have heard of the Falkirk Wheel and it is so nice to see your photo!

Thank you so much for taking us along, in words and pictures.

On the front page, this thread is highlighted with five gold stars under the headline. Not sure how or why.....but I couldn't agree more! :D

Hi, Mary-Lou. It has to do with the facilities at Greenwich … or the lack thereof. There simply isn’t sufficient cruise-terminal dock facilities to service the Prinsendam adequately. People and luggage would be waiting outdoors for hours (London … rain … remember?), the ship wouldn’t be properly serviced with fresh water or electricity, and access for those with physical challenges (read: wheel chairs) is entirely inadequate. Additionally, there were severe tidal issues restricting when the Prisendam can enter and leave that area of the Thames. Greenwich is building a new dock and terminal, and the Thames is being dredged, and so there should an ability to service the Prinsendam for the embarkation of new passengers and disembarkation of same by 2012. Captain Albert was more elaborate in his explanation, but that’s it in a nut-shell. The Prinsendam docked at Greenwich once last year and it was a disaster; the Captain said he would refuse to take the Prinsendam there again until such time as they have adequate facilities.

One other aspect that Captain Albert told us on the cruise that we just ended on Prinsendam : Greenwich is a tendering port...just imagine the headaches and horror stories linked to the need of moving all the luggage on and off the ship on the turn over day....not to mention the supplies, the passengers, the new entertainers, etc.

Another report that makes me wish I were with you doing this cruise again. And what pictures! They sure do remind me of the Faroes. Rugged, long, lush, deep green grass, and not a single tree.

But did you have to remind me of The Hat Lady??? It's been seven years, and just like a bad LSD trip---back she comes! :eek:

Hi, Mary-Lou. It has to do with the facilities at Greenwich … or the lack thereof. There simply isn’t sufficient cruise-terminal dock facilities to service the Prinsendam adequately. People and luggage would be waiting outdoors for hours (London … rain … remember?), the ship wouldn’t be properly serviced with fresh water or electricity, and access for those with physical challenges (read: wheel chairs) is entirely inadequate. Additionally, there were severe tidal issues restricting when the Prisendam can enter and leave that area of the Thames. Greenwich is building a new dock and terminal, and the Thames is being dredged, and so there should an ability to service the Prinsendam for the embarkation of new passengers and disembarkation of same by 2012. Captain Albert was more elaborate in his explanation, but that’s it in a nut-shell. The Prinsendam docked at Greenwich once last year and it was a disaster; the Captain said he would refuse to take the Prinsendam there again until such time as they have adequate facilities.

Thanks soooo much, dear Greg! This makes so much sense.

And again: Deepest thanks for your marvelous reports. I'd love to hear one of your sermons some day. Where is your church?

Warmest wishes for a continued super cruise,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

One other aspect that Captain Albert told us on the cruise that we just ended on Prinsendam : Greenwich is a tendering port...just imagine the headaches and horror stories linked to the need of moving all the luggage on and off the ship on the turn over day....not to mention the supplies, the passengers, the new entertainers, etc.

And thanks for this additional info. Much appreciated.

Best,

Mary-Lou

Rev Neal, your updates are the highlight of my day. Loved the photos, too. I had been certain that Prinsendam's lovely stern silhouette had been ruined by the refit, but from your photo, I see she is just as beautiful as ever. Thanks for the views of the Castle of Mey and the Faroes, too. And you have Frank Buckingham as port lecturer! What more could you want? I'm coming back as Frank Buckingham in my next life.

Looking forward to your next update.

Vicariously, Mrs M (Linda)

Rev Neal, thank you for the wonderful commentary and beautiful pictures about your cruise. Since we are fairly new to cruising, this just wets our appetite more. We have put Hawaii and an extended Caribbean on our future wish list. Enjoy your cruise.

Jim

This man was on our May cruise on the Maasdam from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal. We didn't recognize him when we saw him dressed up on formal nights. We saw him at many ports taking many pictures. He usually got a lot of stares from people around him. We were surprised when we saw him leaving the ship in Montreal and saw all his luggage! I believe he is Dutch. He must cruise a lot. I enjoyed reading your comments about him. Enjoy your cruise. We enjoyed a cruise on the Prinsendam last year and would love to sail on her again some time.

What do those stars mean on your 'Live from" on the HAL board ?

I ran my cursor over it, and found it's an approval rating. I just have never seen one before, and can't figure out where it came from.

Thank you so much for taking us along, in words and pictures.

On the front page, this thread is highlighted with five gold stars under the headline. Not sure how or why.....but I couldn't agree more! :D

I agree with you on the 5 Gold Stars.... I wonder how we can all vote??

Joanie

Could it have been "approved" because it is well-written, informative, entertaining, and free of drama?

AMEN!!!

All I care about is that someone in the "know" Made it a 5 star!!! Awesome to see as this is definitely a 5 star thread!!

Joanie

Greg,

Thank you so much for the answers. Ruth got back to me on the Ice Rating. But, I would still love to hear what the Captain has to say about Ice and his ship.

Ruth's account of the man on the Bow was most interesting.

And, if you or your prayers had anything to do with the improvement of the desserts, I'm divided: my head & pallet thank you, my middle section is looking for a Lawyer, and my feet & legs just groaned. LOL

One can only hope this is fleet-wide :rolleyes:

Again your photos hint of yet another calling passed over. They really capture what you are describing.

But, why are those islands so lush & green yet no trees grow ? :confused:

Now to the "fairness" part: you have made me so anxious to get to sea, and my next cruise is not until Hawaii in October; well, I'm desperate enough to book even the "Epic" to get back on the water. :p

I don't think prayer will be enough, I need an Exorcism :eek:

r.

I am glad to hear about your trip on the Prisendam. Looking forwardto my trip late August when you return. Can you tell me why they changed from London to Tilbury?? It seems a long way.... Keep posting.

Ruth's account of the man on the Bow was most interesting.

Thank you. Greg posted a picture which illustrates the area perfectly. At the exact point on the bow you can see some ladder-like steps, and a platform. That's where the officer layed down.

But, why are those islands so lush & green yet no trees grow ? :confused:

Very thin soil on rocks? So there's no place for roots?

Now to the "fairness" part: you have made me so anxious to get to sea, and my next cruise is not until Hawaii in October; well, I'm desperate enough to book even the "Epic" to get back on the water. :p

No! No! Things are never that desperate! Things will be better soon. October isn't that far away!

Live, man! Live! :D

I am just starting to cruise, and am savouring every moment from your wonderful cruise..I'm also keeping notes and think I'll have to add the Faroe Islands on my bucket list...

I also think that the crow's nest will probably be one of my favorite places...Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos and cruise..

Archived